Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Dame, wher are all the mags.  (Read 842 times)

Offline jc

• If it isn't heavy enough to sink you, take it.
Dame, wher are all the mags.
« on: January 24, 2013, 04:48:58 PM »
I have a ,22 - 10/22 and wanted to try the Ruger 25 mag. Nope, none to be had under 75.00  i have been out bid 30 times at 45-50.00. That is my limit
have to forget this idea.

Ya, I know where they are going. Into Obama shelters
JC

Offline pslblog

Re: Dame, wher are all the mags.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 04:56:55 PM »
I have a ,22 - 10/22 and wanted to try the Ruger 25 mag. Nope, none to be had under 75.00  i have been out bid 30 times at 45-50.00. That is my limit
have to forget this idea.
Ya, I know where they are going. Into Obama shelters

I'm kind of concerned that somebody is going to start a class-action suit fishing for evidence that the magazine manufacturers are price-fixing. I strongly suspect that this is just a lot of demand hitting a fairly small industry like a hammer.

On the other hand, how long will it be before somebody comes up with a printable version of the Ruger 10/22 extended magazines?  I just can't see the price of a 10/22 magazine holding up so far above the manufacturing costs very much longer. I suggest you hold onto your money or transfer it into precious metals or food.

Offline cd

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 05:02:10 PM »
This was as predictable as the day is long. Unless you have a compelling need for a 25rd mag right now, I'd content myself with the 10rd mag and wait this thing out for at least 6 months.

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 07:11:06 PM »
This was as predictable as the day is long. Unless you have a compelling need for a 25rd mag right now, I'd content myself with the 10rd mag and wait this thing out for at least 6 months.

Once things calm down, I recommend that anyone here with a magazine-fed firearm consider following this rule, promulgated by Linoge at the Walls of the City gunblog.  I also recommend that, each time you shop someplace that sells ammunition, you buy at least one box of ammunition that is suitable for a firearm you own.
American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere....

Offline Langenator

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 11:43:46 AM »
I think I'm going to start adding 1 box of defensive (JHP) pistol ammo to any ammo purchase I make, or hunting (SP type) type ammo for rifles.  And yeah, magazines, too.

Luckily, I've got 20+ mags for all my AR, AK, M1A type rifles.

But I was looking at mags for S&W M&P pistols...listed on gunbroker, with bids, for a bit over $100 for a 17 round 9mm mag.  Eek.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline jc

• If it isn't heavy enough to sink you, take it.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 04:07:21 PM »
[quote I also recommend that, each time you shop someplace that sells ammunition, you buy at least one box of ammunition that is suitable for a firearm you own.
[/quote]

Ya right!

I can't even find a brick of .22's around here. 
JC

Offline Langenator

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 07:43:41 PM »
Yup...that doesn't work when the only calibers on the shelves at Walmart of .22-250 and .25-06.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Musket User

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 06:41:32 AM »
 The shops here are telling us to wait, see and get there early ammo and mags are going fast and bringing big dollars. I am looking into Black powder revolvers for carry because cartridge gun ammo is not to be had but I can get Pyrodex/BP/percussion caps without problems.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 04:31:21 PM »
My local city commies here in San Francisco are pushing through a law requiring county gun dealers to report to SFPD any ammo sales involving more than 500 rounds.

This would be quite terrifying, but for the fact that there is only one ammo dealer/gun shop in town, and they've been out of everything for months.  Even in good times they have less ammo in stock than I do in my personal "arsenal."
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Langenator

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 07:43:49 PM »
Perhaps they should require the local media outlets to report to the city any story, column, etc, or over 500 words or two minutes airtime in length.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline mike40-11

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 05:40:55 AM »
Wow.  10/22 mags are going higher than AR mags.  Unexpected but not all that surprising in retrospect.  There are several orders of magnitude more AR mags floating around out there.

I have a 10/22 and have walked past the high-caps for years at $15-$20.  Never saw the utility, personally.  Multiples to load up before hitting the range, I suppose.

Prices are up and retail supply is low but magazines have seemed to stabilize somewhat.  Except 10/22, evidently.  150 bucks?   Really?  AR, AK and such I can find online at inflated but not insane prices.  Glad I have what I want already though. :)

Offline Langenator

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 08:39:09 AM »
Well, the other thing about AR and AK mags is you have plenty of folks who have pretty large numbers of them, and the high prices may be moving them to sell some of them.

I have a friend who brought back something like 100 GI M-4 (AR) magazines from Iraq.  They were shutting down an outpost and were told to either give the stuff to the Iraqis or throw it out.  So he and a couple other guys filled up their personal footlockers and shipped them home.

He could probably sell those for $2 grand right now.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 05:23:24 PM »
The Clue Meter: Liveblogging the Fun Show (FINAL)
PMags running $35-30, mostly.  GI AR mags were running $20-30, depending on new or used.
Other observations:
Dude from last month still wants $stupid {$25000} for his Lorcin.
and
So, ammo is back in supply, but you have to price-compare carefully, and you'd best be prepared to buy in bulk if you want decent prices.
and, furthermore,
As Tamara has noted that less common calibers may be less dear. Never thought I'd be wishing I'd bought a 5.45 or 5.7 upper for the AR.  (Actually, not sure 5.7mm FN ammo is all that cheap even in bulk.)
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 05:50:26 PM »
Well, the availability of less common calibers may hold true for a while, at some point they may become like .380 was last go-round - scarce and expensive, because the manufacturers are running the lines full-bore on the more common calibers and selling as much as they can produce.  Until the sales of the major calibers slow down, they won't switch the lines to making .41 Mag, .32 ACP, and .22-250.

If you're selling all the .22lr you can produce, why would you make .17 or .22 WMR?
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 07:26:49 PM »
If you're selling all the .22lr you can produce, why would you make .17 or .22 WMR?

That all depends on where the bottlenecks are in ammo production (not to be confused with where specific cartridges are necked... ;) ), and where the profits are.

If the primary bottleneck for rimfire ammo is the capacity of production lines, then it may not make sense to undertake the costs of temporarily repurposing production lines from .22WMR to .22LR, especially if the profit margin on .22WMR is approximately equal to (or greater than) that on .22LR.  If nothing else, producing .22WMR or .17HMR ammo allows dealers to have something on their rimfire ammo shelves.  From what I've seen locally, the magnum rimfire cartridges seem to be routinely available, though not plentiful; .22LR, OTOH, is pretty scarce on the ground.  This seems to back up my hypothesis that, for whatever reason, manufacturers haven't done much to repurpose production lines from magnum rimfire cartridges to .22LR.

OTOH, if the primary bottleneck for rimfire ammo is the availability of raw materials, it may make more sense to shift the allocation of raw materials to the most-profitable lines, whether .22LR or the various magnum rimfire cartridges.  This matches what I've seen of .22LR ammo availability: when I see .22LR ammo on local shelves, it's more likely to be something along the lines of CCI Velocitor 50-round boxes (@$7.95/box), rather than 500-round bulk boxes (@can't find them, so a hypothetical price is exactly that).

Finally, I can't help but wonder whether Winchester's introduction of the new .17 Winchester Super Magnum cartridge has affected the firm's production of .22LR and .22WMR rounds, just as demand is at a peak.
American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere....

Offline mike40-11

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 06:59:16 AM »
Hit a gun show last weekend.  Magazine and rifle supplies are somewhat improved.  Prices are still up but down a bit from their early peaks.  30 round 10-22 mags were going at $30-50, AR mags $25-50, AK mags $20-50.

You could get into an M-4gery AR for $1400 or so.

Ammo was around but not plentiful, and pretty high.  In the $1 a round range for 5.56, $0.60 for 7.62x39.  What .22 I saw (not much) was $75-$100 a brick. :o

Offline 9thInfDivRvrRat

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 09:46:59 PM »
Had a chance to buy 18 rounds of 30.06 the other day for 400 bucks. Seemed a bit steep, except he was willin' to throw in a sporterized 03 Springfield with scope and leather sling.. Think it'd be a good idea to see if I can find him again and make the deal?
Used to be anotherone.

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2013, 09:58:08 AM »
Had a chance to buy 18 rounds of 30.06 the other day for 400 bucks. Seemed a bit steep, except he was willin' to throw in a sporterized 03 Springfield with scope and leather sling.. Think it'd be a good idea to see if I can find him again and make the deal?
Depends on how good a job the sporterizer did, and if you "need" a new 'o6.  ("But, honey, I had to fill a hole in my gun safe!" :D)
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2013, 10:09:37 PM »
Fun Show today -- notes.
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 09:23:43 AM »
AR BCGs and lower parts kits seem to be the hardest bits to find at the moment, at least as far as ARs go.

As far as vendors not going to shows due to lack of stuff to sell, you're probably right.  I was stationed in NC in 08-09, and one of my favorite ammo vendors was Georgia Arms.  From after the 2008 election, I didn't see them at a single show before I deployed to Afghanistan in May 2009, because they were selling ammo faster than they could make it and didn't have any inventory to make it worth going to gun shows.

I know ammo's still hard to find, especially from places that haven't jacked the price into the stratosphere.  I've got the "email me when available" for a few calibers from Freedom Munitions (they're semi-local, down in Houston).  Whenever I get an email, the ammo is gone within 15 minutes.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 11:34:45 AM »
The missus has further notes, nothing really new from what I saw: Sunday, March 24th, a Full day
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Your Ad Here - Email for Info
Help Support E-P.com
Even A Buck Makes A Difference!
Or Make Convenient Monthly
Donations By Selecting
A Payment Option
Payment Options