Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Refrigeration Without Electricity  (Read 2982 times)

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
Refrigeration Without Electricity
« on: November 10, 2012, 02:10:09 PM »
While propane-fueled refrigerators are probably not an option for apartment dwellers, they are worth looking into for someone with a stand-alone house and/or BOL.  For instance, this 8-cubic-feet refrigerator can run on either 110-volt AC electricity or propane.  When using propane, it burns .275 gallons per 24 hours, so one 20-pound propane tank will fuel it for about 17 days.  Since the linked refrigerator is built by Dometic, I suspect that Dometic's smaller refrigerators might use even less propane.

Meanwhile, I found this Web page that features full-sized, propane-fueled refrigerators that can be converted to use natural gas in place of propane.  Even the largest CrystalCold refrigerator from this site is rated to run for 13+ days on 20 pounds of propane....  8)  Unfortunately, I saw no indicator on the linked site that CrystalCold refrigerators were fitted for 2-way (propane and electric) operation.  :-[
American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere....

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
Re: Refrigeration Without Electricity
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 08:47:41 PM »
Wow.  I note that they offer a 3-way power fridge at 5 cubic feet - 110V, propane, and 12v.

http://www.gas-refrigerators.com/dometic-americana.html

I wonder what sort of power usage it needs at 12 v?

UPDATE:  I found it.  16-20 AmpHr/day at 32D F.  Probably less if you set it a bit higher.  Which means I could run it off my battery bank for two weeks without taking the charge below 50% - more or less.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 09:06:38 PM by Bill Quick »
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline ND Martin

Re: Refrigeration Without Electricity
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 12:10:32 AM »
CrystalCold products are built by Amish in Illinois.  Their site gives specs, but no prices.

Thinking beyond 'temporary' grid-down scenarios, do refrigerators make sense?  Freezers, yes...but you can make ice to use for refrigeration without power consumption. 

I'm exploring the notion of cooking wood.  ;-))  Seriously, by heating wood and/or other biomass in a closed 'reactor' you can generate both biogas for appliances and biochar for soil amendment in the garden.  Lots of info available.