Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Going to my first gun show - any tips?  (Read 2031 times)

Offline CarolinaJoe

Going to my first gun show - any tips?
« on: January 07, 2013, 08:19:48 AM »
I'm going to my first gun show this coming weekend and was thinking about buying a handgun.  Is there anything I should know about gun shows before doing this?

With all the gun control talk in the news I expect it will be packed, so going early might be a good idea. lol

I'm interested in finding a stainless steel revolver - revolver for extreme reliability and stainless steel for corrosion protection.  Maybe a .38 special or a .357.  - I have two purchase permits, so I might pick up two if I can afford it.

One last question - if I were to get a .357, what would you folks recommend for a second handgun?  I've considered a .22 for the second.

Offline cd

Re: Going to my first gun show - any tips?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 09:30:12 AM »
Wear comfortable shoes, lines may be long. ;)

Cash. See price, ask what the cash discount is.

I haven't been since the current silliness, but I generally find them to be among the most polite places you can visit.

Unless you are trying to keep weight to minimum, I'd suggest a DA Ruger (used? Rugers are pretty durable) .357, as you can shoot .38Spl from it as well.

I'd recommend a .22LR for a second, cheaper practice, will likely pay for itself in savings over extended practice with .38/.357 loads. I'd try and follow the basic form factor of the larger gun, if it's a DA revolver, then DA revolver.

Good luck and good hunting!!!  :)

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 09:33:23 AM »
1) Move to a state where you don't need a permit to purchase a gun.  
2) If you're looking at new guns, Smith & Wesson or Ruger.  
3) If you're looking at used, read the file I've attached, by Jim March. Print out the last page and take it with you.  If the seller won't let you do these things, walk away.
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 11:18:28 AM »
NC only requires a permit to purchase pistols.  Rifles and shotguns don't have the same requirement.

I never looked up the legislative history, but I'd suspect it's another Jim Crow relic that they now claim is about keeping guns away from criminals.  The permits are issued by the county sheriff's office, and back in the day, the sheriffs were all white.  NC also has the law against going armed "to the alarm of the public."  Good ol' boys with guns, of course, wouldn't alarm anyone (at least not anyone with authority to take any action), but blacks with guns...

I do find it quite hypocritical how Dems wail on and on that requiring an ID to vote places a onerous burden on the poor and minorities, but are silent on how requiring a permit to buy a pistol places even more of a burden. (You can get an ID in a single trip to the DMV, but a pistol purchase permit requires two separate trips, once to drop off the papers and once to pick them up after they're approved.  Of course, this has to be done during the normal work week, requiring people to take time off work, twice.)
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline cd

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 12:06:43 PM »
NC only requires a permit to purchase pistols.  Rifles and shotguns don't have the same requirement.
Correct. Interestingly, cross-bows also require the permit.  ???

This out of sync with the NC Wildlife crew, who allow cross-bows for Sunday hunting on private property (among other seasons).

Quote from: Langenator
NC also has the law against going armed "to the alarm of the public."  Good ol' boys with guns, of course, wouldn't alarm anyone (at least not anyone with authority to take any action), but blacks with guns...
I'm not familiar with that one. Last I knew, I thought open carry was legal in NC. Again, the last I knew, concealed (without CCP) or open carry on your own property or business was legal.

Quote from: Langenator
I do find it quite hypocritical how Dems ...
Hypocrisy has been refined to a fine art by pols in both parties, but the Dems manage to mix in their own special line of chutzpah as well.

Offline Les Nessman

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 02:41:36 PM »
I'm going to my first gun show this coming weekend and was thinking about buying a handgun.

Man, did you pick a bad time to do this. Prices for most anything are generally much higher than normal ...and many things are simply sold out.

But, that's just the way it goes in January 2013 America. It is what it is and I don't want to discourage you.

Luckily for you, the hysteria hasn't affected the things you mentioned (revolvers, .357, .22) as much as semi-autos or "scary 'assault' rifles"; so you may still be able to find what you want at a reasonable price.

- if I were to get a .357, what would you folks recommend for a second handgun?  I've considered a .22 for the second.

If you are getting revolvers, a .357 and a .22 would be an excellent choice, IMO.

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 06:07:33 PM »
Many of the gun dealers at fun shows here in Arizona will either offer about a 3% cash discount or else charge about a 3% surcharge for non-cash firearms purchases.  It may be the same where you are, so keep that possibility in mind.

Comparison shop, both before and during the fun show.  Before the fun show, check various online dealers (Bud's Gun Shop is a good starting point) and local gun shops for prices.  That'll give you a good baseline of what prices ought to be.  Once you arrive, unless some gun dealer offers you a price that's significantly better than what you've already seen, do your best to visit all the vendors and to write down their prices.

Finally, make sure to start your day by singing the Fun Show Song;D
American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere....

Offline CarolinaJoe

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 07:23:07 PM »
Thank all of you for your input.  I really do appreciate it.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 08:55:54 PM »
I'm not familiar with that one. Last I knew, I thought open carry was legal in NC. Again, the last I knew, concealed (without CCP) or open carry on your own property or business was legal.

Open carry is legal, with the noted caveat.  One that, to the best of my knowledge, is rarely, if ever, enforced any more.

Doesn't mean I'd feel comfortable OCing in a place full of blissninnies like Ashville.  Although Ashville does have a gun show.

And you can do what you want on your own property.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline cd

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 09:05:44 PM »
Open carry is legal, with the noted caveat.  One that, to the best of my knowledge, is rarely, if ever, enforced any more.

Doesn't mean I'd feel comfortable OCing in a place full of blissninnies like Ashville.  Although Ashville does have a gun show.
OK, that pretty much squares with what I thought. I do need to get my CCP, once I figure out if I'm going to stay in this state or slip across the borders into either eastern TN or southwestern VA.

As to open carry, concealed is better in every way, even if I do have to deal with a permit for what ought to be a constitutional carry situation. I don't want to wear a "Here's a gun to try to steal!" or "Shoot me first!" sign as I meander about.

Been thinking about a move a bit north of Asheville, personally. North of the blissninnies. (Nice term, I think I'll appropriate that for future use.)  ;)

Offline Langenator

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 09:15:26 AM »
Since I'm moving to the VA Tidewater, I'm going to have to look into getting a VA license.  Although VA, IIRC, has pretty good OC laws.  I don't have the kind of retention holster I would need for OC, though.

Have to look at joining VCDL, too.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline CarolinaJoe

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 06:41:26 AM »
I wanted to give y'all and update and to thank everyone again for their advice. :)

Everyone was very nice and the atmosphere was friendly.  It was crowded and many folks were still buying, even with the elevated prices.  Sadly, I didn't buy a new gun while at the show.  Prices are simply too high for me at the moment.

Offline cd

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 09:34:46 AM »
CarolinaJoe, sorry to hear that. If you can locate a local FFL that will handle a online order (usually $25 does the trick), you might want to haunt this website a bit:

http://www.slickguns.com/

I'd recommend gunbroker.com as well, but periods of madness and auction environments do not mix, it seems to me. Slickguns will point you to fixed prices from a variety of sources.

FWIW...

Offline CarolinaJoe

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 10:09:47 AM »
Awesome!  Thanks cd :)  - I will definitely give Slickguns a try.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 01:08:00 PM »
If you know exactly what you're looking for, you can also try budsgunshop.com or grabagun.com.

Stock levels have been kind of low for the last month.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline cd

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 01:22:25 PM »
If you know exactly what you're looking for, you can also try budsgunshop.com or grabagun.com.

Stock levels have been kind of low for the last month.
^ Yes. I've ordered from grabagun.com and kygunco.com and had good experiences from both. (As well as from ArizonaPawn via gunbroker.) Slickguns is a decent way to peruse a variety of retailers in a short amount of time. That's how I found both grabagun and kygunco.

Offline ColoConsrvCowboy

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 10:44:35 PM »
Thumbs up on Kygunco.com. I've bought two guns from them, their prices were great, and turnaround was fast. Of course, both of the guns were purchased before the current gun grab madness.

Frank

Offline Langenator

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 09:32:29 AM »
I just poked around their site a bit...man, their stock of semi-auto pistols (non-.22LR category) is, well, just not there.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline ColoConsrvCowboy

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 12:44:44 PM »
Yep, their stock has been decimated by the current run... Just like my local gun store, which went from well-stocked with everything to bare walls in a matter of days. At this point, they have buyers for everything that comes in, so they just verify S/Ns and leave 'em in the box since someone will be picking up the firearm within a day or two.

Frank

Offline Langenator

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 01:53:12 PM »
The bigger of the local gun stores has zero AR/AK/M1A/FAL or anything similar, even the looks like an AR but isn't M&P-15/22 .22 rifles are gone.  Semi -auto pistols are almost completely gone as well.

They've put every Fudd-gun (hunting rifles and shotguns for you non-gun nut types) they have out one the racks and tried to fill the pistol cases with scopes instead.

Still looks half empty.

Oh, and there's been a line to use the range every time I've dropped by, as well.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline cd

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 02:24:43 PM »
If I had available budget (and I don't), I'd be picking up some Fudd .30-30's and 870s.

But I have Fudd blood in me...  ;)

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 02:41:56 PM »
Nothing wrong with Fudds.  I'm sure that somebody will explain the practical difference between a vanilla Fudd 30.06 semiauto and the horrible slaughter machine that is the semiauto assault rifle.

Heck, now might be just the right time to pick up a nice 30.06 long gun in whatever format.  Since it isn't the highly coveted AR-whatever.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline cd

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 02:52:44 PM »
Nothing wrong with Fudds.  I'm sure that somebody will explain the practical difference between a vanilla Fudd 30.06 semiauto and the horrible slaughter machine that is the semiauto assault rifle.
That would be a difficult task. Ummm ... it recoils a bit more ... longer effective range ... more payload on target.

If one hasn't done it, try and compare the ballistics of the "evil" 7.62x39 AK/SKS round to the humbler .30-30? And in aimed fire (not spray and pray mode), very little difference betwixt a semi and lever. Though admittedly, capacity is a touch lower in the .30-30...

Quote from: Bill Quick
Heck, now might be just the right time to pick up a nice 30.06 long gun in whatever format.  Since it isn't the highly coveted AR-whatever.
A nice bolt gun in .30-06 or .308 could come in fairly handy...

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 03:23:52 PM »

Nothing wrong with Fudd gunsFudds tend to not care about restrictions aimed at non-Fudd guns.
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline oldguy52

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 03:31:29 PM »
A nice bolt gun in .30-06 or .308 could come in fairly handy...

Indeed! I have bolt action backups for my main working guns just exactly because of the BS that is going on now in the gov't. In fact I just picked up a .223 bolt gun a short while before this latest unpleasantness.

Whatever ammunition I may have stored, and in a couple calibers it is a considerable amount, will still be useful should the gooberment in charge today get it's way with semi-autos.

Oh.... and what is FUDD? Sorry to be so ignorant. :)
O.G.

"Stupid is supposed to be painful, it's nature's way of learnin' ya" - Me, 1994

When one finds himself living in interesting times, it is prudent to become as uninteresting as possible.... Me, 2011