Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Northeast prepping for major storm...  (Read 1548 times)

Offline ND Martin

Northeast prepping for major storm...
« on: February 07, 2013, 07:46:12 PM »
Looks like a potentially historic and record-setting Nor'easter is gonna dump a serious amount of snow on the Northeast tomorrow and Saturday.  Folks 'round here are already panic-shopping and we're only on the fringes.  Here's a live blog for tracking the storm at my fave venue for weather, Weather Underground.

If you don't already know 'bout Weather Underground, be sure to check out their Wundermap--an incredibly powerful utility for weather information.

Hurricane force wind warnings are extended from eastern Long Island along entire MA coastline.  Gonna be a duesy--"north winds 40 to 50 kt with gusts up to 65 kt.  Seas 17 to 22 feet." (65 knots is about 75 miles per hour)

Here's a 48hr projection of total snowfall:

We're located just under the '16' shown in western 'Jersey.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 07:58:02 PM by ND Martin »

Offline ND Martin

Re: Northeast prepping for major storm...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 12:13:08 AM »
Update.  Didn't realize the 48hr model was dynamic.    We're almost as far west in NJ as one can get without falling into the Delaware.  ;-))

Much more here, including this model that shows the two storms that will join to create the blizzard:

Bottom line: A major snowstorm will develop Friday, February 8, 2013 across the Northeast United States. Snowfall totals could easily exceed two feet in some areas, especially near Boston, Massachusetts. Winds will be very strong with sustained winds of around 35-50 mph in the blizzard warning areas. Gusts could easily exceed hurricane force strength of 74 mph or higher. Residents are warned to be prepared for significant power outages. Make sure you keep plenty of food and water inside your homes and even in your cars if you do plan on commuting. All motorists are urged to avoid the roads as visibility could be near zero thanks to the possibility of heavy, blowing snow. People along the coast can expect storm surge of one to four feet that could cause flooding and damage. Please follow your local National Weather Service offices for the latest updates. Stay warm, stay safe, and avoid the roads at all costs!

« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 12:19:17 AM by ND Martin »

Offline Mr. Bingley

• The Coalition of the Swilling
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 05:24:52 AM »
I'm on the Shore, ND. Looks like we may get 8" or so.

Or it will be just rain :)

Hopefully the wet heavy stuff+ heavy wind won't knock out the power for too long.

This over-hyping by all the attention whores at the Weather Channel gets to be a bit much...

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 11:16:24 AM »
The trick is to not watch it, Mr. B. ;-)) The brunt of the storm is really gonna slam New England.  'Jersey gets a pass this time it seems.   We'll likely see six to ten inches overnight...gonna be the wet heavy stuff that bends the bamboo right to the ground.

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 11:47:48 AM »
And WAY UP HERE we've gotten about 4 inches in the last 6 hours, with more on the way.  And its pretty cold, too:  7 F.  I wish I was in Montana (31 F).

Although last week it felt like a Chinook in Montana:  We went from 57F to 7 F in less than 24 hours.  And the wind chill yesterday was around -30F.

Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline Mr. Bingley

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 09:46:43 PM »
so far we've not had any where near the STORM OF THE CENTURY OH MY GOD WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE that we were promised, which is alright by me.

I'm especially happy that we haven't had that much wind; it is a wet sticky snow and strong wind would be quite destructive with this.

Offline Mr. Bingley

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 07:56:35 AM »
We had, oh, 9" or so. Actually very nice and no issues.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 12:24:59 PM »
According to Foxnews, some places in New England got between 2-3 feet.

Nothing to sneeze at, there.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 02:01:02 PM »
I chuckled at the title of this post:  "Northeast prepping...."

Actually, judging by the inevitable panic ransacking of grocery stores, hardware stores, and gas stations, nobody prepped for the darned thing at all.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline oldguy52

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 04:28:18 PM »
According to Foxnews, some places in New England got between 2-3 feet.

Nothing to sneeze at, there.

Indeed! Nothing to sneeze at. But you have to wonder how many times it has to happen before people figure out that it happens pretty regularly.

This sure isn't a first. Does anyone think it will be the last?
O.G.

"Stupid is supposed to be painful, it's nature's way of learnin' ya" - Me, 1994

When one finds himself living in interesting times, it is prudent to become as uninteresting as possible.... Me, 2011

Offline Langenator

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 06:02:18 PM »
Dunno.  If I lived up there, I'd plan on it happening at least a couple of times every winter, but that's just me.

Now, I might go for a few extra six packs of beer, because I don't keep a lot of that on hand, because I tend to drink more if I have a lot in the fridge.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 10:12:41 PM »
I chuckled at the title of this post:

That was the anticipated and desired effect of the buccolingual phrase.

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 08:10:28 AM »
Hindsight is often perfectly clear...

A satellite image of Nemo** Saturday morning around 7 a.m. EST. The amazing structure of the storm resembles a hurricane with an eye structure. This feature was also seen with Sandy last October and the ‘Perfect Storm’ of October 28, 1991. However, in Nemo’s case this was a pure winter storm, not a hybrid tropical cum extra-tropical storm like Sandy and the 1991 event although there have been other winter storms in the past that also displayed a similar ‘eye’ structure. Photo from NASA.

More historical commentary here.

**I really don't like the naming of winter storms.  Seems like a promotional strategy by the Weather Channel which is owned by NBC.  Rather than the name of a Jules Verne character, I would prefer to see history call this storm the Blizzard of '13 in the hope that we've seen the worst of the yet young year.

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 08:32:57 AM »
One more.  Can't resist posting this punny pic of a snowblower...

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 02:22:07 PM »
Ok.  Who ding'd me for the punny pic?  Fess up!  LOL!

My 'pologies if it offended.

Offline Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 05:18:59 PM »
Dunno.  If I lived up there, I'd plan on it happening at least a couple of times every winter, but that's just me.

Me, too. Our first winter here turned out to be the worst - ton of snow, trees down, electricity out for nearly 2 weeks. I've been prepping for the same storm (or worse) for the last 12 years!
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

"While we have the opportunity, let us do good to all." Galatians 6:10

BonniesBooks.net

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 06:50:50 PM »
Ok.  Who ding'd me for the punny pic?  Fess up!  LOL!

My 'pologies if it offended.

It probably would be a better fit on the Black Hole board: "Down here, just about anything goes. Just don't break any laws."

That being said, I can just imagine a teenaged/adult Calvin producing this snow sculpture....  ;D
American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere....

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 10:45:25 PM »
Yeh.  I suppose so, but it had context here and I figured (wrongly it seems) that we're all adults.  If Bill wants to move or delete it, that's fine by me.  

I don't really like ratings and rankings on message boards.  It gives a mechanism for anonymous criticism and I tend to think that's kind of cowardly.  If someone doesn't like what I post, I would hope they would comment or at the very least PM about it.  The object of the exercise is dialogue, no?

Moving right along...  I'm a newspaper comic aficianado and Calvin & Hobbes is one of my fave comic strips.  As you might be able to tell from my avatar image, another fave (and sadly also discontinued) strip is Berkley Breathed's Outland.  At the risk of getting ding'd again, here is the full strip which was pulled from papers across the country when it was originally published in '93.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 10:53:09 PM by ND Martin »

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 10:26:05 AM »
Two of my all time favorite cartoons.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 12:53:17 PM »
Well ND Martin....if I oppose something, I say it first..hahaha...I think I have proven myself on that.  hahahha...I didn't give you negative karma...because I'm going to tell you negative karma...hahahah...

Here is why.....I am allowed to be on the internet for personal reasons at break time at work.  BUT...my computer is monitored...and these types of jokes are a BIG no no...not only are they sexual in content, but also sexist....sorry but that is what they are considered and my workplace has ZERO tolerance for these things.  I am hoping by my posting this, that it will keep me out of trouble. I must, in order to keep my job keep a modem of decency and integrity.  And this means in my personal life also. 

I have had Mr. Quick block me from the Black Hole for this very reason, because I want to be able to come on here and read and post.

On a personal level, yes I agree that we are all adults....but not every adult enjoys or finds humor in these cartoons.  I know the old saying is "Well don't read them"...but when they pop up in your face, that exposes you to them, without your consent.  These types of jokes are best viewed in your own private setting ...or with someone that you KNOW enjoys them.  I think that is why Bill has the Black Hole...this protects those of us whom can not /do not want to see these types of jokes. Then we all can be happy....

One other thing....I chose this site to be on because I am very interested in emergency preps., etc.  This site was pure info...not like a lot of other sites...while I am not a prude, I just don't see what these have to do with prepping.  You have posted a great many articles that are truly informative and educational....maybe this is the nerd coming out in me....but I don't see what these posts have to do with prepping.
Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 01:41:59 PM »
Yeh.  I should have put an 'NSFW' warning in the subject line. 
Again, sorry 'bout that.  Lesson learned.  I'll be a good boy.

As for straying from the topic of 'prepping', it's gonna happen more often than not if there is a genuine dialogue here.  Anyway, prepping for the hard times ahead is more than stockpiling goods and a great deal of useful information can be gleaned from the wider discussions.

My infomania leads me in all kinds of directions from just about any topic and I hope you enjoy the links I share as I explore what is often the lesser-traveled paths of the web.