Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Unexpected Outcomes  (Read 722 times)

Offline Ken

Unexpected Outcomes
« on: November 25, 2012, 02:54:15 PM »
Interesting.  The last time the government imposed so much regulatory changes, was the Great Depression.  The wages were frozen and Something had to be Done, so you could offer the workers incentive to work for you.

Thus, was born the Health Care Industry.  Check it Out....

Up until that point, Doctors were considered solidly middle class (but usually well respected) and most hospitals were run as Charities.

Have no doubt,  healthcare is now taxed and very much regulated. (as is education)

I expect a True Renaissance of the Underground Economy! (Gee, I love those Caps.)

I'm not too sure of the forms it'll likely take, just that a lot of it will be off the books, so less will go to the Government.

What do ya'll think?
“If mankind is to survive, then throughout man’s history except for a very few years the word “ship” will mean “space ship.”
Arthur C. Clarke

Offline BooMushroom

Re: Unexpected Outcomes
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 11:09:25 PM »
One possibility is a lot of doctors moving south and setting up shop just south of the border.

Offline Ken

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 05:07:57 AM »
Depends on what you mean, by "South of the Border".

Texas is already getting a net gain of Doctors and some pretty hefty improvements of medical services, mostly ever since the state of Texas passed tort reform for medical services.
(Ie, you only get a limited amount of money for mental distress, but you aren't exactly limited, on medical services, if the practitioner messes up.  And the biggie, lawyers can only get so much money.)

Heck, the dinky local hospital has a da Vinci Surgical System. (Can be used for heart surgeries, or even reversals of vasectomies.)  This was of course, ever since the local government handed over management to a private company. (Catholic run). We are going to try and get a Medical school, in the city, going soon.

Not to mention already having Medical Zones, in some cities. (Big tax breaks, for businesses and practices, if set-up, in certain areas)
“If mankind is to survive, then throughout man’s history except for a very few years the word “ship” will mean “space ship.”
Arthur C. Clarke

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 09:27:11 PM »
Depends on what you mean, by "South of the Border".

Texas is already getting a net gain of Doctors and some pretty hefty improvements of medical services, mostly ever since the state of Texas passed tort reform for medical services.
(Ie, you only get a limited amount of money for mental distress, but you aren't exactly limited, on medical services, if the practitioner messes up.  And the biggie, lawyers can only get so much money.)

Heck, the dinky local hospital has a da Vinci Surgical System. (Can be used for heart surgeries, or even reversals of vasectomies.)  This was of course, ever since the local government handed over management to a private company. (Catholic run). We are going to try and get a Medical school, in the city, going soon.

Not to mention already having Medical Zones, in some cities. (Big tax breaks, for businesses and practices, if set-up, in certain areas)

Doesn't seem fair that Texas has better healthcare, thinks DHHS.

"Nice healthcare system you've got there in Texas.  Shame if anything… happened to it."

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 11:17:49 PM »
Who is Dr. Galt?

Opting Out of Medicare: a guide for physicians

HOW TO OPT OUT OF MEDICARE

It is simple to opt out of Medicare - far simpler than staying in the Medicare program. Thousands of physicians have already opted out, and we have not heard a single regret by any of these physicians. Medicare endangers seniors, rations care and punishes the best doctors whose only aim is to give the best care. For the sake of patients and integrity of the profession, doctors should get out of Medicare...

A few more linkz:

A John Galt Speech For Direct-Pay Practitioners

The Surgery Center of Oklahoma is a 32,535 square foot, state-of-the-art multispecialty facility in Oklahoma City, owned and operated by approximately 40 of the top surgeons and anesthesiologists in central Oklahoma. The facility has been accredited by the AAAHC since 1998 without interruption and has annually provided care to thousands of patients...

...It is no secret to anyone that the pricing of surgical services is at the top of the list of problems in our dysfunctional healthcare system. Bureaucracy at the insurance and hospital levels, cost shifting and the absence of free market principles are among the culprits for what has caused surgical care in the United States to be cost prohibitive. As more and more patients find themselves paying more and more out of pocket, it is clear that something must change. We believe that a very different approach is necessary, one involving transparent and direct pricing...

A friend who is in the pharma biz told me of a small hospital in 'Jersey that has lost much of its senior staff.  They resigned and formed a group cash and carry practice.  Seems to be a trend.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 11:37:32 PM by ND Martin »

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 06:08:53 AM »
I'm seriously thinking of giving up hospital based emergency medicine (which is not only subject to medicare, but EMTALA) and finishing my career in either urgent care or family medicine, cash and carry....

I hope that the 47% who don't pay, and the 8 million white males who didn't vote, are happy with their personal outcomes.  Frankly I don't give a damn any more.
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline Langenator

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 08:47:51 AM »
Along with Gravity, one law that can never be repealed is the Law of Unintended Consequences.

Although sometimes I wonder if it's unintended, or if there's some evil Statist mastermind behind it who intended what's happening, since the 'unforeseen complications' (as Instapundit would say, "Unexpectedly!), or at least the proposed solutions, always seem to lead to more state control.

Like the ObamaCare requirement to offer health insurance for all full time workers, defined as employees who work more than 30 hours a week.  Thus leading large numbers of employees having their hours cut to stay under the 30 hour threshold.

Those folks are thus forced into either a .gov 'exchange' or onto MediCaid.  As more and more do this, it will drive the logic (to the Left) that the .gov should just take things over completely, single-payer style.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 09:42:15 AM »
Another Instapundit maxim:  They'll make beggars of us all, because beggars are easier to control.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Ken

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 02:33:14 PM »
Hmmmm.  I never really thought of it, but the Cash Clinics that have popped up ARE an "underground" economy.  The pricing of much of their services are so low, as to make it not worth while to put some things on your healthcare plan, as it's likely cheaper than the co-pay.

Then many of the Doctors are going concierge.  Makes sense.
Arthur C. Clarke

Offline TsMom

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 09:12:31 AM »
My husband took our son to the pediatrician yesterday.  There was a notice that the pediatrician (who we love so very much) would not be taking any new patients.  He's still a fairly young man, so I am sure he is not preparing for retirement.  The good thing is that he is still willing to take new siblings.  My husband and I are expecting our second child, as well as in the process of adopting a child from DHS.  Yes, our little three person family is going to change a lot next year.  :-)

On another note, my own doctor went on a very conservative rant while he was examining me a couple of days after the election.  I already loved him, but now I love him even more.

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 10:16:15 AM »
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline Langenator

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 11:08:55 AM »
I just saw that chart on Insty...without reading the ZeroHedge post,  it reminded me of this post from Silicon Greybeard, which I'm going to assume makes a very similar point.

I drilled down in to some of the numbers SG uses, and how well various welfare programs 'pay' is crazy.  They use foodstamp numbers for Mississippi, which by my math came out to $5.76 per person per day, which works out to a few cents less than $121 per week for the hypothetical single parent family of 3.

Now, $120 a week is roughly what I spend for my family of 6, and that includes my beer money and lunch out every Monday, plus the wife going to Starbucks a couple of times.

But the absurd spending really goes off the charts with the school lunch program.  (Nevermind the basic absurdity of giving free lunch to kids whose family already qualifies for food stamps, which are extremely generous.  I guess expecting them to use their food stamps for a PB&J lunch is too much.)  $1800 a month for the two kids in that family.  That's $900 per kid per month.  $900  For two meals a day on weekdays.  Even if the month has the max number of weekdays (averaging for between a 30 day and 31 day month is 25 meals), that comes out to $36 PER MEAL.

If I give my kids lunch money, they have to pay $2.10 for lunch.  But apparently the school lunch program kids are being bussed to Ruth's Kris or something.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815