Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Poisoning the land...  (Read 1121 times)

Offline ND Martin

Poisoning the land...
« on: February 25, 2013, 11:05:13 AM »
It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature...

US farmers flood fields with dangerous poison to fight Monsanto superweeds
 by Jon Rappoport

The total acreage of US farmland with resistant superweeds jumped by 51% in 2012. In 2011, it was a 25% increase. That upward- percentage escalation is called a nightmare.

Offline xtron

Re: Poisoning the land...
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 05:49:17 PM »
full disclosure...i am not a farmer, i grew up in a farming community, where my family and childhood friends still live and farm their family farms.  location, north west iowa..the heart of corn and soy bean farm land.

ONE...i do not turst anything that comes from mother jones...those folks have their tin foil hats pulled on too tight.

two...while i do not and would not use roundup on food crops, i think the whole GMO/roundup controversy is hugly over blown.

round up has been around and used for almost 30 years.  in the early 1980's a large number of broad leaf weeds had become resistant or immune to 2-4-D..the favored weed control for over 30 years.  because of this, roundup was developed to  replace 2-4-D for broadleaf control, and elimination of weeds 2-4-D did not control.
at first, extream care had to be used to prevent any roundup from getting on the crop plants, as even one drop would kill the plant.  things like rope wick applicators, and narrow band sprayers were developed.  then monsanto developed the infamose roundup ready crops, and regular wide band spraying was back in wide use....
now, after almost 30 years of wide spread use, a large number of weeds have become resistant, or immune to round up, the favored weed control.....wait...haven't we heard this some where before???  oh, yea...see above.

some researchers have discovered that the broad leaf weeds that are now resistant to roundup can be easily controled by........2-4-D.......go figure.

maybe the farming community needs to suck it up and take a giant step baclwards...to old fashoned 4 crop rotating.  if you grow corn in the same field for 5 years in a row, then beans for 5, then back to corn, is it any wonder the ground needs more and more expensive chemicals?? and at some point, there comes that state where no matter how much money you dump on the ground, yeilds cannot cover the cost.
however, if you did like granddad, and change crops every year, you greatly reduct the amount of pesticides, herbacides, and especially, fertalizer needed to be profitable.

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 08:47:17 AM »
...while i do not and would not use roundup on food crops, i think the whole GMO/roundup controversy is hugly over blown....

I disagree.  If anything, the Monsanto/GMO debacle is understated and the public is being kept in the dark by a compliant and corrupt media.

From Farmer's Weekly:

..."Farmers are paying extra for the technology but have seen yields which are no better than 10 years ago. They're starting to wonder why they're spending extra money on the technology."

One of the biggest problems the USA has seen with GM seed is resistance. While it was expected to be 40 years before resistance began to develop pests such as corn rootworm have formed a resistance to GM crops in as few as 14 years.

One of the issues if farmers do move back towards non-GMs will be the availability of seed, he said, as around 87% of US farmers plant genetically modified seed.

The top performing countries by crop yield last year were in Asia, in particular China, where farmers do not use GM seed.

Offline Haverwilde

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 01:54:46 PM »
Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 01:49:17 AM »

Chemical sterilization prior to organic production?  I don't think so.  Let's go to some source documents from the bureaucrats who define what exactly is 'organic'...

International standards.

USDA discussion of organic transition.

Basically, the transition to organic is accomplished with several years of rotating cover crops and refraining from dumping more poison on the land.  Sterilization of the soil is exactly the opposite of what needs to be done.

Offline Haverwilde

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 10:05:58 AM »
ND, You may call my comment Bovine Excrement if you want. Things may definitely have changed/improved. . There are published industry standards, and then there are actual industry practices. I was quite impressed with how disgusted my father was with the preparations for taking a farm to a point where they would start producing 'organic' foods. Needless to say, I have remained suspicious of 'organic' produce since.
Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 10:20:23 AM »
Well, bovine excrement is organic, but may not qualify as such if the animals are raised on hormones and pesticide-raised &/or GMO feed.

I don't mean to impugn your father's or your integrity, but your story is heresay based on visiting one farm how many years ago?  I can't find any references to the practice of chemical sterilization prior to organic certification...can you provide any?  I'll do a more thorough search later.

There are numerous reasons to doubt the current labeling of 'organic', but these are generally based upon the practices permitted in processing and packaging of organically-raised foods, not lingering poison from the transition to organic by the grower.  As with most purchasing from the marketplace, it's best to buy from 'trusted' sellers; trust gained by research and/or experience.