Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: DIY Wood Stove  (Read 1369 times)

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
DIY Wood Stove
« on: December 07, 2012, 05:58:01 PM »
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
Re: DIY Wood Stove
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 07:45:05 AM »
that's pretty cool...reminds me of a smaller and more souped up version of the Barrell stove that folks make for their garages around here...I think I print out the instructions for that...
Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline oldguy52

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 09:41:13 AM »
Here's one I found a while back that might be useful for heating a little (not much) more than a tent. Not as much fun for the DIY guys though, since it's already built :)

Unless I'm mistaken, these are made from refrigerant cans.

http://www.stockstorage.com/woodstove.html

They've got some other stuff on this site too that might be worth a look. Their oven is just about right to bake bread the way I do it.
O.G.

"Stupid is supposed to be painful, it's nature's way of learnin' ya" - Me, 1994

When one finds himself living in interesting times, it is prudent to become as uninteresting as possible.... Me, 2011

Offline Haverwilde

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 04:37:31 PM »
When I saw this thread it reminded me of my kit. Somewhere in my shtuff is the 50 gallon barrel stove kit.
Back when the fuel oil drums were heavy duty, this kit was used all over up here. Cut a hole for the door and bolt on the kit’s door, cut a hole for the chimney and bolt on the chimney. Put it on the kit stand and you have an almost airtight wood stove.
The kit lost a lot of value when the fuel drums became flimsier. But it still would be real handy for wilderness cabins. Damn, I just wish I could find it.
Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 05:50:34 PM »
When I saw this thread it reminded me of my kit. Somewhere in my shtuff is the 50 gallon barrel stove kit.
Back when the fuel oil drums were heavy duty, this kit was used all over up here. Cut a hole for the door and bolt on the kit’s door, cut a hole for the chimney and bolt on the chimney. Put it on the kit stand and you have an almost airtight wood stove.
The kit lost a lot of value when the fuel drums became flimsier. But it still would be real handy for wilderness cabins. Damn, I just wish I could find it.

They still make them: 

At Cabelas, among other places...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Do-It-Yourself-Barrel-Stove-Kits/715620.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dwood%2Bstove%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=wood+stove&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 06:04:15 PM »
Haverwilde...that's the barrel burners I was talking about.....my Dad had one in his garage....He still tells the story of one cold winter night he went to the garage and got his barrel stove all fire up....and then my oldest brother popped into the garage telling him that Mom wanted him to come and take her to the hospital...she was ready to deliver our younger brother....Dad was mad because Mom didn't tell him she was in labor and he spent all that time getting that fire going...hahahaha!
Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline Haverwilde

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 09:55:28 PM »
Thanks Doc, Amish,

If I can't find mine, I may just have to buy another one.

Does anyone know what the double Barrel stove is for? Two stoves--one chimney? Grabbing the waste heat from the smoke?

Smoking meat and Fish?
Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!

Offline Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 10:43:36 PM »
When we bought our place it came with 2 barrel stoves - 1 in each building. They were very wasteful of wood & took up a lot of space. We replaced them with Quadra-Fire stoves, which are made locally. Much easier on the wood supply. We kept the old stoves for "just in case." The original owner stopped by after a couple of years & asked if he could have one of them back. We said sure - we weren't doing anything with them. So now we've got one barrel stove for "just in case."

At one of the granges where we hold cat clinics, the building is heated with one of those 2-barrel stoves - one on top of the other. I've never paid a lot of attention to it, but it looks like you could build a fire in both stoves - twice the heat. Last time we were there one of the grange ladies stayed the whole day to keep feeding it wood. I don't know if she didn't trust us or just wanted an excuse to sit around with a bunch of kitties.  :)
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

"While we have the opportunity, let us do good to all." Galatians 6:10

BonniesBooks.net

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 10:45:14 PM »
Thanks Doc, Amish,

If I can't find mine, I may just have to buy another one.

Does anyone know what the double Barrel stove is for? Two stoves--one chimney? Grabbing the waste heat from the smoke?

Smoking meat and Fish?

The top barrel just gives more radiating surface for the hot smoke, to increase the efficiency. 
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 02:08:40 AM »