Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: The Amazon recommender thing...  (Read 267 times)

Offline Langenator

The Amazon recommender thing...
« on: February 07, 2013, 12:30:47 PM »
Where, exactly, is it getting the data that decides its recommendations?

Right now, it's recommending for me two romance novels and an album from some group called the Armageddon Dildos.  That band must have been named by Dave Barry.

I mean, the word Armageddon I can maybe understand in the context of this board, but the other stuff...
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline JRWinkler

Re: The Amazon recommender thing...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 08:27:23 PM »
Where, exactly, is it getting the data that decides its recommendations?

Right now, it's recommending for me two romance novels and an album from some group called the Armageddon Dildos.  That band must have been named by Dave Barry.

I mean, the word Armageddon I can maybe understand in the context of this board, but the other stuff...

If you are surfing at work, and not logged in to your account, it may recommend what people collectively at your work site's computers are looking up.  If you are home, someone else may have been surfing on your computer and Amazon.  Interesting things appear that way here when my wife gets on and then I do.

Semper Paratus, Semper Vigilans.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 11:11:04 PM »
I get hordes of...interesting...recommendations from Amazon.  Google ads, too.

If the government regards me the same way Google and Amazon do, I'm probably doomed.  ;D
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Langenator

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 11:50:23 AM »

If you are surfing at work, and not logged in to your account, it may recommend what people collectively at your work site's computers are looking up.  If you are home, someone else may have been surfing on your computer and Amazon.  Interesting things appear that way here when my wife gets on and then I do.

Semper Paratus, Semper Vigilans.

Well, I was in the campus library, using the university wireless net...I didn't know college students liked romance novels so much.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 02:44:31 PM »
There's an Aggie joke in there somewhere...
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline JRWinkler

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 07:41:28 PM »
Well, I was in the campus library, using the university wireless net...I didn't know college students liked romance novels so much.

I work on a university campus too, and I've had advertisements for attractive Asian brides, Depends undergarments, and dating services for older women pop when I've surfed.  Oh, and lots of diamond ring sites around Christmas and Valentine's Day.  Partly because of this (and partly for enhanced security) I've started using an alternate search engine [Start Page] and rigged it as my default in the browser on my university computer.

Sometimes Amazon gets it with recommendations for me, and other times it really doesn't understand what I'm looking for when I search.