Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Reason Magazine Speaks Up for Preppers  (Read 155 times)

Offline Langenator

Reason Magazine Speaks Up for Preppers
« on: February 20, 2013, 04:35:02 PM »
Stop Demonizing Preppers

Of course, preppers aren't a threat to libertarian ideology.  Just folks doing their own thing.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Musket User

Re: Reason Magazine Speaks Up for Preppers
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 01:28:18 PM »
Thanks for this timely post. Some people I know and care about have been ripping on prepping and preppers. They don't know I am a <GASP>Prepper. I almost had a heart attack when the article didn't take a poke at folks who think and prepare for themselves and their families.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 02:45:34 PM »
Well, Reason is a libertarian magazine  Doing your own thing and not depending on the .gov is kind of what they're all about.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 03:25:51 PM »
I did get just a whiff of an attitude about "zombie-fearing go-it-alone" preppers that doesn't make much of an effort to hide the author's preference for the kumbaya, communitarian version.

I'm also amused by the contention that "riots, looting, and panic" don't set in.  Of course they don't - not in the first hour or two.  But let people go without food, water, and power for more than three or four days - with no succor in sight - and you'll see all the "riots, looting, and panic" you've been preparing for.  Especially if you live in a heavily urbanized area.

But that aside, yes.  A much more even-handed treatment than I'm accustomed to seeing.  Next time I run into Matt Welch, I'll tell him so.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 04:09:43 PM by Bill Quick »
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone