Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Chia seeds  (Read 727 times)

Offline TorontoGrl

Chia seeds
« on: November 16, 2012, 09:22:40 AM »
This morning I bought 2kg of Chia seeds, they are highly nutritious in small amounts.  All you need is 2 teaspoons a day, soak them in a small amount of water and you have superfood..

2 teaspoons of chia seeds has way more Omega 3's than the same amount of salmon, 41% of your daily fiber, 6 times more calcium than milk, 32% of your daily magnesium, 31% fat, 16% protein, 6 times more iron than spinach, 64% more potassium than a banana, double of antioxidants than blueberries, lots of niacin and a lot more.. 
My husband runs 10-12 marathons per year and swears by this stuff, my kids eat chia seeds every day as well, I highly recommend everyone store a bag, it requires very little water.
You can also mix chia seeds into your soups, juice, milk.. very versatile and can be stored for years.

Here's a link with a bit more info:

https://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/chia-seeds-health-benefits-tips-and-recipes/

Offline ND Martin

Re: Chia seeds
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 10:59:47 AM »
Everyone knows you can sprout cha-cha-cha-chia seeds--actually a good way to eat 'em.  The plant is a salvia, so it grows very easily (like a weed), and should be part of any survival garden.  Harvesting is fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L4wJ1vadUg

Another easy-to-grow 'superfood' is amaranth.  We grow 'Golden Giant' for the seed and several other varieties for greens.

The rule in our garden is that nothing gets planted that we can't eat.  This year we planted a few fruits that are exceptionally nutritious and cost a fortune in the stores. 
Specifically, we put in schisandra, goji, jujube, honeyberry and a hybrid American chestnut that is supposed to be resistant to blight.  It'll be a long time before the latter bears, but we should begin to harvest the berries in a year or two as they're fast-growing-shrubs/vines.  Most of this stuff propagates easily. 

Offline TorontoGrl

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 11:37:13 AM »
I envy your garden, we live in a condo with no outdoor space but I will try to grow chia on our windowsill :)

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 12:49:03 PM »
Chia grows too big for windowsill plants that will have enough seed to be worthwhile.  Save your space for culinary/medicinal herbs.  BTW: Toronto is one of my fave cities.  I lived there for a brief while (40+ years ago) in an 18 story hallucination on Bloor St.

Offline TorontoGrl

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 12:57:17 PM »
Chia grows too big for windowsill plants that will have enough seed to be worthwhile.  Save your space for culinary/medicinal herbs.  BTW: Toronto is one of my fave cities.  I lived there for a brief while (40+ years ago) in an 18 story hallucination on Bloor St.

Good advice, thank you! haha @ hallucination on Bloor St :)
I love Toronto, such a good natured city