Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Moving to the Tidewater  (Read 1717 times)

Offline Langenator

Moving to the Tidewater
« on: December 18, 2012, 10:26:14 AM »
I just got the notification for my next assignment - Fort Eustis.

What's the major disaster hazard risk in that area?  I'm guessing hurricane/tropical storm weather type stuff - standard loss of power, water service, etc.

Trying to figure what sorts of stuff I don't have that I might need for that area's potential problems.  I know it's the closest to the water I'll have ever lived.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
Re: Moving to the Tidewater
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 10:33:41 AM »
didn't you just move?  Oh yeah...military....I kid you not...sometimes I didn't even know where my children were.....my daughter once had orders to go to the Phillipines...and when she was in the plane, they came running out on the tarmac and handed her different orders...I thought she was in the Phillipines for 3 days before I found out she was in Japan...hahaha...

Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline cd

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 11:15:24 AM »
I would think flooding / storm. Not much high ground to be had there. Hard to find topo lines in Terrain view on Google maps. Major access is by bridge or down a long peninsula. The closest I've been is Williamsburg.

I suppose the other major hazard is that you'd be a military target. But you doubtless realize that. ;)

Offline Langenator

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 01:50:59 PM »
Yeah, flooding...which agency is the official keeper of the flood danger maps?  FEMA, Corps of Engineers, or somebody else?
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline cd

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 02:10:40 PM »
Often the GIS service for the area (usually the county) will have a flood overlay option, even in rural areas. I gotta believe that a populated area like that would offer that.

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 04:17:30 PM »
FEMA has flood hazard maps that can be viewed online.  Part of the National Flood Insurance Program, the 100 and 500 year flood hazard zones are overlaid on aerial orthophotography.

You can also view the FEMA overlays in Google Earth.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 04:35:37 PM by ND Martin »

Offline Langenator

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 05:24:06 PM »
FEMA has flood hazard maps that can be viewed online.  Part of the National Flood Insurance Program, the 100 and 500 year flood hazard zones are overlaid on aerial orthophotography.

You can also view the FEMA overlays in Google Earth.

That's the ones I was looking for. Thanks!
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 08:21:59 PM »
I just got the notification for my next assignment - Fort Useless.
FIFY.   :D
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 08:44:08 PM »
Yeah, I know.  Heard that one already.

Of course, my reaction when I saw it was more "WTF?" because it wasn't on my list.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 06:34:15 AM »
Yeah, I know.  Heard that one already.

Of course, my reaction when I saw it was more "WTF?" because it wasn't on my list.

There is a reason the list is called a 'Dream Sheet'  ;D
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline Mr. Bingley

• The Coalition of the Swilling
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 08:27:10 PM »
Real nice beach at Sandbridge :)

Offline Langenator

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 06:41:33 PM »

There is a reason the list is called a 'Dream Sheet'  ;D

Well, after the top 5 (which was all they asked for anyway) it mostly degenerates to "which posting do I want to avoid the most?"

I asked the assignments officer, and he said that he tried to give everyone something that was on their list, but some postings showed up on too few lists, or none at all, so some folks got short straws.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline Nietzsche

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 12:22:35 PM »
I have lived in this area my entire life.  Even with what we call major storms, outages can be spotty.  After Isabel, we had our power back by noon the next day.  My sister lives less than 10 miles away, and they were out for 13 days.  The neighborhood starting right across the street from me were out for 7 days.  We made a lot of ice during those two weeks.  If you choose to live on the peninsula, you need to check carefully the area you stay in.  Parts of Newport News and Hampton are pretty scary.  But, if you live on the southside, you have to go thru the tunnels every day.  That is a daily nightmare.  I live in Chesapeake, that's southside.  It's pretty nice if you can live and work in the same area.  I drive 1.7 miles to work, where my wife drives about 12 miles into Downtown Norfolk.  Closest Target is 6.8 miles away.  But, in this area, that's about as far as you can get.  If you have any questions I'd be glad to help.  Good Luck.  And, welcome to the neighborhood.  There is a lot to do and see around here.
What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 03:12:44 PM »
The Mrs and I went house hunting last week, looking the the Yorktown and Williamsburg areas.  One house we looked at, in the Queens Creek area of Williamsburg (just south of the Camp Peary green block on google maps), actually had a generator and properly kitted out breaker box.  The owner said they actually lost power for over a week due to one of this summer's hurricanes (not Sandy).  Downed trees were the culprit.  Unfortunately, that house is a less than ideal set up for our family (one of the bedrooms is outfitted as a permanent office, with built-in shelves and desk.  We need all the bedrooms to be bedrooms.)

I'm figuring on buying a genset to make sure we have power during hurricane season.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline Nietzsche

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 10:03:32 AM »
It's really nice up that way.  A generator is a good idea.  But, more dangerous than the hurricanes around here are the Nor'easters.  They can, at times, last for days.  Between the wind and the rain, trees start falling and low areas flood.  I think what makes them more dangerous, is people around here think that if it doesn't have a name, it can't be bad.  With the coast shaped the way it is, a hurricane has to come in just right to get bad.  A Nor'easter just keeps beating until things start to break.  Up your way there is a little more elevation with less flooding.  But, there is water everywhere around here.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 12:39:32 PM »
I am loving all the history in the area, though.  One of the houses we looked at (we really like it, but it's empty right now, and most likely won't be available when we move in June) is less than 2 miles from the visitor's center for the Yorktown battlefield.  Plus colonial Williamsburg, and all the Civil War stuff.  I'm going to have some fun with all of that.

And we homeschool our kids, so there's lots of stuff for them to learn about.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 03:29:59 PM »
I am loving all the history in the area, though.  One of the houses we looked at (we really like it, but it's empty right now, and most likely won't be available when we move in June) is less than 2 miles from the visitor's center for the Yorktown battlefield.  Plus colonial Williamsburg, and all the Civil War stuff.  I'm going to have some fun with all of that.

And we homeschool our kids, so there's lots of stuff for them to learn about.
You'll have to look up Nancy R. She'll have you all in period costume in no time.
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Mr. Bingley

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 04:22:42 PM »
once you get settled in take some trips a little inland to Charlottesville and there's even more great history to be found!

Offline Nietzsche

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 08:46:29 AM »
That area is really good for learning history.  Most of the people working in the historical areas really know the topic.  With no PC restraints.  It seems every time I go to Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown or Yorktown, I pick up another little bit of something really interesting.  There are also a lot of museums around too.  Try the Mariners Museum.  That is one of my favorites.  They are preserving the USS Monitor there.  It's a really neat place. 

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 05:35:26 PM »
Just driving up and down the freeway there is a history lesson:  Every offramp seems to be a battle or other historical site.
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline Mr. Bingley

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 08:12:20 PM »
Just driving up and down the freeway there is a history lesson:  Every offramp seems to be a battle or other historical site.

I love the south, I adore the south, I went to college in the south...but driving by the "Stonewall Jackson SHRINE" on 95 cracks me up every time!

Offline Langenator

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 08:36:04 AM »
I love the south, I adore the south, I went to college in the south...but driving by the "Stonewall Jackson SHRINE" on 95 cracks me up every time!

I remember that sign...can't recall if it's north or south of Richmond, but I do remember it...
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline Mr. Bingley

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2013, 05:08:18 AM »
I think it's around Fredericksburg...

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2013, 12:10:35 PM »
Isn't this area pretty close to the part of the country John Ringo and Bill Forstchen write about?
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Langenator

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2013, 10:16:38 PM »
No clue.  I've only read The Last Centurion by Ringo and One Second After by Forstchen, which is set in the mountains of western NC.

This is the peninsula  SE of Richmond.  Think Yorktown, Jamestown, the Seven Days Battles, Cold Harbor, and the NewPort News Naval Shipyard.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Your Ad Here - Email for Info
Help Support E-P.com
Even A Buck Makes A Difference!
Or Make Convenient Monthly
Donations By Selecting
A Payment Option
Payment Options