Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: National Ammo Day/Week 2012  (Read 976 times)

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
National Ammo Day/Week 2012
« on: November 18, 2012, 06:06:35 PM »
While National Ammo Day (NAD) is tomorrow (19 November 2012), the good folks who run the linked Web site understand that not everyone can manage to buy ammo on that exact date.  That's why, in their wisdom, they declare the week beginning the Saturday before NAD through the Saturday after NAD to be National Ammo Week. 8)

My plan is to purchase at least some ammo every day of National Ammo Week (assuming I can find an ammo dealer open on Thanksgiving Day; perhaps I'll just order online on Thanksgiving Day).  So far, I've made the following purchases:

* Day 1 (Saturday, 17 November 2012): One box of HPR 60-grain Hornady V-MAX™ .223 Remington cartridges (50 rounds)

* Day 2 (Sunday, 18 November 2012): One box of Bitterroot Valley 124-grain JHP 9mm cartridges (50 rounds); two boxes of Remington 125-grain OTM 300 AAC Blackout cartridges (20 rounds/box)

I've already exceeded their 100-rounds goal, with six days left in National Ammo Week.  ;D  My goal is to purchase rounds for every caliber I own.  Naturally, I'll post updates to this thread daily.

As an aside, you may have noticed that I included no links to any of the ammo I mentioned.  Since I've had at least one link-heavy post in the past fail to post  ??? , I'll add the links as comments on this thread.
American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere....

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
Re: National Ammo Day/Week 2012
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 10:54:55 PM »
Here are links to the ammo mentioned above:

* HPR's 60-grain Hornady V-MAX™ .223 Remington cartridge

* Bitterroot Valley Ammunition (unfortunately, their Web site doesn't include specifics on their 9mm 124-grain JHP cartridge; fortunately, I have successfully test-fired several magazines of this ammo through both of my 9mm pistols, though I still need to test-fire this ammo through my Beretta Cx4 Storm carbine)

* Remington's 125-grain Premier Match 300 AAC Blackout cartridge (for whatever reason, Remington's Web site does not yet list this cartridge, so I linked to MidwayUSA's Web page on the cartridge)
American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere....

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
National Ammo Day/Week 2012: 19 November Purchase
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 06:54:55 PM »
I was hoping to find some 7.62x54mmR ammo that wasn't milsurp, but no joy today.  Here's what I bought just now from my local gun shop:

* One box of Independence 9mm 124-grain FMJ cartridges (50 rounds)

I couldn't find a Web site for the Independence brand, but the brass is headstamped Blazer.  Since the cases aren't aluminum, I suspect that Independence is/was another name for the Blazer Brass line of cartridges.

Ah, well.  I'll try to find some non-corrosive 7.62x54mmR rounds on Wednesday....

ETA:  Total ammunition purchased so far: 190 rounds (and I haven't yet resorted to the .22LR method of adding to my numbers...  8) )
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 07:46:07 PM by AuricTech »

Offline Mr. Bingley

• The Coalition of the Swilling
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 06:57:36 PM »
I just keep the ammonia handy, Auric :)

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 08:00:27 PM »
I just keep the ammonia handy, Auric :)

If I must also do so to keep my Mosin-Nagant happy, I will.  That being said, I would rather not have to deal with an issue that only applies to one of my firearms, unless there's no other choice.  Right now, those of us who are willing to pay more for new-production 7.62x54mmR ammo have other choices; I believe that, when possible, we ought to choose non-corrosive ammo.  As always, your mileage may vary....  ;)

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
National Ammo Day/Week 2012: 20 November Puchase
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 07:05:54 PM »
Today, I just picked up one 20-round box of Winchester White Box 7.62 x 54R 180-grain jacketed soft point ammo* from the local PX.  Since they didn't even sell firearms or ammo last year, it seemed a good place to buy some.

210 rounds so far, with half of National Ammo Week left to go....  ;D

*The spacing in how I typed the caliber is deliberate; without the spacing in the drop-down for caliber, the Web page leads you to the FMJ ammo.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 11:48:52 PM »
I can't shop every day, but I did order another 2000 rounds of .22 from my FFL in South City.  (You can't legally get ammo by mail in SF until the court wrangling gets done with....)
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Langenator

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 09:21:32 AM »
After the court case saying states (and thus by extension cities) can't bar mail/web order wine, that case would be a slam dunk.

Congress gets to regulate interstate commerce.  In this case, it's actually legit, not some Wickard-ian distortion.

I need to get to Academy tonight or Friday.  Got a new semi-auto shotgun to play 3-gun with, which means I need to buy a bunch of boxes of ammo to figure out what she likes.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline 9thInfDivRvrRat

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 09:21:11 PM »
Does FTF acquisition of 50 rounds of .41 rimfire count? I know it aint' the same as ordering ammo online, but isn't most rimfire exempt from California restrictions? I'd sure hate to run afoul of the laws of the Golden State.
Anyway, I still have a few days left this week to pick up some 12 gauge for the ol' coach gun. It'll shoot 3 inch shells, but I ain't picky, 2-3/4 should do just fine.
Used to be anotherone.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 10:22:17 PM »
I just bought 125 rounds of 12 ga birdshot.  Need to figure out what my new shotgun likes.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 11:57:25 PM »
I know it aint' the same as ordering ammo online, but isn't most rimfire exempt from California restrictions? I'd sure hate to run afoul of the laws of the Golden State.
Most online ammo shops aren't interested in figuring out the finer points of San Francisco gun/ammo laws.  They just tell everybody in the city to eff off.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 12:00:47 AM by Bill Quick »
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
National Ammo Day/Week 2012: Purchases on 21 and 23 November
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 02:19:42 PM »
As I neither updated on 21 November 2012 nor purchased ammo on 22 November 2012 (by the time stores opened on Thanksgiving, I was about ready to call it a night), here's what I've purchased since last I posted on this topic:

* 21 November 2012: Two boxes of Federal Power-Shok .308 Winchester 150-grain jacketed soft point ammo from Wal-Mart (20 rounds/box), which brought me to a total of 250 rounds for National Ammo Week

* 23 November 2012: One box of Remington .22LR Subsonic ammo (50 rounds); one box of Winchester 36-grain hollow-point .22LR ammo (333 rounds); one box of Winchester 20-gauge #6 steel shot shells (25 rounds); two boxes of Winchester Super X 3/4 oz. 20-gauge shotgun slugs (5 rounds/box) (all from Wal-Mart)

That brings me to a total of 285 rounds of centerfire ammo, plus 383 rounds of .22LR rimfire ammo, with one day left in National Ammo Week.  GO ME!  :D

Offline Langenator

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 04:11:55 PM »
I ran it to 150 rounds of 12 ga thus far...once I got test fire tomorrow (and get the expected round count for Sunday's match) I'll probably add another 50-100 to that.

Luckily, 12 ga target loads are relatively cheap.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline mike40-11

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 04:16:38 AM »
Got an announcement of upcoming price increase on Berry's bullets so I ordered 3000 9mm on the 16th.  Showed up on the 19th.  My wife always complains when she tries to pick up the deceptively small box they're delivered in. ;D

Love reloading.  Add primers and powder and those will turn into ammo for about 12 cents apiece.