Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: I don't know what to make of this...  (Read 982 times)

Offline Paul

I don't know what to make of this...
« on: January 12, 2013, 11:21:54 PM »
Sounds to me like the product of a feverish mind with a strong appeal for the Neo-Nazi/White Supremacist types.  Not exactly the kind of neighbors I would want.

http://cnsnews.com/blog/gregory-gwyn-williams-jr/patriotic-group-build-armed-defensible-neighborhood-fortress

Offline oldguy52

Re: I don't know what to make of this...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 01:03:29 AM »
If that's what one wants to do, after seeing what has gone on at places like Waco and Ruby Ridge it seems to me shooting one's mouth off about it to the whole world might be a bit less than clever.

Anybody there ever heard of OPSEC?

Like to wave a red flag in front of a bull much?
O.G.

"Stupid is supposed to be painful, it's nature's way of learnin' ya" - Me, 1994

When one finds himself living in interesting times, it is prudent to become as uninteresting as possible.... Me, 2011

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 01:32:51 AM »
I suggest that you visit Kerodin's blog and look around.  They are very serious patriots who believe that conflict is imminent, and they don't seem to identify with the neonazi/white-supremist movement.  The issue is liberty vs. tyranny not race conflict.

Hoping for the best is fine, but the III% is truly preparing for the worst.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 01:40:12 AM by ND Martin »

Offline Ken

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 01:34:04 AM »
Hmmm, seems like they're doing a combination of both building a community and recruiting, at the same time.

This might be a strawdog/decoy community, for other like minded ones........
“If mankind is to survive, then throughout man’s history except for a very few years the word “ship” will mean “space ship.”
Arthur C. Clarke

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 02:03:01 AM »
The line between skeptical and paranoid is thin, eh?   I've been tuned in to Kerodin's III% for a while now and that same thought crossed my mind at first.  I think that they're just ahead of the curve, not content to wait until the fan gets encrusted before taking a stand.  Peel back a few layers of the onion there and it looks like they have thought things out quite well so far. 

Yeh, the rhetoric is becoming more heated, but consider how the Sons of Liberty must have seemed to most a decade before Lexington/Concord.

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 09:42:35 AM »
Addendum to previous post...
By all means, check out Kerodin's saga before pigeonholing his efforts.  The statist monster would have you dismiss the III% as some kind of radical fringe, but they are really a harbinger of the times to come.  

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 09:55:04 AM by ND Martin »

Offline cd

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 05:32:17 PM »
Sounds to me like the product of a feverish mind with a strong appeal for the Neo-Nazi/White Supremacist types.  Not exactly the kind of neighbors I would want.

http://cnsnews.com/blog/gregory-gwyn-williams-jr/patriotic-group-build-armed-defensible-neighborhood-fortress
It strikes me as mostly symptomatic of the fault lines in the culture. I have no idea if there is ideology beyond what is presented in the article. But people are afraid.

That people would leave their present environs, so openly violate OPSEC, throw in together with strangers in a remote place base on ethereal concepts--three huge, unquantifiable risks, either implies foolishness or desperation.

Try this comparison. There are lots of nice people here on this forum, varied in skills, talents, temperaments, and resources. And a number of us have "known" each other for a year or more via the internet. Let us further suppose that Mr. Quick takes his latest book advance, buys 3,000 acres somewhere, and propose we all build a community there. (Thanks Bill! ;) ) I'd suggest we'd have far better chance of long term success than these folk--but also that the chance of even "our" group coming together in a long term, synergistic manner would be too remote.

Yet these people propose to throw in with perfect strangers? Oy. People are naïve, and scared.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 09:35:31 AM »
I'm way too cranky to make something like that work, cd.  ;D  No reasonable person would put up with me for a minute.

Still, 3000 remote acres does sound good, doesn't it?
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline cd

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 10:19:34 AM »
I'm way too cranky to make something like that work, cd.  ;D  No reasonable person would put up with me for a minute.

Oh, 3,000 acres does indeed. The thing is, most of us, even on the lower end of the cranky scale, well, we don't "herd" very well. I'm not sure what the acre to person ratio would need to be for everyone to be able to exercise their "herd-less" natures, but I'd guess it would hover around 50:1 or something like that.

Oh, and the cranky is also an essential skill too. You've had to show the door to several folk here to keep this a pleasant place to visit. So you'd have a place in that ecosystem, I suspect.  ;)

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 12:15:48 PM »

Crankiness?  really?
Grumpy & cranky: Does the military make you less agreeable? - Military Off Duty, Army Health, military fitness, army physical fitness - Army Times
Note the apparently positive correlation between "lack of agreeablness" and "non-neurotic."
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline cd

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 04:42:08 PM »
There is a link here that says some skepticism is justified...

http://sipseystreetirregulars.blogspot.com/2013/01/citadel-questions-for-potential.html

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 02:01:46 AM »
Skepticism is more than justified for evaluating ANY proposal for the establishment of a community from scratch.  That said, there is a long history of communities built around a charismatic figure.  Consider Arcosanti or (on the dark side) Jonestown.

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 11:44:58 PM »
cd- Just a bit of background...

The owner of Sipsey St. (Mike Vanderboegh) and Kerodin have a long-running feud ongoing.  Context is important.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 08:33:26 AM »
Skepticism is more than justified for evaluating ANY proposal for the establishment of a community from scratch.  That said, there is a long history of communities built around a charismatic figure.  Consider Arcosanti or (on the dark side) Jonestown.

There's also Joseph Smith and Brigham Young.  Theirs worked out a little better.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 09:07:49 AM »
There's also Joseph Smith and Brigham Young.  Theirs worked out a little better.

I wonder why?  Which is a serious request for someone with more knowledge than I have to compare and contrast the formation of the Mormon community in Utah with other intentional communities.....
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 10:12:58 AM »
Drang:  
“Military service makes men less tolerant and accommodating of undisciplined, neurotic, no-attention-to-detail civilians and the relentless barrage of frivolous crap and bullshit inundating society,” wrote a former Navy SEAL.
My problem is that my extremely low tolerance of vapid stupidity, feminist bullhooey, nanny state depredations, fear of individual liberty, and all the other loathsome appurtenances of contemporary American culture tends to keep me cranky most of the time.

I regard that as a benefit, by the way.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 08:41:47 PM »
While entire books could be and likely have been written on the topic, I'm gonna guess that the success of the Mormon community is related to their founders establishment (Mormons would say 'revelation') of a unique religion and their collective will to survive and succeed in the face of deadly persecution.  In a very real sense, it's analogous to the Biblical story of Moses.

We've seen the notion of creating a 'tribe' again and again in the survivalist/prepper lore and the theme is repeated in numerous works of post-apocalyptic literature.  The bottom line is that nobody can survive alone and either by design or circumstance communities will by necessity evolve from the chaos of the collapse.  Most folks are followers and will gravitate toward those who have the skill and courage to lead.

Here's some further food for thought (in no particular order)...

Fellowship of Intentional Communities
The Kibbutz Movement
The Connecticut Survivalist Alliance
Wilderness Survival Village
Colorado Country Estates
PachaMama (Costa Rica)

Somebody stop me...  ;-))

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 01:23:21 AM »
Drang: 
“Military service makes men less tolerant and accommodating of undisciplined, neurotic, no-attention-to-detail civilians and the relentless barrage of frivolous crap and bullshit inundating society,” wrote a former Navy SEAL.
My problem is that my extremely low tolerance of vapid stupidity, feminist bullhooey, nanny state depredations, fear of individual liberty, and all the other loathsome appurtenances of contemporary American culture tends to keep me cranky most of the time.

I regard that as a benefit, by the way.
My father-in-law (navy) explained it to me (very much a civilian) thus: once you've had a few torpedoes locked on you and incoming, and you listen to the countdown... and zero comes and goes and you're still sailing, it makes a lot of the stuff they worry about seem pretty small.

He also tells me time and time again about the time they were on day 62 of a 45 day food supply.  He never turns his nose up at any kind of food.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 08:43:19 AM »
My father-in-law (navy) explained it to me (very much a civilian) thus: once you've had a few torpedoes locked on you and incoming, and you listen to the countdown... and zero comes and goes and you're still sailing, it makes a lot of the stuff they worry about seem pretty small.

Or, as Winston Churchill put it (badly paraphrased) - there's nothing in the world that compares to the feeling of being shot at and missed.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815