Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: looking to buy property; marsh positive? negative?  (Read 902 times)

Offline cornopean

looking to buy property; marsh positive? negative?
« on: November 17, 2012, 05:14:58 PM »
I am new to prepping.  I currently teach Hebrew/Greek at a theological seminary so I'm as green as grass even when it comes to basic survival skills.  I can read the writing on the wall tho.  I want to move my family to 12 acres in the country.  about one third of the land is marsh.  Is this a plus or minus in terms of living off the land?

Offline cornopean

Re: looking to buy property; marsh positive? negative?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 05:22:17 PM »

Here is the pic from google.  the circled part is marsh. 

Offline TorontoGrl

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 05:55:59 PM »
A lot of edible plants naturally grow in marshes, if you ever need culinary variety, living by a marsh is a plus at least in my eyes, as long as you can have decent amount of planting soil in other areas of your property :)

Offline ColoConsrvCowboy

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 06:12:49 PM »
Where I'm looking for land, any amount of water would be welcome. Even the few streams that cross some of the plots I've been looking at are seasonal, and most of the year they're dry.

When the SHTF, you'd probably be able to ignore any wetlands regulations and look at reclaiming some of that land for rich farmland, and turn the water source -- a stream? -- into a more useful irrigation or power (microhydro) source. Just don't try that while the EPA is still around...

Frank

Offline cornopean

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 07:12:44 PM »
I don't think there is any stream but....it must be fed by something.  Like I said, I haven't purchased it yet, but I am pretty excited about this.  I contacted my realtor....we'll see what comes of it.

Offline TorontoGrl

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 07:17:34 PM »
Take a walk around the marsh and check for frogs, if you have frogs, that's another easy food source... one thing though, you'll have a lot more mosquitos than anyone else

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 08:25:49 PM »
Marshes may shelter frogs, turtles, various snakes, and other amphibians, all edible.  There are a lot of food sources there (or can be cultivated there) as well, everything from cat tails to cranberries to wild rice.  On top of it, marshes are very attractive to birds, in case you'd like to add some duck or goose to your diet.  I'd view it as a net plus, given the amount of land you're talking about.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Langenator

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 09:25:56 AM »
The Aztecs used to do pretty well growing crops (the famous 3 Sisters of N. American crops - maize, beans, squash) in a swamp/marsh environment.  I don't think it looked like 'natural' marshland while they were growing, though.

I don't have my Anthropology notes handy to look up the name for it.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline cd

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 10:37:29 AM »
A couple of questions:

1. What general area of the country is this?

2. Can you post a topo map from Google maps? (I've been looking too, and spend more time looking at topo than satellite maps.) Looks to me like there is a creek running east to west near the bottom of your circled area.

3. Water is good. Depending on the area, mosquitoes and raccoons would be implied. If you intend to raise chickens, raccoon defenses would have to be substantial. Trapping might be interesting...

4. Aside. Interesting on the Greek & Hebrew, I've dabbled a bit, helped for instance on a recently published NT Greek Analytical...

And ... welcome. Nice place Bill has here...

Offline Dale00

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 08:09:38 PM »
There are a couple of negatives.

Marshes are wetlands, which are the object of special laws. The "dry" portion of the property may also be classified as a wetlands - if so you might be severely restricted or totally prohibited from any building or other modifications. For starters see http://water.epa.gov/lawsregs/lawsguidance/cwa/wetlands/laws_index.cfm (scroll down to bottom of page)

Secondly, flat areas adjacent to water are usually prone to flooding. Check the flood plain maps for the area.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 08:11:25 PM by Dale00 »
"Test everything. Hold onto the good." 1 Thes 5:21

Offline cornopean

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 07:18:16 AM »
A couple of questions:

1. What general area of the country is this?
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=12958+Sparta+Ave,+Sparta,+MI&hl=en&sll=45.00109,-86.270553&sspn=10.144965,26.784668&oq=12958&hnear=12958+Sparta+Ave,+Sparta,+Michigan+49345&t=m&z=16

4. Aside. Interesting on the Greek & Hebrew, I've dabbled a bit, helped for instance on a recently published NT Greek Analytical...
my courses are online for free.  
greek  https://canvas.instructure.com/courses/772364
hebrew   https://canvas.instructure.com/courses/772186

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 11:32:28 AM »
There are a couple of negatives.

Marshes are wetlands, which are the object of special laws. The "dry" portion of the property may also be classified as a wetlands - if so you might be severely restricted or totally prohibited from any building or other modifications. For starters see http://water.epa.gov/lawsregs/lawsguidance/cwa/wetlands/laws_index.cfm (scroll down to bottom of page)

Secondly, flat areas adjacent to water are usually prone to flooding. Check the flood plain maps for the area.
This.  I should have mentioned it.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Haverwilde

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 12:01:46 PM »
Mosquitoes and their diseases would be the big negative for me. So I would prepare a defense for yourself if you buy--personal mosquito netting and good screens for a house/cabin.

Marshland usually covers good soil. Removing a few yards of soil for use as a raised bed garden does several things. Good soil for growing and slowly changing part of the marsh to a pond.

Onions grow well in damp soil so creating small plot on the fringes of the marsh should yield well.
Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!

Offline cd

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 12:17:25 PM »
Ummm... borderline TMI. :o If it were me, I'd edit that post and remove the property specific info. I wouldn't want my location posted on the internet. "Somewhere in Michigan" would've been just fine.  ;)

I did take a look at the Terrain under Google. There really isn't any, nigh unto flat as a board. No hope of microhydro there.

I can't tell from the satellite pics, (tried Google, Bing, Yahoo and MapQuest) but it sure looks like a stream bed there that probably joins a stream on the north and west borders, goes west under the road and joins a that creek on the property W and NW of that one.

That's my observations off the top of my head.

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 12:25:59 PM »
2. Can you post a topo map from Google maps? (I've been looking too, and spend more time looking at topo than satellite maps.) Looks to me like there is a creek running east to west near the bottom of your circled area.

Here's a link to a topo map of the area.  There's no east-west creek bed indicated on the topo map, but there is a north-south intermittent stream about 600 meters east of Sparta Avenue in that area.
American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere....

Offline cornopean

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 01:05:26 PM »
No...there is no stream.  I am pretty sure that it is just a marsh.  must be spring fed or something.  I don't live there yet, so no worries about TMI.  :-[