Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: How we entertain ourselves in PA  (Read 3390 times)

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
How we entertain ourselves in PA
« on: November 23, 2012, 12:55:02 PM »
The Great Pumpkin Drop

I'm not sure how this tradition started...but it's rather unique.  Below our house, there is a tiny quaint village.  It is a very beautiful place.  The village sits along a peacefull river that makes a complete "u turn" around the land.

There is a bridge that crosses over the river to the village.  This is the starting point of the Great Pumpkin Drop

Everyone saves their Halloween Pumpkin for Thanksgiving Day.  They are starting to get pretty rotten by now...hahahah!

During Church, the starting time was announced.  Be at the bridge at 3:30.  My family was one of the first ones there..but shortly before 3:30, the participants starting coming down the hill from the village, each carrying their pumpkin.  The participants range from infant to 104 years old...totaling about 50 people

Even a local dog, wearing his best fall bandanna came!  Who wants to miss all the excitement?

Everyone takes their pumpkin and lines them up on the side of the bridge.  There were all sizes of pumpkins and squash!

Here is my husband with our "spaghetti squash" for we didn't exactly have any pumpkins to spare.  These were extras that were old.

Then the designated counter, counts to 3.  On 3, you throw your pumpkin into the river.  Then everyone races to the other side of the bridge to see who's pumpkin is out in front.  Then the winner is declared!

If you look to the middle left of the pumpkin mass, you will see my our spaghetti squash...sadly we didn't win.

This was my nephew in laws first time at participating...my husband told him that this was hillbilly entertainment!  I asked my husband if he thought we should addition for that disgusting Honey Boo Boo show....hahahahahah!

Now the race is over, the river fish are fed and we all go back home, with hopes of winning the Great Pumpkin Drop Race next year!  hahahahahah!

Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
Re: How we entertain ourselves in PA
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 06:09:35 PM »
oops, I forgot a pic...and it's too late to modify...

Here goes our spaghetti squash with the pumpkins

Offline Langenator

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 09:00:23 AM »
I'm amazed that carved pumpkin hadn't already turned into a puddle of moldy slime...
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 02:47:48 PM »
I think the cooler temperatures help to keep them.  The carved ones came in garbage bag lined boxes...hahahha!

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 03:03:29 PM »
That's an interesting variant of poohsticks....  8)
American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere....

Your Ad Here - Email for Info
Help Support E-P.com
Even A Buck Makes A Difference!
Or Make Convenient Monthly
Donations By Selecting
A Payment Option
Payment Options