Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Some interesting winter gear  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Paul

Some interesting winter gear
« on: January 31, 2013, 07:49:13 PM »
Found this in Popular Science tonight.  I think the shovel might make a particularly good addition to the tools carried in our vehicles during the winter.  Also it might be added, the "Yacktracs" are a lot like the pair of ice "creepers" I purchased for our one son-in-law after he took a debilitating fall on the ice last winter.  Two knee operations and six months of painful rehab made a complete believer out of him.  Our daughter says he won't even walk out to the car now without putting them on.

Offline Paul

Re: Some interesting winter gear
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 08:02:00 AM »
I just noticed that the link did not show up in the original post. - sorry I am sure it must have been my screw-up..

http://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoors/recreation/hiking/10-gadgets-to-gear-up-for-winter?src=nl&mag=pop&list=nl_pnl_scn_non_013113_winter-gadgets&kw=ist#slide-10

Offline Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
Re: Some interesting winter gear
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 12:14:13 PM »
A few years back I slipped on some ice & gave myself a dandy concussion with minor, but permanent, eye damage. The idea of a repeat scares the dickens out of me so I wear my "spikes" everywhere. I had Yaktrax - & they are good (I wasn't wearing them when I slipped) - but after about 10 years one broke. Went to buy a new pair & found these Traction Aids from duenorthproducts.com. A bit pricier, but very good. I was lucky to find them on sale.

I like the Due North because they are much easier to put on my shoes while I'm wearing them, and those spikes really grip the ice & packed snow. I got large so they would go over my boots, but they also fit my shoes.

One drawback - I put my spikes on before leaving the house so our porch is getting some interesting patterns of small holes!
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

"While we have the opportunity, let us do good to all." Galatians 6:10

BonniesBooks.net