Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Vitamin D...  (Read 877 times)

Offline ND Martin

Vitamin D...
« on: February 04, 2013, 11:29:59 PM »
Our bodies synthesize vitamin D from exposure to sunlight--10-20k IU in a half-hour of whole-body exposure.  (Less of course if you're not nekkid ;-))  The FDA and the medical establishment in the US stresses a minimal 600-800IU/day daily requirement and only permits claims that it reduces risk of osteoporosis.  But Vitamin D does much, much more and it helps improve resistance to the flu and other infectious diseases.

I'm not going to list its benefits here, but the Vitamin D Council and Natural News are decent starting points for more information.

I take 5000 IU of vitamin D3 supplements twice daily.  My physician approves and my serum D levels are checked whenever I have my blood tested (a few times each year).

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
Re: Vitamin D...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 06:00:53 AM »
Here is western PA....because lack of sunshine, we are really deficient in Vitamin D...and everyone of my co-workers including myself are on vitamin D...some of us have perscription form.  Not only do we get lack of sunshine, but we also work in a windowless room day after day.   Because of a lack of vitamin D...this area is very susceptable to SADD..  lets see if I remember what the acronymn is for...Seasonal Affective Depression Disorder...or something like that.
I here that vitamin D is the "new" vitamin c
Excellant post.
Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 08:49:11 AM »
I take 5000 units of Vitamin-D daily, as well.  It's fairly difficult to develop hypervitiminosis-D (OD on the vitamin) so it's very low risk for the benefit.
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 12:12:36 PM »
Actually, I take 10k....5k each at breaks and dins.  Take a daily multivitamin with a handful of other supplements like garlic, krill oil, plant stanols/sterols, flaxseed and of course a baby aspirin.   I don't get flu shots and haven't had a cold or flu for years.  Like the optimist sez as he falls from the tall building...'so far, so good!' ;-))
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 12:14:57 PM by ND Martin »

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 12:25:37 PM »
I take 10,000 units of D3 a day, at bed time.

Of course, I take a lot of supplements.... ;D
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 07:52:12 PM »
I'm not much of a supplement taker, but I do take a 1000 iu of D3 every day. I've suffered from depression the last few winters - not as much sunshine as we used to have - & someone suggested the vitamin D. I'm not sure if it's working or it's the change in my diet to low-carb, but the D is going to be a part of my winter regimen from now on. It's way cheaper than the lights & I don't feel like digging a hole & burying myself in it.  ;D
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

"While we have the opportunity, let us do good to all." Galatians 6:10

BonniesBooks.net

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 08:58:56 PM »
Vit D and obesity:

http://www.plosmedicine.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pmed.1001383

These findings suggest that a higher BMI leads to a lower vitamin D status whereas any effects of low vitamin D status on BMI are likely to be small. That is, these findings provide evidence for obesity as a causal factor in the development of vitamin D deficiency but not for vitamin D deficiency as a causal factor in the development of obesity. These findings suggest that population-level interventions to reduce obesity should lead to a reduction in the prevalence of vitamin D deficiency and highlight the importance of monitoring and treating vitamin D deficiency as a means of alleviating the adverse influences of obesity on health.

I'll still take my 5000 iu, for other reasons
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 09:40:34 PM »
Well, isn't this just peachy...

BLUFF:   We don't know what strength if any Vit D has

http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1570096

Offline oldguy52

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 12:27:49 AM »
Well, isn't this just peachy...

BLUFF:   We don't know what strength if any Vit D has

http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1570096

Yeah, I saw that somewhere else too. I thought it was really special that they tell you it's likely you're buying bogus vit D tablets and then leave you clueless as to who might be making them or what brand, etc.

So great, should we run out and buy a laboratory so we can figure it out ourselves? If that's all they were going to say why'd they even bring it up?
O.G.

"Stupid is supposed to be painful, it's nature's way of learnin' ya" - Me, 1994

When one finds himself living in interesting times, it is prudent to become as uninteresting as possible.... Me, 2011

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 10:15:03 AM »
The info is probably in the full report.  What has been posted is just the abstract.  The source is behind JAMA's paywall. I can get into Medscape, but not JAMA.

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 12:10:27 PM »
While knowing which brands they tested might be interesting, there are so many brands out there, and there is such a total lack of oversight/control on 'food supplements' that one batch that might be good from Brand-A doesn't mean that the next batch will be.  Or that a bad batch means all from that brand are bad.

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 02:01:39 PM »
There is a major opportunity for an enterprising biochemist to come up with some simple testing protocols for vitamins and allergens.  Think of an indicator for peanut oil or MSG, or a color-match indication for Vitamin D concentration.  Dreamland stuff, really.  If it was easy...well, you know.

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 11:39:13 PM »
There is a major opportunity for an enterprising biochemist to come up with some simple testing protocols for vitamins and allergens.  Think of an indicator for peanut oil or MSG, or a color-match indication for Vitamin D concentration.  Dreamland stuff, really.  If it was easy...well, you know.

They should do it for peanut, gluten, milk, soy, egg, and fish first.

My sister would pay good money for a way to test prepared food for allergens she is sensitive to.  I think many others would as well.

A test for horsemeat would go over well in the UK right now, too.

Your Ad Here - Email for Info
Help Support E-P.com
Even A Buck Makes A Difference!
Or Make Convenient Monthly
Donations By Selecting
A Payment Option
Payment Options