Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Snowstorms/Hurricane  (Read 816 times)

Offline bennettvm

Snowstorms/Hurricane
« on: January 06, 2013, 08:24:54 PM »
We live in the DC Metro area.  In the past 10 to 12 years there have been some bad snowstorms and 1 hurricane and tropical storms.  During those storms, the roads have been either blocked or overloaded with traffic.  Power in most areas have been knocked out for days, and even weeks.  I got tired of having to worry about not being able to get groceries or power.  So i started to prepare the house for those kinds of emergencies.  I don't worry about economic collapse etc.  To me all that is just fear feeding fear.  I just want to have food and power for me family in any possible situation. 

Offline oldguy52

Re: Snowstorms/Hurricane
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »
Hello, bennettvm,

Welcome to the E-P Board. Feel free to ask any question that might come to mind. There are plenty of folks in here with extensive experience in a lot of areas.

Most any reason is a good reason to prep. I hope you're right about about the more drastic reasons, but my gut is telling me hard times are coming. As they say, it's much better to have stuff and not need it than it is to need stuff and not have it. So my preps are in consideration of times much longer than the average Hurricane of blizzard is likely to cause. Then if I never need the stuff for more than a hur.... uh, well we only have blizzards here and tornadoes sometimes, so much the better. It keeps a long time.

So, if you've got some question on your mind, speak up and a lively discussion will likely break out.  :)
O.G.

"Stupid is supposed to be painful, it's nature's way of learnin' ya" - Me, 1994

When one finds himself living in interesting times, it is prudent to become as uninteresting as possible.... Me, 2011

Offline Haverwilde

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 10:33:34 PM »
Bennet,
I have had the pleasure of visiting the D.C. area seven times in seven years--all municipal lobbying efforts. I marvel at anyone who lives and survives in that area. On one trip we drove, following signs—we thought—and  ended up in the wrong state. But with a little work we manage to eventually get to see Gettysburg PA anyway.
I would hate to consider what I would need to survive the SHTF in D.C.
I have a handle on most catastrophes for my area. But with the population, the scarcity of productive areas, the density of...everything, the lack of easy personal transportation, etc. I would rather not face Armageddon in D.C.
How does one survive in any megalopolis on the eastern seaboard.

Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!

Offline cd

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 08:16:00 AM »

Most any reason is a good reason to prep. I hope you're right about about the more drastic reasons, but my gut is telling me hard times are coming. ...
^ Agreed.

bennettvm, I do hope you're right, and the folks operating in your area do have a uncanny ability to keep kicking the can down the road. Perhaps they can keep it up indefinitely, but I doubt it.

However, if you are prepped for a 2 week disaster, that is about 13.5 days more than most of your neighbors. Not a bad start...

Offline CarolinaJoe

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 08:59:50 AM »
Yeah, you don't need to think the world is collapsing in order to do some prepping.  Winter storms, hurricanes, or even a bad afternoon thunderstorms, can cause disruptions in power and other essential services and it doesn't hurt to make some preparations.

In my area, an average storm is enough to knock out power for a day.  In such situations, it's great having a way to prepare hot meals, light my house, power my electronic gizmos and medical devices, etc...