Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Influenza Pandemic?  (Read 356 times)

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
Influenza Pandemic?
« on: January 08, 2013, 09:06:41 PM »
Apparently the annual influenza epidemic is looking to be considerably worse than usual.

http://www.dailypundit.com/2013/01/08/did-you-know-that-we-have-an-influenza-pandemic-underway/

"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Ken

Re: Influenza Pandemic?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 10:34:12 PM »
Still time to get your flu shots.
“If mankind is to survive, then throughout man’s history except for a very few years the word “ship” will mean “space ship.”
Arthur C. Clarke

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 11:56:14 PM »
Still time to get your flu shots.

They don't seem to be effective this year, hence the pandemic.

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 12:27:51 AM »
They don't seem to be effective this year, hence the pandemic.

No, the mix this year is pretty much spot-on.  A lot of the patients Ive been seeing didn't get it, or got it just a day or two before presenting with symptoms (which DOES NOT mean they got it from the immunization). 

Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline Langenator

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 11:22:45 AM »
Gah...so do I figure out how to navigate Tri-Care remote, or just pay the fee at the local drug store?

Not being forced to go get stuck by the battalion medics leaves me confused.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Ken

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 02:06:35 PM »
I think you might want to get the shots as soon as possible.  Some places are already running out, and with no clue on renewal.

A friend's father is a retired doctor, and his retirement home is in lock-down, already, due to the flu.
(In Maine)
“If mankind is to survive, then throughout man’s history except for a very few years the word “ship” will mean “space ship.”
Arthur C. Clarke

Offline Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 02:52:37 PM »
This is the first year I got a flu shot (it was free at the Veteran's Stand Down) and the first year in many that my husband didn't. Neither one of us has ever - to our knowledge - had the flu. And that's a total of nearly 137 flu-free years! (I just hate it when "news" articles say that people at a certain company have 100+ years of experience. Does that mean that 1 guy has 50 years, another 40, another 9, and the last hired 1 year? Totally meaningless.) (As is the total of my husband's & my flu-free years.  ;D)
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

"While we have the opportunity, let us do good to all." Galatians 6:10

BonniesBooks.net

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 03:36:34 PM »
Gah...so do I figure out how to navigate Tri-Care remote, or just pay the fee at the local drug store?

Not being forced to go get stuck by the battalion medics leaves me confused.
In which I discern what is wrong with health care in America
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline four + four

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 08:51:57 PM »
This bug has really hit our part of the country.  The local Eagle's Manor (retirement home where we have a few friends who reside there) shared it sickened many, many residents to the point where those not in the hospital were restricted to their rooms with meals catered to each room.  It is just now hitting the school where I teach...this will be scary because my meds are used to shut down the immune system.  The distribution of Tamiflu is the norm up here.

ER Doc...had the flu shot...let's hope it holds tight.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 08:50:48 AM »
Classes start back up on Monday...all those students who went home for the holidays come back.

Better get the shot on Friday.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline deanathpc

Re: Re: Influenza Pandemic?
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 10:35:26 AM »
I used to get those shots and then stopped. Being a Paramedic I know first hand they don't work. I see it everyday.

I instead take my daily multi vitamin, vitamin d3, vitamin c and now a a garlic capsule. So far so good. Not even the common cold has touched me.  And I'm around sick people all the time.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Offline four + four

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 10:10:41 PM »
We are also seeing the tail end of whooping cough.  Any of you have this happening in your areas?  Makes a very noisy classroom.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 08:34:38 AM »
I haven't seen it personally...but then, graduate classes are all small (<12 or so).

Haven't gotten any sort of notice from my kids' school, either.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline TsMom

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 09:44:44 AM »
My husband and I did not get the flu shot this year even though I was admonished to by my OB.  I just ran out of time.  Then my 6 year old got the flu.  I slept with him the first night, before I knew he had the flu, to keep tabs on his fever.  Then I figured he was doomed and slept with him the second night after he had confirmed flu.  His pediatrician prescribed Tamiflu, but it was $210 with insurance.  We did not think the cost was equal to the benefit. 

In the end, my husband and I avoided the flu.  We washed our hands obsessively and lysoled the heck out of the house.  I teach at a university a couple of times per week though.  We will see if I last the rest of the season.