Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Shorts shortage...  (Read 1484 times)

Offline ND Martin

Shorts shortage...
« on: November 06, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »
Hurricane Sandy has created a microcosm of a SHTF scenario that's all too real for those who have lost everthing to the wind and waves.  I saw this (ahem) brief piece that highlights an item that's rarely mentioned in lists for preps.

MYFOXNY.COM - Staten Island Borough President James Molinaro says the people of his community are in desperate need of fresh underwear.

"It's like a third-world nation," Molinaro said in a phone interview on Tuesday's Good Day New York.

He says so much other clothing has been donated that they are not accepting anymore.

"What we do need right now is underwear; undergarments for children and adults," Molinaro says.  "That we need desperately."

Molinaro says that people can bring underwear to...

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
Re: Shorts shortage...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 10:59:42 PM »
Huh.   And as it happens, I have something like a dozen brand new underdrawers stashed away.  I felt a little foolish doing so, but....  ;D
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Langenator

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 08:21:28 AM »
I think these folks' problem is they didn't stash them above the high water mark.

Though, as a (former) infantryman, I'm not sure what they're complaining about.  I've gone 10 days without changing my chonies a time or two.  (And I won't bother ya'll with my personal worst.)  Not the greatest feeling in the world, but it's not going to kill you.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 08:43:22 AM »
One word:  Commando.
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline deanathpc

Re: Re: Re: Shorts shortage...
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 09:28:49 AM »

+1

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Langenator

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 12:40:22 PM »

There's a parody of a Tom Petty song in there...at least for the guys.  :D

Just make sure you wipe well...which means you need a good supply of TP.  You can never have too much TP.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Online AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 03:38:30 PM »
I can understand the problem.  After all, when TSHTF, I can foresee a need to report to the Skivvie Exchange Point....  :o
American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere....

Offline cd

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 07:07:15 PM »
I'm confused. From an investment standpoint should I:

A. Be shorting shorts, or
B. Going long underwear?

Inquiring minds wish to know.  ;D

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 07:50:45 PM »
There's a parody of a Tom Petty song in there...at least for the guys.  :D

Just make sure you wipe well...which means you need a good supply of TP.  You can never have too much TP.

I get the strangest looks at Costco when I ask them to get me an entire pallet load of TP, and slide it into the back of the truck.  I don't know what their problem is...
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline CarolinaJoe

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 08:02:48 AM »
I stocked up on TP ages ago - so much in fact that I haven't had to purchase any for a year.  I stopped buying when I realized I may have overstocked. lol  - What can I say, they had some great sales!

Offline Langenator

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 09:01:53 AM »
My wife grabs TP whenever she finds good deals (tough to buy in bulk like Doc when you move every couple of years).  We've got big packages, small packages, all sizes, lots of it.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 10:43:22 AM »
My wife grabs TP whenever she finds good deals (tough to buy in bulk like Doc when you move every couple of years).  We've got big packages, small packages, all sizes, lots of it.

I just got so fed up with the amounts we go through I first did it as a joke on my wife.  Turns out we go through about 2 pallets a year......So, we have a couple of years backup, and as we use one up I replace it, and most importantly rotate it on a FIFO basis.

It's quite bulky, but not at all heavy, so it's not hard to store if you have the room.  The loft in the workshop works just fine for it.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 01:41:33 PM »
I maintain a steady inventory of a dozen 36-roll Costco packs, all bought whenever they go on sale.  Same with paper towels.  They're mostly in the shed or under the beds.   I also keep four boxes of Costo baby wipes on hand.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Langenator

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 04:19:26 PM »
We always have lots of baby wipes.

Then again, we also have baby.  Toddler.  Non-potty trained individual.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline Mr. Bingley

• The Coalition of the Swilling
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 08:58:42 PM »
My Bride, the day before Sandy hit us, went to Kohls and bought us both about two weeks worth of cheap new undies.

I love me that gal.