Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: rats..  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
rats..
« on: November 20, 2012, 06:39:58 PM »
So I read this story over on another forum....

This guy was telling his experience about living in a yurt...and how a rat kept bothering them.
He told of how the rat ate an entire box of Decon...and it didn't kill him...the rat returned the next night....

hahahahah!  Some of you know where I going with this...

I was hoping someone would tell him that he has more than one rat...Decon KILLs Rats...very quickly...and usually you will see a very sick rat...

But ironically, no one told the poor guy...so he is just going to go on thinking that he has this invincible Rat...hahahah!

My husband and I were caretakers for a farmer when we were young....and this farmer had chickens but he was careless with his feed.  The farm became infested with rats....they tunneled underneath the chicken coop until I thought the coop was going to collapse. 
The neighboring farm was a huge chicken farm..and the rats were there also....hundreds and hundreds of rats...and they scurried here and there and squeaked.  For sport, the local teens would come to the farms to shoot rats with there 22's...I still remember one boy had one run up his pant legs...

To this day, I have a severe hatrid of rats...that probably is why I have cats!  The adult rats are too large for them to kill, but they get the babies, thus preventing them from populating.

You really must take precautions in preventing Rats on your homestead.  Keep grains in bins that are chew proof  (an old refrigerator works well, but you must make it childproof by removing the locks and handles if you have children around.)  And at the first sight of a rat, you must set out poison.   Once you get too many rats,  only a few will eat the poison, and they will eat it all up and there will be no poison left for the other rats...and you will be fighting an uphill battle, because rats produce very quickly.
 We set traps when we were caretakers, but the traps would disappear with the rats...the traps were not big enough.

We never were able to eradicate them from the farm and the neighboring farm that was infested, didn't care...so it was futile for us to even try.  I couldn't take it, so we moved!   hahahah! 
Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
Re: rats..
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 06:58:46 PM »
So I read this story over on another forum....

This guy was telling his experience about living in a yurt...and how a rat kept bothering them.
He told of how the rat ate an entire box of Decon...and it didn't kill him...the rat returned the next night....

So, did he name the rodent Ratsputin?  :D
American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere....

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 11:51:28 PM »
I'm not sure many will get the reference immediately, but it's pretty funny - for a weird metric of funny.

Shoot him, stab him, poison him, drown him, and he keeps right on running.  He's the Energizer Villain!
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline pinkpower

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 05:41:40 AM »
I'm not sure many will get the reference immediately, but it's pretty funny - for a weird metric of funny.

Shoot him, stab him, poison him, drown him, and he keeps right on running.  He's the Energizer Villain!

LOL!!! Now I've got one of the greatest mental pictures ever lol. That's hilarious.

Poor dude lol.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 09:17:21 AM »
I remember my dad talking about how he'd go to the dump with his friends to shoot rats with their .22s.

Believe it or not, that was Redwood City, CA, as recently as the 1950s.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline cd

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 09:48:49 AM »
I remember my dad talking about how he'd go to the dump with his friends to shoot rats with their .22s.

^ That is the reason my father won't use a handgun. He was hunting rats in a dump and one ran between his legs. He jumped up and shot down, missed. When he got home, he found a bullet hole in his pants.  :o

He also recommends not shooting something you hate, emotion trumps reason.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 10:34:18 AM »
Probably accounts for your fondness for shotguns, eh?  ;D

Although think of the damage....  :o
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline xtron

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 04:03:40 PM »
i had a squirrel, nothing more thaan a rat with a fur coat and bushy tail, invade my basement...it tool 3 boxes of decon to kill it.
true, rats are too big for cats to kill...but my rat terriers were originally bred for just that purpose...i have 2...they also keep rabbits, moles, voles, chipmunks and pocket gophers out of the garden,  the cat..meh...she keeps birds out of the berry patch..oh...and snakes out of everywhere..the dogs are afraid of snakes for some reason..

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 06:35:07 PM »
xtron...in one house we lived in, we also had a squirrel problem...I also tried decon on them, but they didn't seem to die...and then an this wisened old guy told me this...he said that squirrels will take the bait and store it somewhere else...like they do acorns and other nuts....that' why its' harder to kill squirrels with decon, because they store more than they eat...but rats just plain out eat it.  I don't know if its true, but it sounded good

He told us to switch to a sticky thing that held the squirrel fast if they stepped on it...then you had the pleasant duty of killing a live animal stuck on a sticky trap....I didn't like that either!  But it did work...

My best thing that works both on rats and squirrels, plus mice and chipmunks is my cat...although I'm sure your terriers work just as well!

Offline cd

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 07:46:09 PM »
Probably accounts for your fondness for shotguns, eh?  ;D
Not entirely, but it is more difficult to shoot yourself with a shotgun.

Though I saw a guy nearly do it once. We were shooting skeet on my friend's father's farm. Young eager, but inexperienced, young man with 12ga semi-auto shotgun. I was about 10 feet away. He forgot to place the gun on safe. Let the forearm drop from his left hand such that he only held the gun in his right hand. The drop of fore end of the gun weight shifted the gun forward and down. His finger was in the trigger guard. Missed his foot by about 6 inches. :o

I told my friend if that guy was ever invited again, let me know, as I wouldn't attend.

Quote from: Bill Quick
Although think of the damage....  :o
I nearly got to see it. I would hate to be in the same zip code as that fool if he had a handgun.

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 08:22:45 PM »
Not entirely, but it is more difficult to shoot yourself with a shotgun.

Though I saw a guy nearly do it once. We were shooting skeet on my friend's father's farm. Young eager, but inexperienced, young man with 12ga semi-auto shotgun. I was about 10 feet away. He forgot to place the gun on safe. Let the forearm drop from his left hand such that he only held the gun in his right hand. The drop of fore end of the gun weight shifted the gun forward and down. His finger was in the trigger guard. Missed his foot by about 6 inches. :o

I told my friend if that guy was ever invited again, let me know, as I wouldn't attend.
I nearly got to see it. I would hate to be in the same zip code as that fool if he had a handgun.

*paging* Cleanup, Aisle One, human waste, BIOHAZARD protocols.

*paging* Jeff Cooper, Aisle One, Rule Three retraining.
American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere....

Offline Echo Alpha

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 09:59:45 AM »
  my wolves regard all members of the rodent family as snack food so squirrels are the only ones I have to actually lend an assist via .22 since the squirrel will taunt the wolves from a tree branch. Snakes worry me since the wolves tear into them when detected regardless of venom.  A nice side affect is that coyotes give a very wide berth to the area my pack marks.  If you were wondering I cannot allow the wolves off leash outside the fenced area because they are wanderers.

Offline pinkpower

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 08:57:12 AM »
Where I used to live I was surrounded by a lot of trees & woods. It was beautiful and peaceful until the owner decided to have it clear cut.
That's when the rats & mice decided to invade my home. EEK!!

I tried everything to get rid of them, to no avail.
My friends came over with their .22s and we would shoot them as they stuck their heads out of the holes they made lol. It was like a game lol.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 02:58:55 PM »
" width="500" height="357

Offline Paul

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 02:27:25 PM »
I guess it is time to tell my rat story.

About ten years ago or so my wife said she saw a huge rat that ran under the stairs when she was down in the basement.  I hadn't seen any sign of rats but there was a large hole under the steps and my wife swore that whenever the dog started digging at the door, if you opened it quick, you would see the filthy animal dive back under the stairs.

After listening to the complaints for a week or more, I decided to see for myself whatever it was in the cellar and put an end to the problem.  Armed with a 22 pistol and a cup of coffee, I sat in the kitchen until the dog indicated our tenant was out and about.  While Sue held the dog, I whipped open the door, saw a large gray blur headed for the stairs, snapped off one quick shot and nailed our old tiger cat in the top of the head, squarely between her ears.
Oh, and the "monster rat"?   Well that turned out to be an average size possum that was wintering over in the crawl space and had been periodically coming into the basement, apparently  to warm up.

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 08:21:31 PM »
did you graze your cat or kill it?

Offline Paul

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 10:46:02 PM »
In answer to your question, she crossed the rainbow bridge.   I only graze serial killers and would be assassins.

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2012, 08:04:52 AM »
awww....I feel bad, I know you didn't mean to do it....I would be mortified if I accidently killed my pet...