Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: This is getting rediculous.  (Read 2769 times)

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
Re: This is getting rediculous.
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 07:00:12 PM »
The government is making significant ammo buys, but I believe they are a drop in the bucket compared to the panic buying of ammo by the general public.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Langenator

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 09:25:35 AM »
Nice of them to pack it in smaller containers...easier to move

I had similar thoughts...fifth wheel, flatbed trailer, forklift...not too difficult.

And they seem to take safe storage a bit less seriously than the .mil.  Heck, even at Camp Merrill (mountain phase, Ranger school), where they didn't even have live ammo, just blanks and pyro, they had a small bunker.  And even at the most austere place I've been (Tirana-Rinas, in the early days of our stay there in '99) we put sandbags around the connex with ammo.

Amateurs.

The one thing I never see with any of these reports on .gov ammo purchases, is what agencies are they actually for, and what is the historical baseline ammo usage for those agencies
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline mike40-11

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 04:19:42 AM »
Ammo IS gone.  Has been for about a month.  The only thing you will find right now is less commonly used but still popular calibers.  .270, .25-06, etc.  and a small amount of premium priced premium stuff, high dollar personal defense rounds and the like.  Or, get really really lucky when some store just got something.

The last serious shortage we had was after the 2008 elections.  It was the best part of a year of significant shortage/price hikes and nearly 2 years before supplies caught up and leveled off.  It wasn't until about 2011 until I felt like supplies and prices had gotten back to normal levels, though prices stayed higher than pree-2008.  The current panic nothing at all like that.  This is far, FAR worse. 

This shortage is 100% politician driven.  It is all panic buying due to the expectation that the Sandy Hook tragedy is going to be used to push new gun control.  Well, not expectations exactly, more like absolute certainty.  EVERYthing is getting sold out.  It started with ARs, high-cap auto pistols, and ammo for same but is spreading as people who can't get their first choice are buying whatever they can find. 

Hitting reloading components too.  Good luck finding primers right now.....

Offline Langenator

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 08:35:49 AM »
Things like primers I'm sure are taking a double hit...from ammo manufacturers trying to feed the demand, and from home reloaders rolling more of their own because they can't find factory ammo to buy.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 10:18:33 AM »
Things like primers I'm sure are taking a double hit...from ammo manufacturers trying to feed the demand, and from home reloaders rolling more of their own because they can't find factory ammo to buy.

Just like 1994, and just like 2009.  Those demoncratic presidents are great advocates for SAAMI members businesses.

Which is why during normal times I buy a little ammo every month, and always include a brick of .22LR and maybe some primers.  The current shortage (and any potential future shortage) is an inconvenience, but not a threat.  Even $50, or even $20 a month into ammo over 20 or 30 years goes a long way.
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline oldguy52

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2013, 02:59:33 PM »
Well, if you have to have some ammo. Try Lucky Gunner.

http://www.luckygunner.com/

Yes, prices are up considerably and they certainly don't have as much stock as usual, but they do still have SOME. Price increases seem to be more pronounced on the rifle stuff than pistol ammo.

Just bought some .45 acp (defense stuff, not cheap FMJ) this morning. Price was a bit higher than I'm used to, but not nearly as high as some of the horror stories I've been hearing.
O.G.

"Stupid is supposed to be painful, it's nature's way of learnin' ya" - Me, 1994

When one finds himself living in interesting times, it is prudent to become as uninteresting as possible.... Me, 2011

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2013, 12:19:06 PM »
If I had home reloading equipment, and lots of supplies, I'd be selling into this madness, for cash or hard money. I can't be the only one.

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2013, 12:22:03 PM »
If I had home reloading equipment, and lots of supplies, I'd be selling into this madness, for cash or hard money. I can't be the only one.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2013, 01:15:18 PM »
I wouldn't...mostly as a liability thing.

I don't trust anyone's handloads except my own.  I've never had a ka-boom from a handload, but I've had a couple of squibs (no/low powder, bullet didn't exit the barrel).  Luckily, on both of those the bullet didn't get far enough down the barrel to let the next round chamber.  Kept a bad range session from becoming a really bad range session.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline CERDIP

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2013, 01:34:10 AM »
Way up north here in Ontario, Canada - took my two teenaged boys to the indoor range and shot off two boxes of 9mm through the Glock and the Beretta - $25/box. Not the greatest price around, but not bad, for range ammo.

I saw that .223 was selling for $40/box(20) though I didn't shoot any.
Keep Cool, But Do Not Freeze.

Offline razorbacker

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2013, 05:24:40 PM »
I was at the hardware store last week, picking up a couple of bolts that I needed.  The tab came to less than a buck, and I laughed "You aren't ever going to get rich off of me, are you?"

"Oh, I don't know about that.  You haven't paid for those .22 shells you ordered yet."

We both laughed, but he seemed to be enjoying the joke more than I.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2013, 06:57:04 PM »
I was trolling around ammo sellers web sites last night, came across one (sgammo.com, IIRC) that had a case of 500 rounds of Prvi Partizan 8x57mm match ammo for $399.

Which makes it cheaper per round than a case of 1000 rounds of 55 gr .223 plinking , usually around $1000 if you can find any in stock.

Guess I'm going to be stocking up on milsurp calibers for the forseable future.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline razorbacker

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2013, 07:39:54 PM »
It's always in the last place that you look.

I took one of the rides in for some service that I didn't care to do myself, and as I'm standing at the counter of the shop paying my tab, I pick up a small bottle of gun oil from a counter display (no, I didn't ask why an auto repair shop had gun oil on the counter) and said, "You'll sell me oil, but what I want is .22LR shells."

"How much ya want?"

"What?!  You have ammo for sale, too?"

"Yeah.  I own a little gun shop over in (insert name of small town close by), but I don't advertise because it's just a hobby-type business.  How much do you want?  Cash only, you understand."

Long story short, I walked out with more than I'd expected to.  He does good mechanic work, too.

Sometimes it pays to talk to people about unrelated subjects.

Offline 9thInfDivRvrRat

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2013, 10:04:07 PM »
Sounds as though he's a great mechanic. Any chance he'd do an under-the-front-bumper-mount of an M79 for you, so you can surprise the next $#^%@!& that cuts you off in traffic?
Just kidding, of course.
Seriously, though, sources can appear in the most unlikely places. There seem to be several guys here in town who are still able to get reloading supplies, so since they seem to concentrate on .38/.357, I should have no trouble keeping stocked in those rounds.
Used to be anotherone.

Offline razorbacker

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2013, 10:58:48 PM »
so you can surprise the next $#^%@!& that cuts you off in traffic?

Ha!  Well, see, I don't live in a city anymore, so that's not really a thing now.  What happens now is, if by chance two vehicles come to the intersection, you both stop, wave hello, give that sweeping finger wave that means "go ahead" and they shake their head and wave "naw, you go ahead" then you both try to go at the same time and we laugh and work it out.

It's not as complicated as it sounds.

Your Ad Here - Email for Info
Help Support E-P.com
Even A Buck Makes A Difference!
Or Make Convenient Monthly
Donations By Selecting
A Payment Option
Payment Options