Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Gun Question: The Karh P380  (Read 420 times)

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
Gun Question: The Karh P380
« on: January 21, 2013, 08:03:36 PM »
Anybody handled/fired the Kahr P380?  It's pricy, but looks like a pretty nice little gun.

Thoughts?
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
Re: Gun Question: The Karh P380
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 10:16:32 PM »
Full disclosure up front: I've never fired any firearm chambered in .380 ACP.  However, given the relative availability of that cartridge during the current panic, I may have to add a .380 ACP pistol to my list of options.

That being said, I assume you're referring to the Kahr P380 with Loaded Chamber Indicator (LCI), since the base Kahr P380, which lacks an LCI, isn't listed as California-approved.  Naturally, the California-approved P380 has an MSRP that's $84 higher than that of the free-state P380....  >:(  :'(

Of course, just as we all expect cd to extol the virtues of the shotgun as a defensive firearm  ;) , I'm sure you've come to expect me to look for a Ruger pistol as a potential solution to a given pistol niche.  After all, every pistol Ruger sells is a boost for the economy of my current state of residence.  ;D

Unfortunately, of all the modern-design pistols Ruger mentions on their Web site, the only one that isn't on the California-approved list is the .380 ACP LCP (my guess is that the lack of an LCI and/or the lack of a magazine-disconnect is the issue here).  Of course, that's the the only Ruger pistol that has dimensions approximating those of the Kahr P380, and I assume that your interest in the Kahr P380 is driven by its compact dimensions.

Just out of curiosity, what other pistols chambered in .380 ACP are California-approved?
American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere....

Offline cd

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 10:46:38 PM »
 ;D

Let me just say, if one chooses a .380, then choose your .380 ammo carefully.

They seem to be using a Kahr thingy in that review.

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 04:15:41 PM by Drang »
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 09:18:48 AM »
I can't speak to the P380 specifically, or to Kahr's polymer framed pistols.  That said, I did own a K40 once upon a time.

Overally, it was an excellent pistol.  Well built, smooth trigger, etc.  My one complaint was that it was a huge PITA to disassemble for cleaning, mostly because it had an extremely stiff recoil spring.  The most effective technique I found for holding the slide back in the right position to pop the slide stop out was to stick a screwdriver down through the ejection port and use that as a lever.

Although, if you have 3 hands, it should be much simpler.

My wife has a Ruger LCP, and that thing is no fun to shoot.  Small pistol with snappy recoil and my ring finger hanging half off the grip...couple of magazines (12 rounds) and I'm done.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 10:08:56 AM »
My wife has a Ruger LCP, and that thing is no fun to shoot.  Small pistol with snappy recoil and my ring finger hanging half off the grip...couple of magazines (12 rounds) and I'm done.

I suspected the LCP would be a bit unpleasant to fire, which is one reason why I chose an LC9 instead.
American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere....

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 05:16:15 PM »
The Beretta .32 Tomcat is nasty that way, too.  I always feel as if I've stuck my trigger finger in a power stapler after half a box.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Langenator

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 06:45:40 PM »
I suspected the LCP would be a bit unpleasant to fire, which is one reason why I chose an LC9 instead.

Actually, Ruger just introduced a version of the LC9 in .380, which should be much nicer to shoot.  But the LC9 is more difficult to stick in my hip pocket.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815