Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Canned Meat  (Read 2577 times)

Offline Musket User

Canned Meat
« on: December 10, 2012, 11:33:43 AM »
canned up a load of pork and chicken today. Got laughed at by mouthy relative. I hope she doesn't come here in a emergency. Put up a couple more gallons of water.

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
Re: Canned Meat
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 01:18:59 PM »
canned pork is AWESOME.....
good for you....mouthy relative can stuff herself...I have a naysayer in my family too!
Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 02:43:02 PM »
canned pork is AWESOME.....

Also canned beef, canned chicken, canned rabbit (but best for soup as it tends to get mushy), canned fish, canned venison, and so on.

My in-laws have, in the past, canned anything that was brought in by the hunters. My husband says the canned squirrel was great.  :)  Our squirrel are too small to bother with.  :(

On my side of the family no one (that I know of) preps, but I've been canning for so long no one sees it as weird.

God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

"While we have the opportunity, let us do good to all." Galatians 6:10

BonniesBooks.net

Offline North

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 03:36:45 PM »
I haven't canned any pork yet, what cuts do you use?

I've done beef and ground beef as well as hamburger soup and chili.  I need to make another few quarts of chicken stock and I think I have enough pork bones to try pork stock.

Offline satantroll

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 04:17:48 PM »
Mouthy relatives won't be so mouthy if/when the SHTF!  Good for you for being so diligent with the canning...  What an important skill to have!!!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Offline xtron

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 04:35:28 PM »
what cuts of pork do i can???
whatever is cheap...hams when they are on after holiday sale, picknics...boston butts are really good..
cube the meat into 1 1/2 to 2 inch cube, cold pack, do NOT add liquid, can 10 pounds for 90 minutes.
i don't seasoning or add other ingrediants..that way you can use it for, or with, anything on the other end..
good luck and enjoy

Offline Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 08:43:16 PM »
i don't seasoning or add other ingrediants..that way you can use it for, or with, anything on the other end..
good luck and enjoy

Me neither, unless I'm canning soup. No salt is needed at all - it's for taste, not preserving. As for cuts, I get a 1/2 pig at a time & just cut up pig. Some goes in the freezer, chops & ribs mostly, the rest gets cut up & canned.

You haven't tasted good pork until you eat homegrown. I'm so spoiled now, I won't buy any pork except the occasional good ham & bacon, on sale only. I haven't learned how to do my own ham or bacon yet.
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

BonniesBooks.net

Offline North

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 11:07:52 AM »
Bacon is actually really easy, you just need to be able to cold smoke it.  I've seen methods for home canning bacon but I haven't tried them, I just freeze my bacon and get cans of Yoders for the shelf.

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 12:26:41 PM »
We also raise pigs occasionally, but also get pork from the butcher...and we can every cut there is....also can ham, sausage patties, ground sausage and bacon....
Bacon has not been tested by the Governmental gurus, so it is listed under the "not advised to can food"

BUT I can bacon all the time...and can it in pieces and also in strips (I just learned how to do that this year)  We LOVE the strips...it is a really cool way to have my BACON at all times...hahahaha! I could show you how, if anyone wanted pics....but keep in mind its not recommended.

They only food I would advise not to can is BRUSSLE SPROUTS....they are NASTY once canned...hahahahahaha! 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 12:28:21 PM by Amisheggpicker »

Offline Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 03:30:28 PM »
They only food I would advise not to can is BRUSSLE SPROUTS....they are NASTY once canned...hahahahahaha! 

Or cabbage, broccoli, or cauliflower. There are probably some others in that family that I don't know about.

Tho if you're turning the cabbage into sauerkraut, that can be canned.
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

BonniesBooks.net

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 05:55:03 PM »
The government gurus may not have tested it, but commercially canned bacon is all over the place, and nobody seems to be dying from it.  :D
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Langenator

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 08:36:03 PM »
Our squirrel are too small to bother with.  :(

If you're good with a slingshot, the A&M campus has some serious fat ones.  I'm sure nobody'd notice if you took a few over Christmas break...
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 09:11:10 PM »
Bonnie is correct... ( I mentioned the brussel sprouts because somewhere on here, I mentioned a story about canning brussel spouts. haha!)  I don't can broccoli or cauliflower....but I do can cabbage....I learned this trick from Jackie Clay....if you drain off the liquid, then it doesn't have that strong taste....but I will also say, I wouldn't keep the canned cabbage for more than  year...it does develop a strong taste.

Offline Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 10:08:35 PM »
The government gurus may not have tested it, but commercially canned bacon is all over the place, and nobody seems to be dying from it.  :D

There is a huge difference between home canning equipment and commercial canning equipment. They can get the pressure up much higher, and they are using cans which seal better than jars.

If you want to take chances, that's fine with me. But I'll stick with the commercially canned if I want canned butter, cheese, or bacon. And I'll continue to warn newbies to canning that there are POTENTIALLY dangerous things to can, as well as dubious methods. It doesn't mean everyone who cans bacon or butter is going to keel over dead. But it is, in my (not so) humble opinion, playing Russian roulette with your health. 
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

BonniesBooks.net

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 10:21:03 AM »
Well, we have been down this road before…and I’m going to be a little more in depth about this issue…no disrespect to anyone….just a difference of opinion.  And my post will probably not be to popular....hahahah!  Rebel that I am...hahahah!

For the record here….
Most bacon has nitrates in it which kills botulism.I said MOST Bacon…

Yes the professional canning agencies can at a slightly higher pressure….but meats and fish are safely home canned with a regular home canner. The canning books give you instructions on canning sausage, which has a fat content….so why would there be a problem with bacon…

And we have already established that you can kill botulism in any food if you heat it to a certain temp. when cooking it….This discussion will be found on another post.

Cans are also available to the home canner....they are just more expensive and not as cost effective as canning jars.

Two very high profile people  (Jackie Clay and Kellene Bishop) can bacon, cheese and milk…

I know that your heart is pure in this issue Bonnie…hahahahah!  And I know that you have taken a master  canners course…which for the most part, I agree with…and I know you have been canning for years…but just because someone has a master canner course underneath their belt….doesn't mean I would trust their guidance…..I take into consideration their experience also….

But it’s the little subtle things that are left OUT of the conversation that make a WORLD of difference.

We as Joe Q Public are under a massive assault on being able to produce, buy, sell and preserve our own foods.  The speed of this assault is even mind blowing to me.  And I have been fighting this for years.  The reason I am on this website is to try to get more folks involved in the production and preservation of their own food.

Just because something hasn’t been tested by our government, does NOT make it unsafe….this is something that I see in all aspects of our life….if the “authorities” say its good…then we the people assume that it’s good….

Don’t get me wrong….I think the testing is a noteworthy cause…but to say something is “unsafe” because it hasn’t been tested by the government, is subtly putting a fear into our minds and causes us to think that the government ONLY has the answers.  This is a “sheeple” attitude.  The problem lies in the fact that they do put out good guidelines….but they are NOT all knowing….

The National Food Canning Site does not recommend canning these items because they have not been TESTED by their agency….and they give a few suppositions on why you might not can them….Because they are a testing agency, they can not promote ANYTHING that they haven’t tested….that doesn’t mean it’s unsafe.

If the average Joe would look at the history of our food preservation, they probably would shudder at the way our grandparents preserved our food….food WE ate…food THEY ate…I still shudder at  some of the ways the Amish preserve their food.  
We are so far removed from knowing how are food is produced and preserved that it sets us up to be manipulated into thinking that we can not do for ourselves.  And this is how it starts…slowly tell us that something is bad without proof…and soon we are believing that it’s all bad…then we all have our hand out asking for the Government to feed us…because we blindly followed….

I know the saying.."I don't want to be the one that dies from someones home canned food that has botulism"....(check again the statistics on the other post....)
We are acting like this is a terrible epidemic that we all need to glove gown and mask  ourselves .....this is simply not true...your more likely to get the flu or cancer....
My response is this:  I don't want to be hit by a drunk driver...but I still drive....I don't want to be shot and killed by a mall shooter, but I'm still going to the mall...I don't want to be bitten by a shark in the ocean, but I'm still swimming in it....

Remember folks…thalidomide was good, eggs are bad and once a long time ago, tomatoes were poison and agent orange was just a weed killer…

« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 10:23:39 AM by Amisheggpicker »

Offline Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 02:40:17 PM »

I know that your heart is pure in this issue Bonnie…hahahahah!  And I know that you have taken a master  canners course…

Not just one course, four over the past 15 years.

Would you jump in the ocean where a shark has just been sighted? I don't think so. But if you wanted to, I would let you. You're an adult. But if you were carrying a child into shark infested water, then I would have to do something.

I have read too much about the results of botulism - and listened to one victim -  to really want to avoid the chance of botulism. Even if you survive, the nerve damage could make life unbearable.

Now salmonella - that's different. For someone of my age & general health, I would have an extremely good chance of recovering. Besides, I mostly eat eggs from my own chickens, which have a lower chance of having salmonella.  :)
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

BonniesBooks.net

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 02:56:51 PM »
hahah...Bonnie....you know I always have to have a good debate with you on this....good thing your so good natured....in reference to would I swim in the ocean where a shark has been sited...here's my answer in a question form.
...are there any recorded cases of botulism from home canned milk, bacon or cheese? (otherwise the shark siting in the ocean)

Also when I read of the very very few cases of botulism in home canned foods....it's usually something very stupid that the person has done, and usually involves not cooking the canned foods, once the jar was opened...or under processed foods......but of course I know you think it's stupid canning bacon, cheese and milk...hahahah...

I don't think we will ever agree on this subject....but I'll bet a hundred dollars that we agree on a million other things! 

Have a great day Miss Bonnie....and safe canning to you .....I wouldn't wish any disaster on anyone....even that dopey person mr bill kicked off here that called me a Amish Chick....hahahahah!  My husband saw that on his computer and he said it would be more appropriate to have called me an "old hen"...hahahahaha!   I told him that that would make him a donkey...hahahah.

Offline Musket User

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 04:29:04 PM »
My Pork and Chicken turned out great so I canned some more today. Tomorrow I hope to can some Bacon. Why? because any disaster is more survivable with bacon. :D

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 06:15:53 PM »
Are you canning it in pieces or wrapping it in parchment paper?  I like to do both...

Offline Musket User

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 05:38:40 AM »
I will be doing both.