Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Thoughts on some rarely mentioned items for your BOB  (Read 3368 times)

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
Thoughts on some rarely mentioned items for your BOB
« on: November 24, 2012, 03:34:09 PM »
Based on my recent sojourn into the Belly of the Beast area affected by Hurricane Sandy, here are some thoughts on items that should be considered for a BOB.  As little as we might want to think about it, we may well wind up in a shelter of some sort, if only temporarily, and that inspired many of these:
  • 1-quart zipper-seal bags.
  • Roll(s) toilet paper--collapse core, stuff into above
  • Trash can liner(s) (garbage/trash bag)
  • Waste basket liner (small trash bag)
  • Shower shoes. AKA flip-flops, or (in Hawaii) "slippahs". Get a sturdy pair, not the lightweight kind suitable for the beach, and certainly not fashion flipflops!
  • Anti-fungal ointment--alas, the shower shoes aren't infallible...
  • Rechargeable batteries, w/charger*--make every attempt to standardize on no more than two sizes of battery. (preferably AA or AAA)
  • Charger for each electronic item**--by this time micro USB & 30 pin (iphone and some Android tablets) are standard.
  • Travel surge protector***--if there's power in whatever shelter you're in, you may need to share.
  • Travel, AKA Pack towel(s). I bought an extra large and a mini from REI, which are similar to the Sea to Summit numbers at that link.  They're heavier than many, but work great, and dry overnight.
  • Small shovel/trowel.  Among other uses, you might decide you wish to cache something before entering the shelter, in case they get picky about items you bring with you.  Yeah, I know, "In that case I won't go." Easy to say now.  Just sayin'...

*A solar charger might be a handy addition, depending on the size and weight.  I assume here that when depending on one's BOB and taking refuge in a shelter, one will be on foot.
**Get a spare charger for each electronic item and keep them in the BOB.  I use an Eagle Creek Packing Cubes to organize chargers and other electronic accessories.
***Such as Belkin Mini Surge Protector Dual USB Charger, Mediabridge Portable Surge Protector with High Output USB Charger, or Amazon.com: Monster Outlets To Go MP OTG300 LTOP 300 for Laptops 3 Outlets, 2 USB.  These all have 3 AC outlets, and 2 USB ports.  You might want to add something like these: Ziotek ZT1212518 Power Strip Liberator Plus with Pass Through, 5-Pack.
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline pinkpower

Re: Thoughts on some rarely mentioned items for your BOB
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 09:03:49 AM »
Very interesting info, thanks!

I'm also interested to know what items you used the most from your BOB or what you wish you would've had in it.

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 03:29:13 PM »
Every time I took a shower I wished I had a spray bottle full of a bleach solution...  :-[

I added a travel pillow and a light weight "travel throw" or "lap blanket"--the pillow got used more than the throw, the quarters they housed us in were pretty warm.  (Uncomfortably so, some nights.)

Some used a sleep mask; some shelters have lights on all night, or you may be trying to sleep during the day.

The areas we were working in were hell on cell phone connectivity, you may be aware that areas with weak or no service can actually drain your battery faster than when you are connected, as the phone seeks a signal.  Everyone was charging their company and personal phones every night.
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 05:43:33 PM »
I didn't see them on the list, but if you're trying to sleep in a big gym or someplace similar with lots of other people, ear plugs can be quite helpful, in addition to the aforementioned sleep mask if they keep the lights on all the time.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline oldguy52

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 08:49:14 PM »
I didn't see them on the list, but if you're trying to sleep in a big gym or someplace similar with lots of other people, ear plugs can be quite helpful, in addition to the aforementioned sleep mask if they keep the lights on all the time.

I might just be a little cranky, but if I'm trying to sleep in a strange place surrounded by a bunch of people I don't know, the last thing I'm going to do is deaden my hearing.

Right or wrong, in a situation like that I need to be aware of what is going on around me. Other's mileage may vary.
O.G.

"Stupid is supposed to be painful, it's nature's way of learnin' ya" - Me, 1994

When one finds himself living in interesting times, it is prudent to become as uninteresting as possible.... Me, 2011

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 03:49:01 PM »
I might just be a little cranky, but if I'm trying to sleep in a strange place surrounded by a bunch of people I don't know, the last thing I'm going to do is deaden my hearing.

Right or wrong, in a situation like that I need to be aware of what is going on around me. Other's mileage may vary.
Related:  Why I don't own an ipod...
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 04:53:55 PM »
All my experience sleeping in giant tents filled with cots/bunks was in situations where we were all wearing matching outfits...YMMV.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 04:58:22 PM »
All my experience sleeping in giant tents filled with cots/bunks was in situations where we were all wearing matching outfits...YMMV.

And if the guys in the next bunk were too loud, a little manual adjustment would work wonders.
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 05:45:26 PM »
And usually most are tired enough to sleep anyway.
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 07:56:28 PM »
And usually most are tired enough to sleep anyway.

Well, transit points like Ali al-Saleem and Manas have folks coming and going at all hours, tired or not.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline Suburban

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 09:45:52 AM »
Related:  Why I don't own an ipod...

I agree you do not want to walk around in condition White all day wearing an iPod.

However, I consider an iPod Touch to be a valuable part of my Every Day Carry.  Why?  Because it is a pocket sized device that I can use to get on any WiFi hotspot and access email and the Web.  I have dozens of books on it.  I have all my important data I would never want to lose 256 bit encrypted in eWallet on it.  I can use it to access the huge amount of important to me info stored in my DropBox.

Yes, I can also do all this with my iPhone, but what if the iPhone battery is dead?  Two is one, and one is none.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
Agreed, and I do need to dig out my iPod and load it up.  It's just sitting in my car console full of music I never listen to any more. 
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 02:59:43 PM »
However, I consider an iPod Touch to be a valuable part of my Every Day Carry. 
I would make an exception for an iPod Touch or it's Android equivalent, for the reasons you list.
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 06:00:56 PM »
Something else I had, but forgot to mention: Tide Sink Packets

UPDATE:  An alternative: Lewis N. Clark Laundry Kit, White

Another: Travelon Laundry Soap Sheets, 50-Count

Being able to have clean socks and unmentionables can be an incredible boost to morale.

There were rumors that Tide was going to bring in it's laundry trailers like it did after Katrina, but as of the end of my deployment, they were a no-show.

Of course, everyone seemed to expect FEMA to produce the damned things.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 02:12:31 PM by Bill Quick »
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 06:36:32 PM »
Or I just carry a small (4oz) bottle of a generic cleaner product (Amway LOC in my case) in my toiletries, just in case something needs laundering.  Or a small bottle of CampSuds, dishwashing liquid or liquid laundry detergent. 
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline oldguy52

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 09:43:29 PM »
When the going gets tough at my house Dawn dishwashing soap is my answer for cleaning whatever needs cleaning. It seems to do an acceptable job at most everything.
O.G.

When one finds himself living in interesting times, it is prudent to become as uninteresting as possible.... Me, 2011

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 10:59:16 PM »
Don't forget about dental hygiene.  Toothbrush, toothpaste (or baking soda), floss, temp cement for crowns and other repair.  And one of the most versatile items--Ambesol/Oragel (or generic) is simply benzocaine in high concentration.  It can be used as a topical anesthetic for pain other than toothache. 

My wife works for a dentist, so we have cases of toothbrushes (dentists buy 'em as give-aways--used to be free from mfrs as samples) and those little sample tubes of toothpaste inventoried as barter/trade merchandise.

Offline Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 02:10:45 PM »
My wife works for a dentist, so we have cases of toothbrushes (dentists buy 'em as give-aways--used to be free from mfrs as samples) and those little sample tubes of toothpaste inventoried as barter/trade merchandise.

Do you happen to know the expected shelf life of toothpaste?
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

"While we have the opportunity, let us do good to all." Galatians 6:10

BonniesBooks.net

Offline Langenator

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 02:47:29 PM »

My wife has amassed a massive supply of oral hygiene stuff - brushes, paste, floss - using coupon deals.  She's accumulated so much that she actually stopped getting more.  We've probably got at least a 2 year supply for our family.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 03:42:43 PM »
When the going gets tough at my house Dawn dishwashing soap is my answer for cleaning whatever needs cleaning. It seems to do an acceptable job at most everything.
Don't forget about dental hygiene.  Toothbrush, toothpaste (or baking soda), floss, temp cement for crowns and other repair.  And one of the most versatile items--Ambesol/Oragel (or generic) is simply benzocaine in high concentration.  It can be used as a topical anesthetic for pain other than toothache.  

Good points all, but the purpose of this thread was to suggest a few things that folks might otherwise not think about when putting their BOB together.

That said, the BOB should have hygiene/toiletries in it full time, as opposed to "I'll grab them as I leave the house." 

And if you wish to keep a bottle of dish soap in your BOB, well, it's your bag...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 03:45:29 PM by Drang »
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline oldguy52

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 06:24:32 PM »
Good points all, but the purpose of this thread was to suggest a few things that folks might otherwise not think about when putting their BOB together.

That said, the BOB should have hygiene/toiletries in it full time, as opposed to "I'll grab them as I leave the house." 

And if you wish to keep a bottle of dish soap in your BOB, well, it's your bag...

Thought it was you who brought up laundry soap.

It is my bag and I do keep Dawn dishwashing detergent in it all the time. It's as good a hand cleaner as you'll find and it'll do a passable job on your socks and unmentionables if need be. I'll wash my clothes with Dawn, but I won't wash my body with laundry detergent.  Since in the interest of keeping it simple and light I only carry one kind, it needs to be the one I can use for everything. If it was handy Doc's L.O.C. or Shaklee basic H would be just fine too.

BTW: If anyone hasn't tried Dawn as a hand cleaner around the shop, I recommend it highly. It's inexpensive and works as well or better than any of the commercial hand cleaners priced at two or three times as much.
O.G.

Offline Mr. Bingley

• The Coalition of the Swilling
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 06:24:58 PM »
There were rumors that Tide was going to bring in it's laundry trailers like it did after Katrina, but as of the end of my deployment, they were a no-show.

my wife saw one in Long Branch. she came home and said she knew then we'd really had a disaster.

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 09:18:08 PM »
Thought it was you who brought up laundry soap.
I did.  That was in response to oral hygiene items. 

Once deployed, I picked up some pod-style laundry detergent, since I would have access to washing machine in our quarters, and the pods would travel better--and share among the team easier--than a box or bottle of regular laundry soap.
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 11:30:47 PM »
Toothpaste shelf life is about 2 years, depending on the brand and how it's stored of course.