Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Gun control...  (Read 761 times)

Offline ND Martin

Gun control...
« on: December 27, 2012, 10:27:24 AM »
This is making the rounds in the (ahem) blogosphere today...Archie Bunker's thoughts on gun control:

<a href="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/CLjNJI54GMM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/CLjNJI54GMM</a>

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
Re: Gun control...
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 05:35:51 PM »
This is making the rounds in the (ahem) blogosphere today....

No need to be shy to say "blogosphere"  around here, rumor has it some folks hereabouts are quite familiar with the term...  ;)
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 08:42:34 PM »
What's interesting about that video is how it is set up to make Archie look like a drooling idiot for supporting gun liberties.

What is forgotten today is that back then, in the sixties and early seventies, the radical new left was very much in favor of the 2nd, and viewed in through the prism that firearms were necessary to protect liberties against a tyrannical government.

I was a new leftist in those days, and the core of the movement was very definitely plotting sedition and revolution, and they intended to use firearms as an integral piece of the strategy.  The Black Panthers did not seek to arm themselves with baseball bats.

In fact, many of those currently calling for citizen disarmament and the gutting of the 2nd are the same people who held exactly the opposite view forty or fifty years ago.   Of course, now they are the establishment they hated back then.

Ox, meet gore.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline oldguy52

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 09:24:52 PM »

In fact, many of those currently calling for citizen disarmament and the gutting of the 2nd are the same people who held exactly the opposite view forty or fifty years ago.   Of course, now they are the establishment they hated back then.

Ox, meet gore.

Indeed the left seems to be historically challenged about many of the things they did whether back in the '60s or for that matter almost any time.

But, if you tell a lie often enough, eventually people will start to believe it.
O.G.

"Stupid is supposed to be painful, it's nature's way of learnin' ya" - Me, 1994

When one finds himself living in interesting times, it is prudent to become as uninteresting as possible.... Me, 2011

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 01:12:46 AM »

Ox, meet gore.

Sounds like a good basis for an investigative piece of journalism, or as they call it now, Blogging.

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 01:54:21 AM »
if you tell a lie often enough, eventually people will start to believe it.

Indeed, if you tell a lie often enough, you may start to believe it yourself. 
Best to stick to the truth.

(BTW, Drang... While it may say 'Newbie' by my name, I've been messaging via the Internet for more than a quarter-century.  The parenthetic onomatopoeia was my way of subtly acknowledging Bill's contribution to the lexicon.  Maybe too subtle.  ;-))

Offline Langenator

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 08:53:08 AM »
Indeed the left seems to be historically challenged about many of the things they did whether back in the '60s or for that matter almost any time.

But, if you tell a lie often enough, eventually people will start to believe it.

Yeah, they still think Woody Wilson was some kind of hero and great president, instead of a racist a**hole who unnecessarily got us into a huge European war and decided it was our business to 'fix' the rest of the world.

Constant military intervention in Latin America to teach them to "elect the right sort of men," a policy wisely not continued by his Republican successors, Harding and Coolidge.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 12:27:44 PM »
In fact, many of those currently calling for citizen disarmament and the gutting of the 2nd are the same people who held exactly the opposite view forty or fifty years ago.  Of course, now they are the establishment they hated back then.

There were different "lefts" back then. I was a flower-wearing, wanna-be hippie who was not quite comfortable with guns. Now I'm not any more educated about guns (my son keeps correcting me when I call the thingy that holds the bullets a "clip"), but I am much more comfortable with them & support the 2nd amendment. And I lean Libertarian nowadays, but call myself an Independent because I'm commitment-shy.

Ox, meet gore.

You do have a way with words!  :)
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

"While we have the opportunity, let us do good to all." Galatians 6:10

BonniesBooks.net

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 01:04:55 PM »
Yeah, they still think Woody Wilson was some kind of hero and great president, instead of a racist a**hole who unnecessarily got us into a huge European war and decided it was our business to 'fix' the rest of the world.

Constant military intervention in Latin America to teach them to "elect the right sort of men," a policy wisely not continued by his Republican successors, Harding and Coolidge.

Or the lefts elevation of the Roosevelts (both of them) or Kennedy (all of them) to sainthood......
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline Langenator

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 01:23:59 PM »
Well, the Right lionizes Teddy Roosevelt for being a 'tough guy', the whole "walk softly and carry a big stick" thing (that, at least, is generally good advice), and for thinking that guns are awesome.

The Left loves him for creating national parks and inserting the government into the economy.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 02:25:28 PM »
Well, the Right lionizes Teddy Roosevelt for being a 'tough guy', the whole "walk softly and carry a big stick" thing (that, at least, is generally good advice), and for thinking that guns are awesome.

The Left loves him for creating national parks and inserting the government into the economy.

Yeah.....I've spent my entire life studying the US Constitution and I still haven't found the part that allowed him to make national monuments, the FDA, etc....
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 08:41:08 PM »
What is past is prologue...

The Wiley Act for good of the people

The Pure Food & Drug Act (PFDA) was passed by Congress 100 years ago this week on the 30th day of this sixth month of 1906.

The PFDA was commonly referred to as The Wiley Act.  It was the unrelenting persistence of Dr. Harvey W. Wiley M.D. that brought about the passage of this law for the good of the people in this nation.

Dr. Wiley accomplished this as head of the Bureau of Chemistry.  Today’s Food & Drug Administration (FDA) declares as its origin the passage of this PFDA in 1906.

It took Dr. Wiley almost 25 years of hard fighting against industry and political influences to get the PFDA enacted.

The wily act for the good of industry

It took less than one year after the passage of the PFDA for industry and political influences to reinterpret and obscure the wording of this law to mean other than what it clearly said.

Forbidding adulterations and additions to foods to maintain their purity was reinterpreted to mean allowing adulterations and additions to maintain their purity as just one example.

Dr. Wiley resigned in disgust and went to Good Housekeeping Magazine where he established their ‘Seal of Approval’.  Wiley continued to fight against adulteration as a private citizen until his death in 1930 on the same 30th day of this sixth month that his Wiley Act originally passed before its rapid decline.

Turnabouts – foul play

Wiley’s Bureau of Chemistry was disbanded by Congress which replaced it with the FDA.  The FDA has ever since laid a false claim to Wiley and his legacy.

The Harvey W. Wiley Federal Building is at the heart of the FDA headquarters.  Wiley is referred to as ‘Father’ and ‘Founder’ by the FDA.

Yet Wiley himself wrote in his own lengthy book ‘History of a Crime’ on these matters about the criminal nature of the FDA shortly before his death as he neared 90 years of age.

The full title of the Wiley book is ‘History of a Crime Against The Food Law:  The Amazing Story of The National Food and Drugs Law Intended to Protect The Health of The People – Perverted to Protect Adulteration of Foods and Drugs’.

Wiley had championed against saccharin and sulfites more than half a century before regulations ever were finally enacted against these substances.

Wiley almost single handedly kept the government creation of ‘corn syrup’ out of the marketplace while he lived through his personal congressional lobbying and testimony. It took until the 1970s before this foul substance was finally able to achieve commonplace status in the food supply.  Since that time diabetes has more than doubled and only in recent years is corn syrup again being challenged more than half a century after Wiley fought so valiantly to keep it out of the marketplace.

An FDA official historian last year wrote what she described as “the first in a series of articles” to commemorate Wiley’s PFDA centennial and the alleged birth of the FDA.  No other articles followed in that series.  That should serve as a timely notice of the agency’s regard for its ‘founder’ and for its ‘history’.

The FDA has been a pirate organization since its inception that followed long after the 1906 PFDA passage.  The many skull and crossbones poison drugs such as thalidomide and Vioxx are appropriate flaggings to its multiple failings.  Its multitude pirate raids against dietary supplements as with ephedra most recently, and its campaigns against nutrition add to the legacy of distortion, destruction and death that are the true hallmarks of the FDA (Freedom Disallowed Agency or Federal Death Administration?).

The FDA is not nor ever has been a watchdog for the good people to keep industry in check.  The FDA is rather a watchdog for industry to keep the good people in check.

It is long past time to put that ol’ Federal Dog Agency out of our misery.  Let that bureaucratic boondoggle fall to pieces so that Dr. Harvey W. Wiley can finally rest in peace.

Full text of Wiley's book here.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 12:19:41 PM »
It's called regulatory capture, and it happens to just about every regulatory agency that gets established.  Largely because the regulated industries have much more incentive to lobby, etc.

The two agencies that it has happened to the least are probably the EPA, which seems to be inhabited largely by enivornmentalist zealots, and the ATF.  I'm not sure if they're gun haters or just a**holes who get off on their power.

Now, what does your post have to do with gun control, the topic of this thread?
Fortuna Fortis Paratus