Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Red spinach...  (Read 119 times)

Offline ND Martin

Red spinach...
« on: February 01, 2013, 07:14:08 PM »

We've been enjoying this vegetable for a few years now, but I didn't know exactly what it was until today.  There's a garden center nearby that's run by a family from Taiwan and we've been exploring the unique veggies that they offer.  Bought a six-pack of a plant labeled 'Red Spinach 紅鳳菜' and when I asked the owner about it, he said 'That like spinach, grow big, you pinch tops, stir fry'.  It's wonderful.  Very tasty--good in a fresh green salad.  Great stirfried in sesame oil with thin slices of ginger.

So today I found a few minutes to look it up and found that it's Gynura bicolor, called 'Okinawa spinach'.  Packed with antioxidants and free-radical scavengers.  Also purported to reduce cholesterol.

Gotta try some Gynura procumbens, which is purported to be anti-viral and anti-inflammatory. 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DcdIr731IA4&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DcdIr731IA4&amp;feature=related</a>

Offline Amisheggpicker

Re: Red spinach...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 12:12:27 PM »
Wow, that looks good...something I'm going to look into...I have been researching alot on winter gardening....I have been able to keep Swiss Chard till February...when we have a mild winter....I bet this could be grown also in the winter garden.  I have been munching on raw baby green spinach...and it is quite tasty!
Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline ND Martin

Re: Red spinach...
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 02:36:33 PM »
Amish- I recall that you are in Zone 6, is that correct?  If so, we're in the same zone and comparing notes on hardiness makes perfect sense.

I haven't been able to get the red spinach past a light frost for the greens, but have overwintered the roots under a heavy mulch successfully.  That said, it's so easy to propagate and grow that it's actually better to start fresh every spring with new cuttings from plants kept indoors.  I just picked the last of the curly blue kale and this last cold snap (down to 7°--sounds colder as -14° in Canadian ;-)) finished off the red mustard and fava greens.  I didn't have time to put up the double low tunnels I had originally planned.

Your Ad Here - Email for Info
Help Support E-P.com
Even A Buck Makes A Difference!
Or Make Convenient Monthly
Donations By Selecting
A Payment Option
Payment Options