Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Fairly long term low carb preps  (Read 2612 times)

Offline Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
Fairly long term low carb preps
« on: January 16, 2013, 03:34:24 PM »
Is there such a thing as long term storage for low carb foods? I'm now on an extremely low carb diet for my diabetes which is working very well for me – I've jettisoned the glipozide, tho I'll probably be on metformin for a while – maybe a long while.

This means absolutely no grains, fruits, or starchy/sweet vegetables like beets, carrots, & potatoes. And I thought I had been eating healthily with brown rice & purple potatoes.

Meat, fish & some veggies like green beans, squash, & cukes can be canned or dehydrated, but most the low carb veggies are best fresh – lettuce & other leafy greens, broccoli, & cauliflower come to mind.

I've googled diabetic preps & so far all of the sites I've found come up with wheat, brown rice, & fruit - none of which I can eat.

Am I missing out on some truly low carb veggies here? I grew up eating canned beans, peas & corn, so my vegetable experience is pretty narrow.

Any & all suggestions are welcome!
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

"While we have the opportunity, let us do good to all." Galatians 6:10

BonniesBooks.net

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
Re: Fairly long term low carb preps
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 03:50:25 PM »
Try pickling your broc, cauliflowers, and so forth.  Remember that you can get a lot of your calories from fats - and clarified butter, pure lard, and pure coconut oil will store nearly forever, expecially in airtight packacking -  I've got a couple of five gallon pails of lard stored with OXY removers.

As you know, any kind of meat is fine, and there are myriads of LTS solutions for that.

You might look into the very low net carbs pasta and bread situation:  Products like Dreamfields Pasta and Julian Bakery bread let me enjoy them in moderate quantities without kicking me out of ketosis.

Remember: peanuts and almonds, both in nut and nut butter form, are fairly low-carb, too.

"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 05:26:46 PM »
Hey Bonnie...I learned a lot from the diabetic nurse at the local hospital. (my doctor recommended that I take the course, but it was 1500 dollars!  I couldn't swing that, so she just gave me the info...YEAH!)

Do you have a good carb counting handbook?  I carry two in my purse....one for ordinary foods, and one that has restaurant foods.  I have to read labels on a continual basis....nothing is ever put in the cart, without me reading the label first...hahahahaha!

I am able to manage my diabetes just fine now....my afternoon sugar count was 109...a nice healthy level...

One thing that I learned is that carbs are not OUT of the picture...you just need to eat healthy carbs...and the RIGHT portion!  I have a few little handbooks that list how many carbs that are in particular foods...

Now, since I am trying to loose more weight, I am leaning a little more toward the way Bill eats....more protein...fewer carbs...etc.. I don't know if Bill has sugar or not....Do you Bill?  The items he listed are great for diabetics.

Newer studies have found that for the diabetic, portion size is just as important as limiting the sugars...here is a guide to portion size.

Meat should be no larger than the palm of your hand.
Most vegetables are 1/2 cup portions (the starch ones tend to be smaller in portion)
Most Cheese should be the size and length of your finger
Fats are limited to tsp portions

Some foods fall both into protein and fats

For women, each meal should have no more than 45 carbs....men can have 65....

At first, this seemed hard to follow...but they also recommend a 15 carb snack between meals....this kept me from being hungry...when you eat a carb, you should also eat a protein as this slows down the digestion of the carbs....neat little trick to manage sugar.

You can still eat the starchy vegetables, rice etc.,  you just need to portion control them, and include them in your carb counting.  You learn to eat more of the foods that have a lower carb count, because their portion size tends to be larger! hahahaha.

Breakfast (I had to rethink my breakfast!  And now lean heavily on the proteins because it keeps me from getting hungry.

I do not eat boxed cereals  NONE of them....once in a while I will eat some oatmeal...old fashioned, but it can only be 1/4 cup...so I have nuts and fruit on hand to supplement...

No cookies, cakes, candies etc....but I'm experimenting with baking with almond flour and flaxseed flour....I believe it was Musket user whom posted some recipes on here using flax seed flour.  I experimented with his recipe and made some really tasty bread sticks....i like things small, so that i can use it as a snack.  I now have a recipe for almond flour pie crust...can't wait to try this.

I actually eat healthy and tasty meals and the weight is falling off...yippee.....my doctor thinks i can stabilize this blood sugar and get off the metforman!

About broc, you can also dehydrate it...

Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 06:03:28 PM »
most the low carb veggies are best fresh – lettuce & other leafy greens, broccoli, & cauliflower come to mind.

How about converting cabbage into sauerkraut or kimchi, then canning it?
American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere....

Offline Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 06:46:07 PM »
Here I am a master food preserver & didn't think of pickling the veggies! And kim chee, too - I've got to give that a try. A variety of pickled veggies will make nice treats.

Egg - the method I'm trying is Dr. Richard Bernstein's. Very low carb - max of 6 for breakfast, 12 for lunch, 12 for dinner. I'm not quite down to that yet, but my blood sugar results are looking very nice - not quite where I want them but lower than they've ever been. What's really nice is I'm not very hungry between meals & I'm not craving carbs. Fairly even tempered, too. My family used to dread it when I'd go on a diet - I'd get very short tempered & nasty. Couldn't lose any weight, either. Very discouraging.

So far everyone has liked what I've cooked, but I found out that if I cook rice for them, I'm very tempted to take "just a little." Which turns out to be a little too much. But I'm learning.

Dr. B says no fruit at all, but since I have just eggs for breakfast, I've found that 1/2 grapefruit (I only put salt on it) doesn't spike my blood sugar.

And Bill - butter is an important food group all of it's own! I've cooked only with butter & olive oil for a long time now. At the moment I have over 40 lbs of butter in the freezer - I buy a case of 18 every time it's on sale. If the electricity goes out for too long, I plan on melting it down to ghee. Good thing I've got a zillion canning jars & a wood stove.  ;D
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

BonniesBooks.net

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 07:56:53 PM »
Wow Bon....that's definately low carb...more power to you!  I don't think I have that much will power....I'm in a "Biggest Looser" weight loss competition at work...and first prize is $300.00....hope to win...as do all the other contestants...hahahah...if you are also trying to loose weight...tell me how your diet worked for you....I know that Bill has lost a good deal of weight on his method....
I just need to be a little carefull, because my levels have dropped to low at times...and then bad things happen to me....like ending up in the men's bathroom because I have no clue where I am...hahahha....this poor fellow tried to help me, he knew I was in the wrong place...hahahaha and I told him I was looking for my car keys....hahahah....I don't think i will ever live that one down at work!.....it's really a strange feeling when that happens to me...there is a name for when that happens, but i can't remember....I just know i don't want to experience that any more!   hahahahah!

Good luck and much success to you....and hope you get your levels down to normal...

Offline cd

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 08:50:24 PM »
I'm not diabetic, but I am trying to do a quasi combo of Atkins & South Beach. For me, breakfast is easy. Two mozzarella cheese sticks. Quick, and apparently enough fat content to keep me 'content' till lunch. We buy a bulk pack at Sams, stick it in the freezer, and pull out 10 or so at a time to thaw in the frig. I've dropped about 40lbs but I've somewhat plateaued, but I'm not totally religious about all the time either.

If I can ever get to a homestead, I'm going to have to look into cheese-making... besides the egg-producing chickens, veggies and fish.

(I don't miss breads, only partly miss potatoes, and don't like fruit to begin with.)

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 08:03:49 AM »
great job on the weight loss....I can show you how to make a few cheeses out of store bought milk...including mozzeralla...I just need to get busy and do it...I am so far behind on the things I want to post....the holidays are over, but I'm still on mandatory overtime at work...but the new kitchen and pantry is in (just staining the woodwork now) so I can get back to being busy in my kitchen! 

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 03:44:09 PM »
Egg, I avoid sugar entirely.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
hahaha..Bill, sometimes I'm such a dork!   I reread what i posted....what I meant was I didn't know if you had Sugar Diabeties or not...hahahah...doesn't matter...you avoid sugar altogether...

Offline Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 11:18:11 PM »

I just need to be a little carefull, because my levels have dropped to low at times...and then bad things happen to me....like ending up in the men's bathroom because I have no clue where I am...hahahha....this poor fellow tried to help me, he knew I was in the wrong place...hahahaha and I told him I was looking for my car keys....hahahah....I don't think i will ever live that one down at work!.....it's really a strange feeling when that happens to me...there is a name for when that happens, but i can't remember....I just know i don't want to experience that any more!   hahahahah!

Egads girl - that doesn't sound good at all! All that has ever happened to me when my BG is too low is getting the shakes & not feeling at all well. Without the glipizide, I think it's going to be difficult to get that low.

I lost a few pounds the first week, but none since. A friend suggested I take measurements because sometimes the shape can change while the pounds stay static.

CD - thanks for the tip about the cheese sticks - I didn't know they could be frozen.
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

BonniesBooks.net

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 11:31:11 AM »
Egg, I don't seem to have any physical problems relating to sugar and carbs at all.  I think I was heading in that direction, but since going on the very low carb regimen, all of my test results in that area are very healthy.

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 01:13:14 PM »
Bill, I think that is terriffic and a good example of how we can change our situations...I hope to be telling the exact same story that you do...that's my goal!  Plus I think it does pertain to being "prepped" for emergencies...the more healthy we are, the less likely we are going to become the "emergency"  hahaha  Plus we could endure more because we know how to manage our health....