Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Medical reference (Q for the Doc)...  (Read 1486 times)

Offline ND Martin

Medical reference (Q for the Doc)...
« on: December 28, 2012, 08:53:19 AM »
As an infomaniac (please enunciate carefully ;-)), I'm perpetually gathering a library--high-capacity disk drives/DVD, laptop, readers, solar charger stored in Faraday cage + several thousand paper books.  I'd be grateful if you would recommend some medical reference material.  Specifically...

What books would a physician want to have available?  What books would be most valuable for a layperson?  TIA...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 09:06:29 AM by ND Martin »

Offline lpdbw

Re: Medical reference (Q for the Doc)...
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 09:23:50 AM »
And specifically, what is your opinion of the book "Where there is no doctor"?

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 12:22:42 PM »
And specifically, what is your opinion of the book "Where there is no doctor"?

WTIND is a very, very basic level book - written for essentially uneducated and barely or illiterate people.  The information in them is keyed appropriately, and while it is culturally appropriate for third-worlders, I worry that first world folks may have trouble relating to the information in it.

It certainly isn't one that I consider a primary resource for anyone in N. America.  However, it is free for download and based on that I think it might have some place in a medical library.

The Where There is No Dentist book might be more useful for N. Americans, as is the Midwife book.
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 01:16:55 PM »
As an infomaniac (please enunciate carefully ;-)), I'm perpetually gathering a library--high-capacity disk drives/DVD, laptop, readers, solar charger stored in Faraday cage + several thousand paper books.  I'd be grateful if you would recommend some medical reference material.  Specifically...

What books would a physician want to have available?  What books would be most valuable for a layperson?  TIA...

http://www.emergency-preps.com/index.php?topic=352.msg1645#msg1645

Still pretty good advice, I think.  Except I have a couple of hundred e-texts now on my GTH drive, and a couple thousand pounds of books on the shelf. 

Most laypeople get focused on the 'kewl' trauma stuff.  What will kill most people post SHTF is illness, specifically illnesses that we have not seen in N. America much - diseases of poor sanitation, zoonotic diseases caused by vermin (from no trash pickup), etc.  When I want to let my colleagues down a notch or two I remind them that trash pickup men have kept more people alive in the last hundred years than physicians have in the last millenium....and the same goes for sewer workers, much less the engineers that designed sewer and water systems.
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 02:07:35 PM »
Thanks, Doc.  I figured that the topic wouldn't be new here, but it was easier to ask than search.  I'm still exploring the many layers of solid info posted in these forums and greatly appreciate the useful contributions and commentary of the good folks here.