Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Joy joy  (Read 527 times)

Offline Paul

Joy joy
« on: January 02, 2013, 05:18:26 PM »
Our forecast for this evening is 15 to 20 below zero.  In a normal year the coldest temperatures in this locality come during the last two week of January and the first two weeks of February.  If it is 15 below now, we may well be in for a week or more where it never gets above 20/25 below even in the daytime.

In the winter of 86 we had almost two weeks of 30 or more below temperatures.  My wife's 17 month old Oldsmobile threw a rod when she tried to start it because the oil did not lubricate the bearings.  GM covered the repair somewhat reluctantly but in the meantime I bought her a new Chevy Citation so she would have something to get back and forth to work.  When we got the Olds back, we gave it to our daughter who was about to start student teaching, so in the long run it probably worked out for the best.  We are retired now and if we get another year like that, we can stay in the house where we belong.  ( I know, it gets a lot colder in Alaska, etc. but I don't live in any of those places.)

Offline Langenator

Re: Joy joy
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 06:58:30 PM »
So I assume cars where you are aren't normally sold with the plug-in block heaters like in Alaska and Canada?
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Paul

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 09:02:41 PM »
At one time, say up until the mid-seventies, when people purchased a new car many of them came directly from the factory, equipped just the way the customer ordered.  Around here in those days most folks ordered a block heater. 

Now when you go to purchase a new vehicle you either take something already on the lot or give the dealer your specifications and, after looking around on the computer they tell you there is one that's pretty close out in Syracuse.  "It's the right color but the interior is Jade Green and it has the optional $3,000 aluminum wheels." 

I know the MBA's think packaging options and ramping up the price is the smart thing to do, but if people could still order vehicles with only the equipment they want and need, I am convinced that both the people and the car companies would be in a lot better shape.*

*  Sorry to go off on a rant, but my last truck cost over $40,000 and came factory equipped with a sound system a lot more expensive than most people have in their homes - does me a lot of good, I'm deaf as a post.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 07:33:07 AM »
Seems to me to be a business opportunity for someone, installing block heaters.  I know you can get such things done aftermarket, because I know lots of soldiers who had such work done after getting orders to Alaska (and probably for airmen going to Minot).

But it's been going on for at least 15 years.  I bought an Audi in 2008, and I couldn't get the stereo I wanted (with a CD player) without a big upgrade package that included a sunroof.  Sunroof was a no-go, since it lowered the interior roof too much for my height.

So I got an aftermarket changer installed for a whole lot less.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 08:49:04 AM »
At one time, say up until the mid-seventies, when people purchased a new car many of them came directly from the factory, equipped just the way the customer ordered.  Around here in those days most folks ordered a block heater. 

Now when you go to purchase a new vehicle you either take something already on the lot or give the dealer your specifications and, after looking around on the computer they tell you there is one that's pretty close out in Syracuse.  "It's the right color but the interior is Jade Green and it has the optional $3,000 aluminum wheels." 

I know the MBA's think packaging options and ramping up the price is the smart thing to do, but if people could still order vehicles with only the equipment they want and need, I am convinced that both the people and the car companies would be in a lot better shape.*

*  Sorry to go off on a rant, but my last truck cost over $40,000 and came factory equipped with a sound system a lot more expensive than most people have in their homes - does me a lot of good, I'm deaf as a post.

I ordered both of our SuperDuty Fords, exactly the way I wanted them.  It took 8 weeks to get one, and 9 1/2 to get the other, but they have exactly the options I wanted (if the combination was available at all).   They both have block heaters.  My Excursion came with one factory installed, which was an oddity for California (where I bought it).  I have added block and battery heaters to the tractor, too, since it stays outside (under a shed roof).

In PDARK, I had a block heater installed in my old Yukon - the heater cost about $35, the labor to do it was around $65....I didn't want to do it myself since it involved removing a freeze plug and it's hard to do without a lift.  There are do it yourself engine oil pan heaters that attach with big magnets, heaters that are cut into the radiator return hose, heaters that replace the oil dipstick, there are even people that just use mechanics work lights or small space heaters stuck under the car.....

Most all vehicles I've seen here come equipped with block heaters, if originally sold here.  They are mostly only used (if used at all) at home:  Unlike Fairbanks, Winnipeg, Saskatoon and a few really cold places there aren't 'parking meter' style plug ins around town.  With modern synthetic oils the need is a lot less, I think.
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Your Ad Here - Email for Info
Help Support E-P.com
Even A Buck Makes A Difference!
Or Make Convenient Monthly
Donations By Selecting
A Payment Option
Payment Options