Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Large corporations hate competition  (Read 366 times)

Offline Haverwilde

Re: Large corporations hate competition
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
The enemy of freedom is BIG!
Big Government,
Big Military
Big Corporations
Big Unions
Big Medicine
Big Science
Big Media,
Hell, even Big Unicorn Farts are dangerous.  ;D

The answer is.......... small.

Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!

Offline Paul

Offline Haverwilde

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 12:17:06 AM »
Great stuff Paul.

Big Electric Corp is worried so they talk to Big Government, to stop the small guy from producing electiricity, because they don't want to have to control the spikes that might damage computers (substitute the Electric Corps bottom line for computers and I think you will get the truth).   ::)

Too bad I can't hook up something like that here (but we get more rain than sunshine).

Offline Langenator

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 08:48:56 AM »
Well, it's not just Big...all established businesses hate competition.

Why do many cities limit the number of taxis allowed?  Because the existing companies don't want competition.
Why do many states require 1500 hours of beauty school instruction (at least, that was WA's standard) before someone is allowed to simply braid hair? Existing beauty parlors don't want competition
Why did the tattoo/piercing people in WA try to get the state the implement a licensing scheme (when there was already a perfectly adequate set of hygiene standards)?  To create a barrier to competition.
Why do some states require licensing for such occupations as interior decorators and florists?

I think you get the picture.  Existing business interests, large or small, have a profound tendency to, when possible, get the government to do the dirty work of keeping competitors out of the market.  This is usually done in the name of "public health/safety" or insuring "product quality"
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Haverwilde

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 10:49:19 AM »
Langenator,
Hmm, I think there is a difference between hurdles and barriers.
Standards, even arbitrary ones, slow down entrance to an enterprise; they don’t bar one from entry. Chaos in an industry doesn’t help anyone; healthy competition on the other hand is good for the entire industry. So I think some of your examples actually are healthy—others not so much.
My primary point was that BIG, in and of itself, automatically brings problems.