Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Pot Belly Pigs  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Paul

Pot Belly Pigs
« on: January 07, 2013, 11:07:26 PM »
I came across a very informative Internet site on the care, butchering and consumption of those loveable little Pot Bellied buggers this evening.  If diminutive pork is in your future, I strongly suspect you will find it well worth a visit.

http://www.windridgefarm.us/potbellypigs.htm
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:09:56 PM by Paul »

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
Re: Pot Belly Pigs
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 01:46:18 PM »
People in SF keep these things as pets.  I see them leashed on the street all the time.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline cd

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 02:16:44 PM »
That is interesting. But 1 pig per acre seems to require a lot of land if one is doing pretty much 100% forage.

Thanks for the link.

Offline xtron

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 04:05:12 PM »
a co worker "obtained" one of these critters...actually it was given to him when he bought a full sized hog....he eats everything..groundhog, wild boar, raccon, possum...if it fits in the pot, it is food...so he butchered the lil porker....the bit i tried was ....well....horrible....even my friend said it was not very eatable..
maybe it was just this particular pig...but i would definatly try several more samples from several different places before i committed to raising something i might not be able to stomach.

Offline North

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 04:14:10 PM »
Do you mean your friend was feeding the pig groundhog, raccoon, and possum?  Because if he was that is why it tasted nasty.  It's the same as you do not want to eat a bear that was taken later in the year when they are feeding on fish, gives them a rotten fish taste. 

I know some of the fancier hams made back east use to come from pigs that were fed nothing but peanuts and that had an affect on the taste and texture.

Offline Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 07:46:08 PM »
I've sometimes thought it would be fun to raise 1 or 2 of these for meat as we don't have room for a regular-size pig. Don't have room in the freezer, either - pigs are BIG!

Somewhere I read that these are the regular meat pigs in SE Asia. But you do have to feed it right. Garbage in - garbage out.
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

"While we have the opportunity, let us do good to all." Galatians 6:10

BonniesBooks.net

Offline razorbacker

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 05:58:11 AM »
A gentleman of my aquaintance has a couple of pot-bellied pigs.  His aren't so small, as he feeds his animals more than the cup of food per day that will keep them tiny.  His aren't meat animals, as he made the mistake of naming them and it is somehow rude to eat a critter that has learned to come running to you when you call a particular name.

If you want a little bitty pig, you can simply get a piglet and starve it.  It'll remain small.  Runty, even.

In Vietnam, pot-bellied pigs aren't pets but food.  They don't grow so large as Americans are used to their pigs growing, but they do get larger than your average lap-sitting animal needs to be.

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 08:30:37 AM »
pigs eat garbage...hahahah...they will eat anything including you...no kidding...we feed our pig all the scraps they could get, including moldy bread from the bread store and soured milk.   And they got loose all the time, so they foraged in the woods for anything they could dig up...grubs, worms, etc.   Our pig meat always tastes really good, with one exception explained below...

I suspect that the pig was a male that was not castrated. meat from Male pigs that are not castrated is nearly inedible. They must be castrated not very long after they are born.

A common trick that unscrupulous butchers do for their friends  is to switch your female or castrated male pig for their old boar that was used for breeding. The entire pig had to be fed to the dog.  This happened to us just once...and we never went back to that meat processor again!  We found out that he was notorious for this....he even somehow "lost" someone elses cow, if you can believe that!

A chicken will eat gross stuff too...pigs and chickens are meant to be scavenger animals...we have domesticated them...and if you leave a domesticated pig go .....they will return to their feral state...they will grow longer hair and tusks...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 08:32:15 AM by Amisheggpicker »
Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline Haverwilde

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 01:12:48 PM »
Amish,
Interesting information.
My sister lived in Turkey for many years. She was telling me about the wild pigs. Periodically they would go and thin the pack of pigs. She said that the only way the meat was edible was if they skinned the pig immediately. If the hide was left on for even an hour or two the meat was terrible.
Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 11:20:22 PM »
The entire pig had to be fed to the dog.

Now you can't eat the dog, either!!!

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 10:36:48 AM »
razorback....I don't think I could ever starve an animal just to keep it small...I would kill it before I would starve it...I really have problems with the folks whom drop off kittens and puppies back our dirt road and let them go....by the time they make it to our house in the woods, they are starving and sickly.  I don't understand why folks don't get their pets neutered or spayed...putting them to sleep is more humane than dropping them off to fend for themselves...so for me to deliberately starve an animal...I just couldn't do that.

Haverwild...I am completely ignorant about Turkish pigs...hahahaha!  Never have been to Turkey...but it would be interesting to find out is they are the same as the feral wild pigs here in the US...

Boo Mushroom...that dog is a very skinny dog by nature....all you would get was some skin and some bones....hahaha....I asked the vet about his weight and he said that that is the way he is built....you can't see his ribs, so he isn't starving, but he sure is a skinny thing...
Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Your Ad Here - Email for Info
Help Support E-P.com
Even A Buck Makes A Difference!
Or Make Convenient Monthly
Donations By Selecting
A Payment Option
Payment Options