Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Gun Bills in the House of Representatives  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
Gun Bills in the House of Representatives
« on: January 16, 2013, 07:16:21 PM »
I have a full list, with links, at Gun Bills in the House of Representatives of the United States

There's 14 bills at this time.

A general search for firearms related bills at Gov Track is at firearms and explosives bills.

I have a bunch of general observations here: Gun Control Stuff.
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline ND Martin

Re: Gun Bills in the House of Representatives
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 01:18:33 AM »
Thanks for the list, Drang.  With the exception of HR35 and HR133 (both of which were introduced by Republicans and deal with eliminating 'gun free zones') the remainder were introduced by Democrats and have a snowball's chance in hell of being passed. 

For practical purposes, the gun control (ahem) debate is over for now. Obama lost...bigtime.

The president had his little moment, and was pretending it meant something, but he said nothing. That 21 (23) point plan or whatever it was, was hollow. It was a gutted version of what he was hoping to do as recently as a few days ago. Instead, he had to roll over and made a weak threat to Congress but that threat starts in the Senate and they already told him to shut up. Obama backed off. He lost this time, and it was all because of the American people. His media will try to spin it as something different, and if he gets another chance, the president will be right back to pushing for confiscation, but for now, we won this particular fight.

This victory is a lot bigger than you’ll hear in the regular media. It’s a lot bigger than anyone who stood their ground will ever know about. The Obama White House was trying to go very big on this gun control thing, and couldn’t pull it off. And Barack Obama is livid about it. Like a spoiled brat he can’t believe he had to scrap the original speech for today’s version.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 08:48:44 AM »
Something I posted on another board (gun focused) was bills I'd like to see introduced.  My first idea was to deny federal education funding to states/municipalities that do not allow school staff who are allowed to carry firearms in public places to carry them at school.  The second was to deny federal law enforcement funding to any state that denies any citizen who is allowed to lawfully own firearms to bear them in public.

Would be fun to watch the reps from CA, NY, IL, MA, etc's heads explode.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline deanathpc

Re: Re: Gun Bills in the House of Representatives
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 09:02:09 AM »
We didn't in NY. We lost big time. Many of us have stated its time to move out of this cesspool of a state.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Offline oldguy52

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 10:54:28 AM »
We didn't in NY. We lost big time. Many of us have stated its time to move out of this cesspool of a state.

I sincerely feel for you folks in New York. Your Governor has made a mockery of the Constitution.

Indeed, if liberty is your desire it's time to vote with your feet.
O.G.

"Stupid is supposed to be painful, it's nature's way of learnin' ya" - Me, 1994

When one finds himself living in interesting times, it is prudent to become as uninteresting as possible.... Me, 2011

Offline deanathpc

Re: Re: Re: Re: Gun Bills in the House of Representatives
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 01:06:16 PM »
I sincerely feel for you folks in New York. Your Governor has made a mockery of the Constitution.

Indeed, if liberty is your desire it's time to vote with your feet.

I hate to say it but I think that is the only way.  We are taxed to death which from other posts I've read its by more than I realized. Our rights well you and now everyone knows how that is going.

Just sure what else to do. Voting isn't working obviously.  Maybe if enough of us walk it will change things? Yeah it won't. I know. Wishful thinking.

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 08:14:56 AM »
I hate to say it but I think that is the only way.  We are taxed to death which from other posts I've read its by more than I realized. Our rights well you and now everyone knows how that is going.

Just sure what else to do. Voting isn't working obviously.  Maybe if enough of us walk it will change things? Yeah it won't. I know. Wishful thinking.

It'll change it for you.

Offline deanathpc

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 09:55:26 AM »
True. But the expense to uproot may outweigh the worth. Jobs aren't idea right now.

Offline Ken

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
Ah, the advantages of limiting the state legislature to only meeting every two years.

But states like South Dakota know that the average response time to answer a 911 call, for them, due to sheer distance, is 3 hours.  And BTW that was Sen. Daschle <sp? > Downfall.  He was minority leader for the dems in the US Senate, but was trying to push gun control legislation.  He forgot that the people back in his home state NEEDED those guns.  (It's a lot easier to have a holstered handgun, then to carry a rifle everywhere, when you've got wild dog packs or coyotes loose in the areas, when you've got work to do.)

But then again, since that took place so long ago, mere govenor's and state legislature are going to need reminding.
“If mankind is to survive, then throughout man’s history except for a very few years the word “ship” will mean “space ship.”
Arthur C. Clarke

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 12:50:21 PM »
Even at Sandy Hook (in urban Ct) it took the po-po more than 20 minutes to arrive on scene, once they got the first call.....

Even a bad guy with a garrote could kill a lot of people in 20 minutes....what are they going to do, make shoelaces illegal too?
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline Langenator

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 01:49:43 PM »
Even at Sandy Hook (in urban Ct) it took the po-po more than 20 minutes to arrive on scene, once they got the first call.....

Even a bad guy with a garrote could kill a lot of people in 20 minutes....what are they going to do, make shoelaces illegal too?

I'm wondering why that response time hasn't received more attention (aside from the fact that exposing incompetence by government employees is only a priority for the media when those employees are elected Republicans).  According to Google maps, it's 2.3 miles from the Newtown PD to Sandy Hook Elementary, which the computer says should take 7 minutes for a normal driver.

"Active shooter in a school" is pretty much the absolute priority for any police dept., which means that 2.3 miles should be done lights flashing, siren screaming, at the fastest safe speed.  Meaning that 2.3 miles should take less than 5 minutes.  10 minutes, and you should have every cop who was in the building at the school.  And the rest of Newtown isn't that big, either.  10 minutes should have been more than enough time for every cop on duty to get there.

So what the heck took the cops so long to respond?  At the very least, the entire leadership structure should be fired, along with everyone on duty in the 911 dispatch center.

Honestly, taking that long to respond makes me a bit more open to listening to the folks who claim the whole thing was a false flag operation.

Of course, 10 minutes is plenty long for the shooter.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

And yet nothing has been heard...
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 05:13:01 PM »

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

And yet nothing has been heard...

Of course not.  It doesn't fit the narrative.

And the po-po weren't fired after Columbine, either.  Or various FDs and PDswho let people drown while waiting for designated water rescue personnel (here's a clue:  Cap and charge a 1 1/2 inch hose, push it out to the vic from the shore - no risk to anyone in turnouts).
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 05:51:38 PM »
At the very least, the entire leadership structure should be fired, along with everyone on duty in the 911 dispatch center.
No, they shouldn't, and I'm speaking as a former San Francisco 911 dispatcher.  All we can do it take the call and relay the info to the cops.  We can't *make* them go any faster than they want to.

I can't tell you how many times I sat trying to calm some woman hiding in a closet during a hot prowl, while grinding my teeth and thinking, "Where the hell are those assh*ole cops?"
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Langenator

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 06:11:08 PM »
No, they shouldn't, and I'm speaking as a former San Francisco 911 dispatcher.  All we can do it take the call and relay the info to the cops.  We can't *make* them go any faster than they want to.

I can't tell you how many times I sat trying to calm some woman hiding in a closet during a hot prowl, while grinding my teeth and thinking, "Where the hell are those assh*ole cops?"

Then at least there needs to be an inquest into why exactly it took the police 20 minutes to respond.  Who/what failed, and why?

In a town that small (geographically), there almost had to be some sort of significant system or individual failure or failures for it to take 20 minutes to respond.

But all of that seems to be getting swept under the rug whilst the Powers That Be go tilting after gun control windmills.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline oldguy52

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 07:13:26 PM »
Then at least there needs to be an inquest into why exactly it took the police 20 minutes to respond.  Who/what failed, and why?

In a town that small (geographically), there almost had to be some sort of significant system or individual failure or failures for it to take 20 minutes to respond.

But all of that seems to be getting swept under the rug whilst the Powers That Be go tilting after gun control windmills.

We can do all the investigating we want, but the bottom line is as the Supreme Court told us a couple years back; The police have no obligation to protect.

So, in school the police have no obligation to protect and we or the teachers (staff, whoever) are not allowed to protect ourselves. There's only one real answer to this conundrum. It's time the gov't was told to go mind their own business and we'll look after ourselves until they feel like showing up.

To heck with their gun free zones.

Let's face it, we've seen this scenario play out in a hundred different situations. The big "investigation" takes place, some low level schmuck who can't defend himself gets hung out to dry and all the big wigs go out and have a beer and congratulate themselves on how they put it over on us again.

Who needs it.
O.G.

"Stupid is supposed to be painful, it's nature's way of learnin' ya" - Me, 1994

When one finds himself living in interesting times, it is prudent to become as uninteresting as possible.... Me, 2011

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 06:03:44 PM »
Further posts:
Gun bills in the US Senate
Feinsteins "Assault Weapon" Bill
Note that all we know at this time is the bill number and title, and what she has said is in it.  NO text, not even a summary, available yet.  :o
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline cd

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 06:29:26 PM »
There is this:

Linky.

I am so pleased to know my Sub-2000 is an AR type rifle. So is a Hi-Point Carbine.  ::)

Offline ColoConsrvCowboy

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 07:28:54 PM »
Yep, my little plinker S&W M&P 15-22 is an assault weapon, too. It doesn't matter that it can only fire 10 rounds of .22LR ammo. No, it's a dangerous assault weapon, yet my Glock -- with a 13 round 9 mm mag, and in an easy to conceal format -- is apparently safe for even babies to play with. That adjustable stock and pistol-type grip, plus the rails and flash suppressor apparently make it a much more dangerous firearm than the Glock.

Sigh.

Frank

Offline Langenator

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 07:42:15 PM »
I wonder if the naming of specific companies and model would qualify as a bill of attainder...
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline Langenator

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 07:48:36 PM »
I also just noticed that the Daewoo isn't listed.  Guess I'll have to get one.

Nevermind.  Fineswine is too stupid to even list things in alphabetical order for easy, logical searching.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline cd

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 07:55:34 PM »

Offline Dale00

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 09:09:43 PM »
From what I can gather, opposition has been stiff and pronounced making this bill unlikely to pass. Maybe it won't even get out of committee.

What worries me more is the push for universal background checks. The idea sounds appealing to the uninformed. Universal background checks won't work because people will keep on making private trades. This will give the anti's an excuse for Obama to issue an executive order requiring universal gun registration. And you know what comes after that.
"Test everything. Hold onto the good." 1 Thes 5:21

Offline Langenator

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2013, 09:35:57 AM »
Aside from the fact that, without legislation, no EO can compel gun registration.  In fact, since current law bars the creation of a federal registry, any such EO would be prima facie unlawful.

I still say pro-gun lawmakers should go on the offensive, and propose things like cutting off federal education funding to states/cities that make school into disarmed victim zones, and cutting of federal law enforcement money to states that deny citizens the right to bear arms in public.

That last, especially, would be a direct shot at DiFi and the PRK.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 12:57:00 PM »
There is this:

Linky.

I am so pleased to know my Sub-2000 is an AR type rifle. So is a Hi-Point Carbine.  ::)

Funny, you'd think anyone actually interested in gun control would've at least heard of the AB-10.