Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Not new here, but a newbie question  (Read 553 times)

Offline lpdbw

Not new here, but a newbie question
« on: November 16, 2012, 08:51:59 AM »
As a direct result of the election, I have decided our economy won't survive 4 years.  In fact, based on the election results, I no longer trust my fellow Americans to act like Americans.

So I'm getting serious.

However, my most limited resource is time.  I have spent a lifetime accumulating skills and knowledge as my primary entertainment, which is great.  My current job sucks up way too many hours, however, and I need to know shortcuts.

Specifically, I would be very grateful of you could blue-sky the following:  Given a stable rural location with housing and water, and an already sufficient supply of guns and ammunition, but currently highly dependent on electricity from the grid, what steps, and in what order, would you have to take?

I'm mostly interested in food.  I know how to garden, and I have land, so for the long term, I need seeds.  Got it.

What seeds, how many?

I may have family coming to stay.  If I'm willing to pay a fair amount, say a couple hundred a month, what storage food should I buy, and in what increments?

Links to appropriate posts here would also be appreciated.  This forum has actually gotten big enough, and spread out enough, to make some of this searching difficult.

Offline cd

Re: Not new here, but a newbie question
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 09:24:02 AM »
There are lots smarter folk than me here. If you're especially lucky, JDY will drop you a detailed list.  ;)

That said, the part that would trouble me the most is "currently highly dependent on electricity from the grid". I don't suppose you have opportunity for wind or micro-hydro? If not, I'd be looking into:

1. Radically minimizing power consumption. (LED lights, ultra-high efficient appliances, propane frid/freezers, etc.)

2. What kind of solar setup (sure hope that's an option for you) would power what's left after #1.

3. Generator for what's left after #1.

Oh, and chickens. At least for the eggs, if not meat.

That's off the top of my head.

Offline Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 01:37:11 PM »
Same as cd but I would also add rabbits. They are remarkably easy to raise & butcher. But as with chickens, you could end up - as I am - dependent on the feed store. I'm working on that. 

If you haven't had a garden where you live now, ask gardening neighbors what fruits & vegetables do well in your area. We've learned by trial & error over the past 12 years what does well in our garden (we're in a different climate than we were for the previous 40-odd years). We also stopped buying hybrid seeds, tho I haven't been too successful at saving seeds.

At our elevation we can't have fruit trees, but perennials like raspberries & rhubarb do very well. We also planted some blueberries & will be adding more in the spring.

Don't wait to the last minute to plant a garden. The soil may need to be amended with
manure or other compost & you may have bugs you aren't aware of now.

One thing I've been working on - not too successfully, I'm afraid - is finding out what is edible in the forest land that surrounds us. The knowledge that there is no supermarket in our forest is good - it keeps me nervous enough to keep canning & dehydrating food.  :)
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

"While we have the opportunity, let us do good to all." Galatians 6:10

BonniesBooks.net

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 12:47:13 AM »
Check out the very hardy trees, shrubs and vines offered by One Green World.  They're in Oregon and specialize in cold-tolerant fruits (often from Siberia, China or Japan).  Good people...very helpful and responsive.  In particular, check out honeyberry which is chock full of antioxidants, easy to grow and hardy to -40°.

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 08:02:27 AM »
On the subject of raising critters for food, here's a good blog post on the relative merits of chickens and rabbits.
American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere....

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 09:00:02 AM »
LP, a note on searching:

For some weird reason, this forum's search engine uses its location as a starting point.  So if you search from the front page for "seeds," you'll get every mention of that term on the entire site.  If you search for the same term from the "gardening and growing your own food" board, you'll only get returns from that single board.

My technique is, if I can't remember what board I saw a what I was looking for, is to search from the front page, see if any of the search excerpts look like what I want, and then go to either that specific post, or to the board that contains it and search again.

As an example, just yesterday I wanted to find the post that had pictures of the "go toilet" I put together out of a five gallon bucket and other stuff.  I couldn't remember what board it had originally be posted in, so I searched on "toilet" from the front page.  That got me a zillion returns.  Number ten was "My Bug Out Toilet," which was what I was looking for.  It was in the "What's In Your BOB" board, though, where I would frankly have never thought of looking for it.

Hope this helps.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline xtron

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 10:04:16 PM »
what seeds and in what amount.....

it's not sexy, but it will keep you alive for years.....

corn..dent corn specifically...potatoes..both russets and reds..russetts for storage and reds for fresh use and canning/dehydrating....beans...pintos and kidney..bush variety for both

how many people ypu are prepping for will determine how much of each you plant..plant twice as much as you think you need...it will probably be half of what you need...
these 3 will be the base of my families post SHTF diet...but it isn't all we plant  sweet corn
onions...mellons...beets...green beans..peas..carrots...and cabbage..lots of cabbage

this year i will have 3500 square feet in garden.  i am planning on using a semi intensive planting skeme...double cropping..and using every square foot possable..tere will be few very narrow isles between wide rows.
i will try to keep up dated posts on how things are being planted and progressing.
the most important part of gardening is the planning stage...the better thought out the garden, the better it preforms
good luck and good gardening

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 11:07:40 PM »
You might add kale (cabbage family) to your list.  It's cold-hardy, heat-hardy, tasty and nutritious.  We found the curly blue/green varieties are way more bug and disease resistant than the reds. 

Speaking of seeds, we get almost a pound of seeds from every golden amaranth plant.  Spaced 18-24" in a long wide bed, the yield beats any other 'grain' we can think of.  It's a popular crop around the world, but essentially unknown in North America.  Great stuff; can be cooked in many ways.

We like looking for new things to grow that are proven in other cultures.  There's a garden center nearby run by a family from Taiwan, and they've introduced us to a number of tasty new foods that are now staples in our garden.  Taiwanese sweet potatoes grown for their leaves, water spinach, and malabar spinach for example, provide wonderful greens in the hot summer months and have high yield in small space.