Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Prepping circa 1961...  (Read 700 times)

Offline ND Martin

Prepping circa 1961...
« on: January 19, 2013, 12:22:58 AM »
This is 2cool4school!  Here's a 1961 vintage doll house with a fallout shelter!

I remember the paranoia of the 60's.  There was info in most popular media about building fallout shelters, and I recall asking my Dad why we weren't digging up the back yard...didn't we want to survive?  He replied with a simple question, "Survive to what?" 

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
Re: Prepping circa 1961...
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 09:16:23 AM »
I remember the paranoia of the 60's. 
It wasn't paranoia.  They really did want to kill us all.

And the sheeple of the time had recent, vivid memories of the last bunch of state murderers who did try to do exactly that, so, unlike today, they took the threat seriously.

Too bad your dad felt that way.  It's a pretty standard attitude among victims-in-waiting:  "What's the point in doing anything?"

It is also exactly the opposite of the prepper mentality.  I'm always amused by the squawks from a certain type to the effect that we have to sacrifice our liberties "if it saves one child."

Yet many of these same people won't make an effort even to save themselves from situations that are readily apparent to other, more clear-thinking folks.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Paul

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 10:59:39 AM »
I am reasonably certain that doll house is no later than the mid-fifties as it does not have plastic windows.  (By the way it is highly collectable and would sell for a good buck.)

Be that as it may, I can well remember checking the proximity of  potential targets - the state capital, General Electric in Schenectady, NY, air Bases in Rome and Plattsburg, etc. and then calculating blast radius, wind patterns and the half life of dangerous particles in an effort to calculate what protection would be needed and for how long.  In our case barring an unusual wind pattern, we seemed relatively safe, even without a specially designed shelter.  We might die of cancer years down the road but a good many Japanese survivors seem to have lived to a ripe old age.

Don't forget also, the fifties and early sixties were the period when thousands upon thousand of reasonably well stocked Civil Defense bomb shelters could be found from coast to coast.  Your apartment might not be safe, but in case of trouble it wasn't like folks had no place to run.  It is my understanding that Civil Defence Shelters were abandoned when certain elements within the U.S. government fell for the line that Civil Defence was destabilizing and provocative.  The Russian propaganda ministry must have garnered a ton of medals for that coup. 

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 11:02:56 AM »
It is my understanding that Civil Defence Shelters were abandoned when certain elements within the U.S. government fell for the line that Civil Defence was destabilizing and provocative.  The Russian propaganda ministry must have garnered a ton of medals for that coup. 

Yep.  And at the same time, the USSR was embarking on the biggest shelter program in history.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 12:46:28 PM »
In California (actually, I think the entire Interestate Highway System) the various overpasses were supposed to be set up as fallout shelters.  Those big steel access panels on the surface level?

That stopped in California when the son of then governor Pat Brown (the current governor moonbeam) asked Dad what the point was.

Watermelons now, idiot communists then.

Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline Langenator

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 02:01:11 PM »
I'm trying to figure out if that thing under the calendar is a grinder or an air-raid siren.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Ken

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 02:04:55 PM »
Nope, it looks to be the porta-potty, at the bottom, and an air pump just above.
“If mankind is to survive, then throughout man’s history except for a very few years the word “ship” will mean “space ship.”
Arthur C. Clarke

Offline razorbacker

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 02:21:02 PM »
Where I was brought up, homes with a "fallout shelter" commanded a premium long after that sort of shelter fell out of style elsewhere.

Because, even though nuclear war might not be likely, tornadoes were very likely.  And those shelters made very comfortable tornado shelters.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 02:36:44 PM »
Yeah, imagine that - a prep that works for more than one emergency!  Whoda thunk of such a thing?

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 04:53:06 PM »
I'm trying to figure out if that thing under the calendar is a grinder or an air-raid siren.

The grinder is a manual air pump, and the thing under it is a canister filter.
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 05:06:50 PM »
Where I was brought up, homes with a "fallout shelter" commanded a premium long after that sort of shelter fell out of style elsewhere.

Because, even though nuclear war might not be likely, tornadoes were very likely.  And those shelters made very comfortable tornado shelters.

My cousin and her family bought a very nice house in Encino, California that has a fallout shelter in the back yard.  The air pump, filter, etc are still there, everything else was long gone.  It turns out the original owner of the house was a contractor who built a LOT of backyard swimming pools in So Cal...I remember ads in the Sunday newspapers advertising turn-key in-ground pool installations when I was a kid.  The pool contractors back then made a very quick transition to fallout shelters in the fall of 1962, and then transitioned back a year or so later.

The shelter is kinda-sorta being used as a wine cellar.  Too bad, if it were my house I'd have much better uses for it.

The next-door house, interestingly, has an underground 3-lane 25 yard firing range, and a previous owner was a fairly well known actress, who used the range.....not sure if the authorities knew about it.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 06:29:11 PM »

The grinder is a manual air pump, and the thing under it is a canister filter.

Ah.  Makes sense.  I'm not old enough to have seen any of that stuff.  Wish I had, though.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 10:26:57 PM »
Life was simpler then.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IKqXu-5jw60?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/IKqXu-5jw60?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>