Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Core Curriculum  (Read 166 times)

Offline four + four

Core Curriculum
« on: January 10, 2013, 10:21:17 PM »
Are any of you concerned of the core curricula hitting your schools?  As a 20+ year teacher and in a state where our students rank in the top five tier of performance, but where pay for teachers is in the bottom five tier of states, the core curriculum will make catastrophic changes in your school's performance. 

Here is a video put out by PJTV...runs about eight minutes.  Also, the Townhall website has done some great research on the implementation of this curriculum in our schools and how it is "dumbing" down educational standards.  If you are a parent, please query what is taught and what is not taught to your child.  Huge sections of literature and history are disappearing from the curriculum--literally those linkages of classic literature and history of our founding fathers.  Just a copy and paste into your browser will take you right to this interview. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87xMfsRU4SI

Just wondering if you have heard about this...as a granny I am now becoming involved in my grandchildren's education and our children are filling in the "holes" their schools are eliminating.

BTW, core curriculum is a moniker for national curriculum.

Offline Langenator

Re: Core Curriculum
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 08:36:03 AM »
Not the primary reason we're moving to home school next year, but a factor, for sure.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline TsMom

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 09:50:17 AM »
My son was in Pre-K and Kindergarten in one of the best districts in our state.  We grew concerned that he was being held back when is kindergarten teacher told us that he had learned the curriculum with 9 weeks of school left.  We thought long and hard about homeschooling, but I realize my limitations with teaching the very young.  I can teach an 18-24 year old any day, but not a 6 year old.  I don't know why.

Then we found an alternative in our city.  It is a blended Classical school.  Our son goes to school two days a week, and we homeschool the other three.  Most of the initial teaching is done in the classroom, but we have all of the materials at home.  We see what he does in the classroom every day via a calendar that maps out the curriculum for the entire week. He is in first grade and already learning about ancient Egypt.  I didn't learn that from the assistant football coach that taught my World History class in high school.  I love this place. 

I did see the changes in the Core Curriculum, and the new requirements to read "technical documents" that are really just government white papers and filings.  It confirmed the decision that we made. 

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 10:28:26 AM »
The reading requirements (reading technical documents, in lieu of classical literature) have me conflicted....while I think that a lot of the crap students were made to read, dissect, agonize over were painful wastes of time, in later years I think that it was, over all, a good thing I read "Lord of the Rings", "Catcher in the Rye" and "The Old Man and the Sea", among others.  Not that I'd read them again, ever.

However, I wonder about either the hidden agenda, or inevitable unintended consequences of these changes.  I can think of no better way to dissuade kids from learning to love reading than by making them read the absolute <expletive deleted> that passes for technical documentation these days, especially from the Government.  Hundreds and thousands of words telling you things like you should wear clothing when its cold out, or fire is dangerous........without conveying any real information or knowledge.

And considering how the Obamabots have made a habit of insinuating Dear Leaders name and history into all sorts of official documents (for example, bios of past, long dead Presidents), is this going to result in the students indoctrination into the cult of Dear Leader?
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 03:12:20 PM »
I guess burning the books would've been too obvious. Just make sure kids hate reading anything longer than a headline or a tweet!

They'll make us all low-information voters, because they're easier to squeeze.

Your Ad Here - Email for Info
Help Support E-P.com
Even A Buck Makes A Difference!
Or Make Convenient Monthly
Donations By Selecting
A Payment Option
Payment Options