Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Oil Filter Suppressors for .22s?  (Read 456 times)

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
Oil Filter Suppressors for .22s?
« on: November 29, 2012, 10:11:10 PM »
The comments to this post over at DP got me interested in the notion of making suppressors for .22 pistols and rifles out of spin on oil filters.

http://www.dailypundit.com/2012/11/29/why-gun-sales-are-booming/

Any thoughts or experience with these things?  Razorbacker notes they wouldn't be all that hard to kludge together with some electrical tape....
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline cd

Re: Oil Filter Suppressors for .22s?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 11:51:07 PM »
The comments to this post over at DP got me interested in the notion of making suppressors for .22 pistols and rifles out of spin on oil filters.

http://www.dailypundit.com/2012/11/29/why-gun-sales-are-booming/

Any thoughts or experience with these things?  Razorbacker notes they wouldn't be all that hard to kludge together with some electrical tape....
Well, without proper tax stamps, filings, etc., any such experimentation could land you in club fed.

I saw a YouTube video recently where a guy, with proper stamps, made one out rather affordably out of a flashlight body and freeze plugs.

I understand, again, totally hearsay, that a 2 liter bottle with a hole in the bottom taped to a longish 22LR barrel is pretty effective, especially with subsonic ammo. Again, I have NOT tried this.

This kind of research would be the kind of thing to save to a thumb drive ... for later. If the rule of law might not be in much evidence.

Way, way down my priority list is to do the tax / filing thingy and get a genuine .30 can, which I understand can also be used on a .22 barrel as well.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 08:27:34 AM »
Assuming the threads fit, you can generally use a suppressor for the larger caliber on a smaller one, although it may lose some effectiveness due to the oversize hole in the end.  Then again, a suppressor designed for a .308 is going to have a ton of extra space to hold gas as compared to one purpose designed for a .22.

Big key is making the threads match.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 11:09:54 AM »
Well, without proper tax stamps, filings, etc., any such experimentation could land you in club fed.

Yeah.  I can't see where the U.S. constitution allows the government to enforce such laws or gives it the power to do so, and in any true SHTF situation the legal situation would be irrelevant, but as for me, I'm glad I discovered this information, because I can conceive of several situations where it would come in handy.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Captain Morgan

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 01:06:36 PM »
Try a baby bottle nipple on you .22 rifle, they work to keep the report on the quite side.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 01:08:53 PM »
IIRC, there is a bit of good news (and this is all based on memory).

When I first heard about this, there was a someone who was making the 'adapters' which would screw onto your threaded firearm barrel, onto which you would then screw the oil filter.

The good news was that the ATF, at the time, ruled that the adapter was the item requiring the stamp, not the filters.

Not sure if that's still the case, since this whole thing has largely disappeared from view on the gun boards I visit.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 04:40:40 PM »
That's still the case, Lang.  Even the BATF isn't crazed enough to try to regard oil filters as machine guns, or whatever.

Yet.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 08:58:25 AM »
The "machinegun" was a shoestring with a ring tied to the end.  ???
Fortuna Fortis Paratus