Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Need your help  (Read 414 times)

Offline Paul

Need your help
« on: February 25, 2013, 09:45:51 AM »
Recently I have been looking at something called Wall O Water. According to seed catalogs, the product makes it possible for gardeners to safely plant tomatoes and peppers outdoors even when temperatures some nights drop well below freezing or there is a possibility of more snow. 
I have to admit, the thought of fresh tomatoes in June is certainly inviting.  The product is not inexpensive however, - $3 to $5 each for little more than a piece of plastic about as thick as that in a Zip Lock bag, if that good.
My problem is that the "reviews" I have seen in catalogs are all either  five star or one star, with little or nothing in between. It is difficult to know just how trustworthy the reviews may be when they all read as if they were written by the PR firms for competing manufacturers.
At any rate before I invest $50 plus, I would appreciate an honest assessment from any individuals who have actually used the darn things for year or more.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
Re: Need your help
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 08:10:38 PM »
A homemade cold frame would be cheaper.
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

"While we have the opportunity, let us do good to all." Galatians 6:10

BonniesBooks.net

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 09:26:16 AM »
If you already have two liter soda bottles, arrange 7 of them in a bundle, put a strip of duct tape around the outside, and remove the center one.  Presto! 12 liter wall o' water!

Cost is 70ยข if you have the bottles, $7-8 if you have to buy them.

Offline Paul

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 07:40:38 PM »
The soda bottle idea sounds as if it might work.  We don't drink soda but we do have some 1 gal. plastic jugs and I'm thinking perhaps four of them in a hollow square might do the trick.

Thanks, I appreciate that idea.

Offline Amisheggpicker

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 11:20:10 AM »
I know that Jackie Clay from Backwoods home magazine uses the wall of waters.....and that idea of the soda bottles sounds really neat...I'm hope to try that...
Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 08:57:49 PM »
Since I've never gotten around to making that cold frame, a few water jugs sounds like a doable alternative. We, too, have gallon & 1/2 gallon jugs which I can sacrifice to the experiment.
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

BonniesBooks.net

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 06:12:33 PM »
The soda bottle idea sounds as if it might work.  We don't drink soda but we do have some 1 gal. plastic jugs and I'm thinking perhaps four of them in a hollow square might do the trick.

Thanks, I appreciate that idea.

Sorry for the late reply - you're welcome! Be aware that the milk jugs (and water jugs of the same material) aren't as sturdy and may break down in the sun. Go for the clear ones if possible.

Offline Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 07:20:05 PM »
Milk & water jugs can take a long time to break down. I've got some kicking around that I've used for several years & they still don't leak.

God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

BonniesBooks.net

Your Ad Here - Email for Info
Help Support E-P.com
Even A Buck Makes A Difference!
Or Make Convenient Monthly
Donations By Selecting
A Payment Option