Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Going to my first gun show - any tips?  (Read 1491 times)

Offline 9thInfDivRvrRat

Re: Going to my first gun show - any tips?
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2013, 05:36:20 PM »
Well, og52, Fudd guns is a derogatory term, aimed at those of us who've reached mature stature and appreciate Elmer Fudd's fine side-by-side which he attempted to use to dispatch that notorious Wascally Wabbit. Those young whippersnappers who can't abide anything but the latest .223/5.56 in multi-semi-supercalifragilistic-auto-dynaflush, spray&pray , all-plastic, every-camo-pattern-in-the-world, storm-the-beach Assault Carbine know that such a weapon is the absolute minimum they can be seen carrying. I guess I need to set my coach gun up with a trailing cart to carry the 24V submarine battery that'd be needed to power all the necessities, such as lights, laser, taser, infrared, night vision, HD-maxi-pixel-47GB-sniperscope, and mini versions of all the above for my revolver. If I still had that Beretta that fell out of my pack on that last day hike to the Himalayas, I'd have to equip it similarly, but those old, low-tech guns will have to do it for me. Oh, there's the single barrel derringer in .41 Short rimfire, but that's hardly worth mentioning since it ain't got the capability of bein' modified to accept a high magazine clip like them-there Clucks, or Glucks, or Glocks or whatever those deadly assault pistols are that fire elebenty-sebenty rounds with a reload. 
Used to be anotherone.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2013, 06:26:24 PM »
The terms 'Fudd' and 'Fudd gun' derive from the animated nemesis of Bugs Bunny.  The terms refer, with varying levels of derogatory-ness, to hunting rifles and shotguns and some of their users.

As stated above, the truly disdainful use of the term 'Fudd' is saved for the who are perfectly content to allow large scale encroachment on the right to keep and bear arms, as long as nobody messes with their over-under fowling piece and deer rifle.  Go ahead and look up Jim Zumbo on google some time.

In terms of manual action rifles in military calibers, at some point in the past, Remington made a version of their 7600 pump action rifle in .223 that took AR mags.  It's not listed on their web site any more.  Or you can find an Ishapore SMLE in 7.62 NATO.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Langenator

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2013, 06:38:31 PM »
My bad...the rifle I was thinking of is the Remington 7615
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2013, 06:40:31 PM »
... I guess I need to set my coach gun up with a trailing cart to carry the 24V submarine battery that'd be needed to power all the necessities, such as lights, laser, taser, infrared, night vision, HD-maxi-pixel-47GB-sniperscope, and mini versions of all the above for my revolver. ...
Stoeger has you covered.

or, if you prefer over-under

...Or you can find an Ishapore SMLE in 7.62 NATO.
Which can be turned into a reasonable facsimile of a Scout rifle, complete with baoyonet lug.
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline cd

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2013, 07:16:56 PM »
Mossberg Varmit:
http://www.mossberg.com/products/rifles/centerfire/mvp-varmint

Takes AR mags. Must be eeeeevillllll  ;)

Offline razorbacker

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2013, 07:21:55 PM »
Slightly off topic...I had to take the spouse to the Dr this week, and we had some extra time and she wanted to see about maybe getting one of those pink .38 specials (she's a girly girl, the best kind ;D) so we dropped by a nearby gun store.  Maybe I should mention that it was about 1:30 Central time last Wednesday.  Place was packed.

Well, all the pink .38s were gone, all the evile black rifles were gone, all the dozen or so SKSes, Romanian AKs, etc. that had been on the 'historic battle rifle' rack in mid-Dec. were gone...you kinda get the drift of this...I picked up another 'clip' (heh) for the Ruger MkIII and as I was checking out I mentioned to the lady at the register that all the AKs and clones had disappeared.  She leaned in close and sotto-voiced that she had one more that had just come in, did I want it?

Naturally, I did not, being the gentle, nonthreatening, unassuming sort that I am, but I thanked her kindly and said that she should send our esteemed President an appreciation card, what with him being her best salesman.

She declined, with a bit more vigor than might suit such a pretty young thing.  Said she had not had a day off since Thanksgiving, due to his help.

Offline oldguy52

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2013, 07:43:25 PM »

In terms of manual action rifles in military calibers, at some point in the past, Remington made a version of their 7600 pump action rifle in .223 that took AR mags.  It's not listed on their web site any more.  Or you can find an Ishapore SMLE in 7.62 NATO.

Thanks guys. Guess I've got a little Fudd DNA in me too. Haven't got a thing against the old .30-30, in fact I have one, except it's a little short on range with the flat tipped ammo. That can be improved by going to the ballistic tipped ammunition like Federal, LeveRevolution

As to the bolt action guns I've already got a Ruger, Gunsite Scout .308. I'm kind of a jeff Cooper fan :) The one in the pic is left handed, but mine's actually right handed.

and a CZ 527 in .223 which is the one I just picked up a couple months back. An excellent prairie dog/coyote gun according to some people who would know.

[img width= height=]https://czusamedia.s3.amazonaws.com/cache/60/9b/609b31ccba3cdd19a08dcb8a486e79d6.png[/img]
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 07:47:08 PM by oldguy52 »
O.G.

"Stupid is supposed to be painful, it's nature's way of learnin' ya" - Me, 1994

When one finds himself living in interesting times, it is prudent to become as uninteresting as possible.... Me, 2011

Offline cd

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2013, 07:56:44 PM »

Naturally, I did not, being the gentle, nonthreatening, unassuming sort that I am, but I thanked her kindly and said that she should send our esteemed President an appreciation card, what with him being her best salesman.

^ You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Just curious, did she mention a price before you gently declined the opportunity?

Offline razorbacker

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2013, 08:26:21 PM »
Just curious, did she mention a price before you gently declined the opportunity?

No, and I did not inquire.  Prices overall, for most all caliber weapons over .22, seemed to be about 20% higher than mid-December.  That may be my imagination, but the Remington 742 in .30-'06 I had my eye on was gone.

You snooze, you lose.

Offline 9thInfDivRvrRat

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2013, 10:15:11 PM »
Well dang, Sgt. Drang, I was just funnin' and here you go with the real thing for my Fudd-blaster. If that was the scope that sees around corners and will make the slugs travel in loop-de-loops, I'd swear that's the same gun I used, along with a black powder BMG .50 when I won my 5th CMOH as doorgunner on the space shuttle. There we were, halfway to the Moon on the Starship Klingonclouter, when President Curly Bush had an attack of appendicitis. The only chance to save him was to hit the silk with the Prez under one arm and his beautiful red-headed nurse under the other. About that time, the alien shape-shifter stowaway followed us, disguised as Bob Hope. After a bit of free fall (I finally pulled the ripcord about 50 feet above Mt. Rushmore) ...Oops- that whole mission was so classified that I can't even mention it here.
Oh, yeah, thanks for the link.
Used to be anotherone.

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2013, 10:41:00 PM »
Well dang, Sgt. Drang, I was just funnin' and here you go with the real thing for my Fudd-blaster. If that was the scope that sees around corners and will make the slugs travel in loop-de-loops, I'd swear that's the same gun I used, along with a black powder BMG .50 when I won my 5th CMOH as doorgunner on the space shuttle. There we were, halfway to the Moon on the Starship Klingonclouter, when President Curly Bush had an attack of appendicitis. The only chance to save him was to hit the silk with the Prez under one arm and his beautiful red-headed nurse under the other. About that time, the alien shape-shifter stowaway followed us, disguised as Bob Hope. After a bit of free fall (I finally pulled the ripcord about 50 feet above Mt. Rushmore) ...Oops- that whole mission was so classified that I can't even mention it here.
Oh, yeah, thanks for the link.
I live to serve.  :D
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline cd

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2013, 09:25:31 AM »
No, and I did not inquire.  Prices overall, for most all caliber weapons over .22, seemed to be about 20% higher than mid-December.  That may be my imagination, but the Remington 742 in .30-'06 I had my eye on was gone.

You snooze, you lose.
Only 20% would be downright charitable, in the present madness.

My son recently acquired such a Fudd-weapon. (The 742). I'm trying to talk him into ditching the see-through scope rings to get it scope down to where it ought to be.

Offline razorbacker

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2013, 01:41:55 PM »
My son recently acquired such a Fudd-weapon. (The 742). I'm trying to talk him into ditching the see-through scope rings to get it scope down to where it ought to be.

His mileage may vary, but ditching the see-through scope rings would, in my experience, be a poor choice.

1.  Using the down-low rings means you can't use the iron sights.  Iron sights are still mucho useful for fast-moving, close range targets.  An old-fashioned, out-of-favor rifle like that most likely still has iron sights.  Not every target sits there still for you.
2.  See-through rings give you a handy carry-handle.  Yeah, I know, you shouldn't carry the rifle by the scope.  Someday it'll come back to bite me in the behind.
3.  Should ever the occasion arise that you need to come out of a toasty warm domicle into frigid-cold outdoors, that scope will fog.  Iron sights will be handy for a moment or two.
4.  All the lad has to do is measure the distance from the center of the scope lens to the center of the bore.  I know, for example, that my scope is two and a quarter inches high of the bore.  I shoot acordingly.
But, again, I'm not a gun-guy.  I'll defer to the more experienced shooters.

Offline cd

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2013, 02:58:51 PM »
The way I was taught was, empty gun, observe target in the distance, close eyes, throw up gun and point toward target. If, when you open your eyes, it is in line with the scope, do a happy dance. Otherwise, move the scope until it does.

I've hit my share of moving deer with a scope, my current Fudd-gun is equipped with a 2x7X Burris. Always stays on the lowest power, and about up to 2X, you can keep both eyes open. Works for me.

Although, I did opt for detachable Warne rings, so I could with a moment or three's notice, move to open sights. That is, if had adjusted the open sights, or even tried them, which I haven't.

With the higher scope, there's a tendency to lift your cheek off the stock, takes an extra second, less secure, and if it isn't on your shoulder square, might smack you. I prefer eliminating the need to think. Suits my style, anyway.  ;)

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2013, 03:23:33 PM »
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline razorbacker

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2013, 03:35:12 PM »
Anything over 50 to 60 yards, I always shoot with the scope.  Otherwise, I can't be positive of the exact bullet placement.  It's the difference between bursting the heart (or breaking the neck) and tracking for hours.

If the close-in target is already scoped, great.  I, personally, have had difficulty getting the scope onto a just noticed running, close, target.  As to how a target manages to get close in without being seen...we'll come back to that topic.  I've also had the laughable circumstance of being so fixated on the scoped target as to miss the movement of another, better target.  A wider field of view, like iron sights close-in, has seemed helpful to me.

I'll point out that all my hunting rifles are scoped, except my first side-lock muzzleloader.  For exact shot placement I find them essential.  Friends have claimed to just eyeball down the side of the barrel for those shots "just too close to miss"; I have found a way to miss those "too close to miss" shots anyway.  Although a buddy has given me a red dot holograph type thingy that looks like it's going to be a game changer.

None of this applies to range shooting, with known distance, stationary, targets.

I don't want to hijack this gun show thread.

Offline cd

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2013, 09:29:29 AM »
I don't want to hijack this gun show thread.
Mea culpa. Will this make amends?

Raleigh gun show reopens after accidental shooting

Raleigh, N.C. — One of the area's largest gun shows reopened Sunday after what authorities say appears to be an accidental shooting at North Carolina's state fairgrounds in Raleigh.

A 12-gauge shotgun discharged while its owner removed it from its case at a security checkpoint at the entrance to the Dixie Gun and Knife Show in the Jim Graham Building, fairgrounds Police Chief Joel Keith said Saturday.

Janet Hoover, 54, of Benson and Linwood Hester, 50, of Durham were hit by shotgun pellets and taken to a hospital, Keith said. Hoover was hit with small, birdshot pellets in her right torso, while Hester was hit in the left hand, Keith said.

Retired Wake County Sheriff's Deputy Jake Alderman, 54, of Wake Forest, suffered a slight hand injury and was treated and released at a Raleigh hospital, Keith said.

This is my usual fun show haunt. The guy was from Wilmington, NC. FWIW.

Most of my shots are probably 25-35 yards, my last two on moving deer at that range, scoped.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2013, 09:44:14 AM »
I used to go to that show when I was at Ft Bragg.  The one in Fayetteville was too small.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2013, 12:32:13 PM »
I used to go to that show when I was at Ft Bragg.  The one in Fayetteville was too small.
The one in Sierra Vista, AZ was held in the Ft Huachuca Rec Center!

I attended two others while at ANCOC, one in Tucson, the other in some border town, the name of which I can't recall, in the middle of the desert (I know, really narrows it down).
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline cd

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2013, 12:43:55 PM »
Yeah, Raleigh sees both the Dixie and the C&E shows. The Dixie seem bigger, the C&E smaller and slightly more antique / collector oriented.

But a ND is not good. I was tempted to go Sunday, but got to spend the day instead helping my youngest with his truck...

I not sure what they have down Charlotte way, where CarolinaJoe is, but I would expect they would be pretty large as well. I've heard the Greensboro show is usually pretty big. Never made it.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2013, 06:00:25 PM »
I sometimes went to the Charlotte show when I was stationed at Ft Jackson.  Pretty good size.

One plus to going to VA is that one of my favorite gun-show ammo vendors, Georgia Arms, usually goes to shows in Richmond.

On the downside, I remember in 2009 they stopped going to shows because they didn't have enough stock to take - it was all used up filling internet orders.  I didn't see them at any shows between  Dec 2008 and when I left for Afghanistan in May 2009.

I'm guessing things might be similar now and for good while.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus