Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Sign of the times??  (Read 726 times)

Offline Haverwilde

Sign of the times??
« on: January 27, 2013, 07:24:59 PM »
It's Sunday, and I wanted to prepare and can a batch of beans.
I put 4 pounds in to soak overnight last night.
So I first emptied the soak water and rinsed.

Good God! I could not believe the amount of dirt, sand, and other crap that I rinsed out.
I kept rinsing until the water was clean. But...it got me wondering.

Are any of you finding similar substandard stuff?

I always either rinse or soak and rinse. But this was a first, to find so much garbage in the beans.
Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!

Offline North

Re: Sign of the times??
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 07:43:17 PM »
Same brand as you usually get?  I haven't noticed anything up here but I don't buy beans that often, 50 lb. sacks last a while.

Offline Haverwilde

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 11:50:54 AM »
I usually try to buy the cheapest dry beans, which means it usually is WalMart, and that was the brand I used this time.
Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 10:10:35 PM »
I buy the pintos from Costco, which seem pretty clean, but frankly, I don't like beans all that much, so most of my LTS legume storage is peas (green, yellow, split) and lentils.  Several hundred pounds of those.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline North

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 12:18:39 AM »
Huh, I use to get mine from Sam's Club before I found out the local feed store had them cheaper.  The ones from Sam's were always really clean, listed as double washed and I don't think I ever got any rocks out of a bag, very few floater as well.

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 11:48:58 PM »
North, please tell us more about buying people food from the animal feed store. It's something I've been kicking around for a while.

Offline North

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 01:31:23 PM »
Nothing really helpful, our local feed store has a small section of people food with various 10-50 lb bags of beans, rice, and barley ("organic" and otherwise).  They also have some canning supplies and canned bacon and butter.  They use to have some sausage making supplies but apparently there are not enough of us here to be worth carrying.

Offline Amisheggpicker

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 06:20:55 PM »
My understanding is that both animal feed grains and grains for human consumption come from the same fields.  Its just that the grains made for human consumption are cleaned better. If you want to buy animal feed grains...try to get ones that are double cleaned or even triple cleaned.
 Foods meant for human consumption are allowed only certain percentages of rodent poop/ insect parts. 

If you want to buy grains from the feed store, make sure you are getting FEED grains and not SEED grains...SEED grains are what farmers use to plant their fields.  This often have pesticides and herbicides on them....not good to eat...

Would I eat feed grain...maybe the question is have I EVER eaten feed grain....hahaha...
When we were kids, we would get into the horse feed.  It was a mixture of grains mixed with molasses....and we would dig through the grain until we would find a lump of molasses that was mixed with the grain....I thought that tasted SOOOO good...hahahah...so yes, I ate a lot of feed grain....also ate chunks of Dog Food...why kids like to eat dog food is a mystery to me, but it didn't taste as good as horse feed! hahahah!

Now a days, I first like to grow my own grain, but that is not always feasible...and I can't grow my own rice....so I purchase grains for human consumption....if it was necessary, I wouldn't hesitate to use the animal feed grain.....but I would certainly clean it several times.  And I would not eat it raw or sprouted.  I would cook it.

I would not buy Oat grain, because it is not hulled and is not fit for consumption.

North, that sounds like a pretty cool feed store....reminds me of our "country stores" around here....a little bit of this and a little bit of that....
Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline razorbacker

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 06:57:47 PM »
Ever heard the old country saying "They're eating their seed corn?"

Offline Amisheggpicker

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 08:31:44 PM »
Well no, I never have heard of it....and i suppose that if it's an "Old" saying, that it means they were so poverty stricken and desperate that they were eating their corn that they reserved for seed...and I also doubt that they had the pesticides and insectisides on the seed...hahhahah! smart folks!  except for the part of eating their seed ...hahahahah..
Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline razorbacker

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 08:38:13 PM »
Eating your seed corn is a sign of desperation.  You were so far gone that a meal today, even knowing that would lead to no crop come next season, was the only option.