Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Hey, CD!  (Read 320 times)

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
Hey, CD!
« on: January 24, 2013, 08:23:55 PM »
It's you and "Shotgun Joe" Biden - like brothers, I tells ya!   ;D
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline cd

Re: Hey, CD!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 08:47:09 PM »
I saw that. I figured someone would bring that up...

He's an idiot, but broken clock is right twice a day. If its an analog clock, anyway. But he's also wrong here.

I hasten to point out that he's not making the argument that I make, which is relative to handguns. He's saying a double-barrel shotgun is categorically superior to a "assault rifle" for defense. That is not supportable. You could argue that there are scenarios where it might be superior, but that is the extent of it.

BTW, I'm pleased to see that your senator thinks my Sub-2000 is a AR type rifle. High Point carbines as well. I didn't think I owned an AR, but I guess I do now! Think those two might be cut from the same cloth? ;D

Offline Langenator

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 11:50:17 AM »
Biden has watched too many movies.  A pump or semi-auto shotgun beats a double in almost every dimension.

There was a Rep. from Connecticutt who proposed a $2000 tax credit (limited 1 per person per year) for turning in 'assault weapons' - including just the receivers.  Oh, and the Hi-Point Carbine made her list.

Obviously, she didn't think that through.

What's a Hi-Point cost, before the madness? $300, max?

So, but $300 Hi-Point, turn in for tax credit = $1700 profit.  Which I could then use to buy a very nice AR.  Or an AK and a lot of ammo.

Heck, $1700 would get me a Garand, 100 clips and about 1600 rounds of .30-06 ball from the CMP.  And a bayonet, too.  ;D
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline cd

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 12:06:36 PM »
Biden has watched too many movies.  A pump or semi-auto shotgun beats a double in almost every dimension.
Yes. The only argument for a double (which I have considered) consists of:

1. Overall, it is shorter weapon than a pump or double because the action doesn't add to the overall gun length.
2. It is easier to understand how a double operates.

IMHO, a defensive double should have 18" barrels, a single trigger, and internal, not external hammers. (The latter two being KISS principles in support of #2 above.)

Offline Langenator

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 03:42:22 PM »
Are doubles (the type marketed as 'coach guns,' not bird/trap guns) cheaper than pumps?  Less moving parts, it would seem logical, but then again, and 870 or Mossy 500 is pretty inexpensive.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline cd

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 04:01:48 PM »
Prior to the present madness, IIRC the Stoeger Double Defense were in the mid-high $300's. I wish they made them with 18", not 20" barrels.*  I don't know how the extra barrel costs, and any required regulation of the barrels, affects the cost.

There are a lot of 870 (patent expired) knock-offs, the Mossberg Pardner is their own knock-off of their 500. So the pumps, at least cheap ones, weigh in as less expensive.

* If so, I'd consider them pretty much ideal for the task. They also make less "black" versions with interchangeable chokes:

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger-coach-gun-single-triggers.php
http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger-condor-outback.php

and personally, the utility of interchangeable chokes exceeds that of picatinny rails, at least for me.

But I have Fudd blood in me.  ;)

Your Ad Here - Email for Info
Help Support E-P.com
Even A Buck Makes A Difference!
Or Make Convenient Monthly
Donations By Selecting
A Payment Option
Payment Options