Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Speaking of vaccines...  (Read 771 times)

Offline ND Martin

Speaking of vaccines...
« on: February 07, 2013, 01:03:30 AM »
This one's gonna frost ya, Doc.  Wanna play 'find the fallacy'?  Seriously though, Rappoport, in his inimitable and often infuriating style, does raise some interesting questions here...

Dumbed-down populations accept outrageous vaccine logic

by Jon RappoportFinally, vaccine advocates need to prove that substances in vaccines like mercury, formaldehyde, and aluminum, although classified as toxic when studied alone, are somehow exonerated when shot directly into the body through a needle. The (absurd) logic of this needs to be explained fully.

I gotta do some fact-checking on Rappoport's claims about the Salk and smallpox vaccines.  I think he's painting with an outrageously broad brush and that as always the Devil is in the details.   Is tetanus vaccine bad?  I get cut enough in the shop and yard that I'm willing to take the infrequent shot rather than risk a lockjaw infection.  Flu shots?  No way...I'll load up on D3 and take my chances.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 01:05:12 AM by ND Martin »

Offline cd

Re: Speaking of vaccines...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 09:36:29 AM »
Unrelated to the topic...

Is there a need for such large fonts in quoted materials? I enjoy scrolling as much as the next guy (sarcasm), but the site has a means of demarking quoted material without resorting to a font I can read across the room.

Carry on...

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 10:38:37 AM »
Sorry 'bout that, CD.  I don't know your environment, but from here the quoted font is actually the same size as the standard font used in the forum.  It probably has to do with the way that your environment is rendering the fonts.  I used the very common font Times New Roman for the quoted text as it's one of the most readable.  Here is text from 10-22pt with the forum's standard font...

10pt. Hoping For The Best - Prepared For The Worst
12pt. Hoping For The Best - Prepared For The Worst
14pt. Hoping For The Best - Prepared For The Worst
16pt. Hoping For The Best - Prepared For The Worst
18pt. Hoping For The Best - Prepared For The Worst
20pt. Hoping For The Best - Prepared For The Worst
22pt. Hoping For The Best - Prepared For The Worst

Now here's Times New Roman

10pt. Hoping For The Best - Prepared For The Worst
12pt. Hoping For The Best - Prepared For The Worst
14pt. Hoping For The Best - Prepared For The Worst
16pt. Hoping For The Best - Prepared For The Worst
18pt. Hoping For The Best - Prepared For The Worst
20pt. Hoping For The Best - Prepared For The Worst
22pt. Hoping For The Best - Prepared For The Worst

On my Windows system, Times New Roman is displayed slightly smaller than the standard Verdana, so I made the text 18pt and the headline 22pt.  Your environment apparently renders TNR much larger.

I don't like the grey quote function for quoting outside sources.   It's best used to quote from other posts.  I want quoted material to be distinct from my own words and prefer to format with larger left and right margins and a different font from the standard.  

Here are some samples of fonts taken from gmail's list all at the same 16pt size as the standard Verdana used here.  Which looks best to you?

Verdana: Hoping For The Best - Prepared For The Worst
Times New Roman: Hoping For The Best - Prepared For The Worst
Serif: Hoping For The Best - Prepared For The Worst
Georgia: Hoping For The Best - Prepared For The Worst

I'm gonna guess that you're not using a Windows environment and that whatever you are using doesn't render TNR properly, but it should render the Serif selection ok as that is generic.  If so, I'll use it in future posts.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 10:45:30 AM by ND Martin »

Offline cd

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 10:56:49 AM »

Here is what I see:

I'm running IE 10 on Windows 8. Uber-Windows environment.

And it looks like I'm getting a serif font, if not TNR itself.

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 12:50:31 PM »
Thanks.  That helps.  Serif will be TNR in W8/IE.  I'm using a W7/Opera environment, but when I load the page with Chrome it looks like what you're seeing.  I'll compensate.  How's this?

Murder in the medical Matrix: the FDA
by Jon Rappoport

I have to begin this article with a bow in the direction of a remarkable site, SSRI Stories. There you will find a huge assembly of media articles documenting the death and destruction wrought by psychiatric drugs. In particular, read the index:

http://ssristories.com/index.php

Rappoport's rants are often right off the wall, but he's just as often right on the mark.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:55:28 PM by ND Martin »

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 01:05:05 PM »
Wow.  That renders visually correctly in IE/Chrome, but in Opera it's rendered properly.  I had to specify a 12pt font to get TNR to be the same size as the 16pt Verdana in IE/Chrome, so in Opera the 12pt TNR is 25% smaller than the 16pt Verdana which is as it is supposed to be.  Let me try something...

Font change...no size change:

by Jon Rappoport

I have to begin this article with a bow in the direction of a remarkable site, SSRI Stories. There you will find a huge assembly of media articles documenting the death and destruction wrought by psychiatric drugs. In particular, read the index:

Size change...no font change:

by Jon Rappoport

This is so whacked.  Opera does what it's supposed to do, but both IE and Chrome don't seem to handle the font size changes properly within the table structure.  Probably something to do with the way that SMF constructs the table.  I'll have to get deeper into the page to figure it out, but at least I know how to format so you don't wear out your scroll wheel.  ;-))
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 01:15:29 PM by ND Martin »

Offline Haverwilde

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 01:28:37 PM »
Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 02:13:41 PM »
As I wrote, he's painting with an incredibly broad brush.  That's Rappoport's style--hysterical hyperbola.  ;-))  High entertainment value with a tantalizingly almost credible undertone.  That said, he does provide some interesting and often useful linkage.

For example, the SSRI Stories and Rxisk sites in his FDA rant are both worth visiting--very well done and professional in character.

I remember the polio scourge in the 50's.  Lined up to take my sugar cube with the rest of the kids in town.   In the age of duck-and-cover drills, seeing one of my classmates in an iron lung gave polio a presence that was all too real.

Here's an interesting interview about vaccines that's somewhat less hyperbolic than Rappoport's piece.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 02:39:06 PM by ND Martin »

Offline Langenator

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 03:35:10 PM »
BTW, ND, I'm running Win7/Firefox and your original post (and other quoted stuff) looks the same to me as to CD.

Now, back to the discussion of polio...