Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Scanadu Scout  (Read 2889 times)

Offline Ken

Scanadu Scout
« on: November 30, 2012, 03:29:40 PM »
http://www.scanadu.com/news/

NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, CA – November 29, 2012

Scanadu Unveils Family of New Tools to Revolutionize Consumer Healthcare
NASA-Based Company Puts a Doctor in Your Pocket

Scanadu, a new personalized health electronics company, today unveiled the first three products in its family of consumer health tools: Scanadu SCOUT, Project ScanaFlu and Project ScanaFlo. Based at NASA-Ames Research Center, Scanadu is using mobile, sensor and social technology to ensure this is the last generation to know so little about our health. The newly introduced home diagnostic tools are set to be the biggest innovation in home medicine since the invention of the thermometer.

Founded in 2010 by Walter de Brouwer after a family medical emergency, Scanadu is using imaging and sound analysis, molecular diagnostics, data analytics and a suite of algorithms to create devices that offer a comprehensive, real-time picture of your health data. The company is also participating in the Qualcomm Tricorder X Prize, which looks to bring healthcare to the palm of your hand, as well as the Nokia Sensing X Challenge, which seeks to revolutionize digital healthcare.

“The thermometer, introduced in the 1800s, was the last great tool to revolutionize home healthcare,” said Walter de Brouwer, founder and CEO of Scanadu. “Consumers don’t have the tools they need to monitor their health and make informed decisions about when they’re actually sick and need to see a doctor. We want to empower consumers to take control of their health and give them direct access to their personal healthfeed.”

Scanadu Product Family
Scandu SCOUT
Scanadu SCOUT is a small, speedy and affordable device that puts vital health information at your fingertips. Simply hold Scanadu SCOUT to the temple, and in less than ten seconds it will accurately read more than five vital signs. Data collected by the Scanadu SCOUT is uploaded to the Scanadu smartphone app via Bluetooth to show:
• Pulse transit time
• Heart rate (pulse rate)
• Electrical heart activity
• Temperature
• Heart rate variability
• Blood oxygenation (pulse oximetry)

“Scanadu SCOUT lets users explore the diagnostic abilities of a clinic and conveniently puts them in your smartphone for less than $150,” said de Brouwer. “It’s like having a doctor in your pocket.”

Scanadu also unveiled its low-cost and disposable early detection diagnostic tools – Project ScanaFlo and Project ScanaFlu – which are integrated with Scanadu’s smartphone app.

Project ScanaFlo
Project ScanaFlo is a low-cost tool that uses the smartphone as a urine analysis reader. Designed to be sold over-the-counter as a disposable cartridge, Project ScanaFlo will test for pregnancy complications, preeclampisa, gestational diabetes, kidney failure and urinary tract infections. For pregnant women, Project ScanaFlo will be the first to provide a healthfeed throughout the duration of a pregnancy.

Project ScanaFlu
Project ScanaFlu is a low-cost tool that uses the smartphone as a reader to assess cold-like symptoms quickly, removing the guess work from early diagnosis of upper respiratory infections. By testing saliva, the disposable cartridge will provide early detection for Strep A, Influenza A, Influenza B, Adenovirus and RSV. Scanadu will introduce all three products to market by the end of 2013.

Creating Your Personal HealthFeed
Scanadu is empowering consumers with medical tools that educate in real time – as well as over time. With the Scanadu mobile app, consumers will be able to track their personal healthfeed to monitor personal vitals and averages and identify health stats and trends over time. This healthfeed will provide consumers with a better understanding of their health and create more informed conversations between patients and their healthcare providers.

“When it comes to health – averages don’t cut it. Vitals change throughout the day and vary from person to person, so it makes no sense to assume we are all the same,” said Dr. Alan Greene, Chief Medical Officer at Scanadu. “Health decision shouldn’t be based on averages, they should be based on a real, accurate and personalized healthfeed of data – which we now have the power to give to the consumer in the palm of their hand.”

About Scanadu
Based at NASA-Ames Research Center, Scanadu is using mobile, sensor and social technology to ensure this is the last generation to know so little about their health. Its first products look to disrupt home medicine and will be in market by 2013. Scanadu was founded by Walter de Brouwer in 2010.

Brittany Hodill
scanadu@thehatchagency.com
510-919-2774
“If mankind is to survive, then throughout man’s history except for a very few years the word “ship” will mean “space ship.”
Arthur C. Clarke

Offline BooMushroom

Re: Scanadu Scout
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 04:44:54 PM »
This is the type of project that will be hammered by Obamacare's medical device tax.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 07:52:11 PM »
The Star Trek Tricorder...foiled by idiot leftists policies!
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 08:38:47 PM »
The Star Trek Tricorder...foiled by idiot leftists policies!

Of course....if we diagnose later, the outcomes are worse, and costs are less.

Vets have access to a single-lead EKG device that attaches to an IPad.  Its not legal to use it on humans.
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline Ken

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 09:25:26 PM »
Of course....if we diagnose later, the outcomes are worse, and costs are less.

Vets have access to a single-lead EKG device that attaches to an IPad.  Its not legal to use it on humans.

Yes, is this the one that you are thinking of?

http://www.alivecorvet.com/
“If mankind is to survive, then throughout man’s history except for a very few years the word “ship” will mean “space ship.”
Arthur C. Clarke