Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Pet Microchip Information + Disaster Planning?  (Read 554 times)

Offline JRWinkler

Pet Microchip Information + Disaster Planning?
« on: February 10, 2013, 06:25:47 PM »
My wife and I have cats, and have had them microchipped for some time.  I'm updating the contact information with the microchip companies, so that we can get our pets back if they escaped or the household collapsed with a fire/evacuation/etc etc.  The various websites I have searched all seem to agree on one thing: you should have your pets microchipped  Yes...then what?  I wanted to ask those on here who have used microchips--and especially those who have used the chips to get their pets back--how have you incorporated the bar codes and alphanumeric identifying information into your bug-out-kits, your safe-document-storage, medical records backups, and the like?  Are you putting a copy of each barcode in different places? Are you recording the alphanumeric with other data somehow?  Should I leave a hard copy of this alphanumeric code with family at the distant relocation site (who might get a phone call from pet rescuers)? 

I have too much data (or media--individual stickies with the bar codes) and not a clear idea of where in the different kits I should be securing this information.  Advice is appreciated.   

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
Re: Pet Microchip Information + Disaster Planning?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 08:14:53 PM »
Save electronic copies of the critical documents, including the bar codes, on a hardened USB drive(s)? 
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 10:22:53 AM »
That's what I do.  I have USB thumb drives with data and scanned copies of critical documents in all BOBs as well as several other secure locations, including my sister in another state.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline JRWinkler

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 08:37:13 PM »
Thanks for these--I have captured the relevant data on a single document, and will be putting that as a PDF on an encrypted thumb drive for the BOB, alongside a scan of their lated vaccination records.  I've also updated the information with the vet ( the alphanumerics) and with the shelter from which we adopted the second cat.  I'll be contacting the chip companies to double check that they have the right info, including the distance family point of contact.  The shelter staff advised me that this would cover everything that I'd need to protect, in case the cats became separated from us in a bug out and end up at a shelter to be scanned.

That seems to be about everything needed.  I did also turn up a one-page sheet from another animals-and-disasters forum that can be filled out, with a picture of us with the pet, to have in the kit too as Photo ID for pick-up.

Semper Paratus, Semper Vigilans.