Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Gene Therapy Cures Diabetic Dogs In Only One Shot  (Read 359 times)

Offline Ken

Gene Therapy Cures Diabetic Dogs In Only One Shot
« on: February 18, 2013, 10:07:20 PM »
http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-02/gene-therapy-cures-diabetic-dogs

Five lucky diabetic beagles have been cured of their canine type 1 diabetes using gene therapy, according to research published in the February issue of Diabetes.
Researchers from Barcelona's Universitat Autonoma previously found the therapy effective in treating mice, but this is the first time gene therapy -- when a patient's DNA is supplemented or changed to treat a disease -- has proven successful in curing diabetes in large animals. Gene therapy encodes a functional gene to replace a mutated one, or inserts DNA that produces a therapeutic protein to treat a disease.
In this case, the dogs were injected with two extra genes that together form a "glucose sensor" that can regulate glucose uptake and reduce excessive glucose levels in the blood.
Four years later, the dogs that received both genes had no symptoms of diabetes and stabilized glucose levels. They recovered a normal body weight and didn't exhibit any secondary complications.
Both genes seem to be necessary for the treatment to work, though, as dogs that received only one of the genes stayed diabetic.
It's not uncommon for dogs to develop type 1 diabetes, in which a lack of insulin leads to an increase in glucose levels. While the canine version of the disease has similar effects to its human counterpart, this experiment may not exactly mirror how the treatment might work in humans -- according to New Scientist, the dogs' pancreatic cells were destroyed by a chemical, whereas in humans with type 1 diabetes, pancreatic cells are killed by the body's immune system.
After further dog testing, the researchers hope to study how the treatment affects humans. And hopefully the post-diabetic pups get a sweet treat in reward.
[New Scientist]
“If mankind is to survive, then throughout man’s history except for a very few years the word “ship” will mean “space ship.”
Arthur C. Clarke

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
Re: Gene Therapy Cures Diabetic Dogs In Only One Shot
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 11:58:00 PM »
I wish I were more sanguine.  But over the past twenty years I've heard of just about every major disease being "cured" in yeasts, fruit flies, mice, rats, rabbits, dogs, sheep, pigs, and even a few very rare humans.

Unfortunately, in the end, almost none of it pans out, and the same old killers are still killing the same old people.  I keep waiting for the sudden amazing surge in medical advances promised us by Moore's Law and the path to the Singularity, but so far, I haven't seen it.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 06:19:24 AM »
People are not processors.....and humans are not assembled from homogenous blueprints with interchangeable parts.

But I too am sanguine.

Where's my flying car?  I've been waiting 50 years...
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline Ken

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 01:53:46 PM »
Well, yeah, but there are always exceptions.

My cousin Vickie was born diabetic. (She lucked out in that her mother was a med-tech, who caught on, right away).  Just after she turned 18, she got real sick, and when she recovered, she was no longer diabetic.  She has 3 kids.

On the gripping hand, both my Mother and sister became diabetic, when they were pregnant, and were okay, afterwards.

As for the gene therapy, I know that there have been some very small human trials, but those that got the "cure" are still doing okay, after almost two years.
“If mankind is to survive, then throughout man’s history except for a very few years the word “ship” will mean “space ship.”
Arthur C. Clarke

Offline Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:34:14 AM »
On the gripping hand, both my Mother and sister became diabetic, when they were pregnant, and were okay, afterwards.

I had that also & was OK once the children were born. But then I quit smoking & ate my way into full-blown type 2 diabetes. Since I had no self-control then, I have control enforced by my health. And no one to blame but myself.  :(

God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

"While we have the opportunity, let us do good to all." Galatians 6:10

BonniesBooks.net