Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Frankenstorm?  (Read 3711 times)

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
Re: Frankenstorm?
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2012, 10:06:18 AM »
I know I'm preaching to the choir in this forum, but we're now about 48 hours past the expiration point of DHS' "Three Days, Three Ways."

And there's still a whole lot of places without power, etc.
"Three days, three ways" is still the advertising slogan, but real emergency managers have been saying you need to be prepared for a week on your own since Katrina. 
And, actually, for most weather emergencies--blizzard, wind storm--3 days is enough.
Disturbing how many people in NY/NJ are claiming no one told them the storm was coming, though.
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2012, 11:45:29 AM »

Disturbing how many people in NY/NJ are claiming no one told them the storm was coming, though.

I wonder if those are the same people that Hannity finds who can't answer basic questions like the name of the Vice President, who the colonist fought against in the War of Independence, etc.

To not know the storm was coming, they'd basically have to be totally disconnected from every modern form of news media - newspapers, radio, and most TV.  Though I suppose if you just sat in your house watching the Honey Booboo channel you could pull it off.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline CarolinaJoe

« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2012, 12:23:59 PM »
lol - I only recently learned what Honey Booboo was.  - It only served to confirm that my decision to cancel cable TV was a good one.

I may miss out on a few nice shows and not understand bits of pop culture, but I can dodge all the bad stuff and those damn medical commercials. - Those commercials about medical conditions or medications would make me crazy!

Offline Langenator

« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2012, 02:23:23 PM »
Another story about lack of power, looting, and folks arming themselves.  NY Daily News

It's NYC, so the weapons aren't (mostly) guns.  Guy in the picture channelling Burt Reynolds in Deliverance.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2012, 10:14:34 PM »
lol - I only recently learned what Honey Booboo was.  - It only served to confirm that my decision to cancel cable TV was a good one.

I may miss out on a few nice shows and not understand bits of pop culture, but I can dodge all the bad stuff and those damn medical commercials. - Those commercials about medical conditions or medications would make me crazy!

We've been mostly TV-free since the late 70s or early 80s (when were the Dukes of Hazzard on?), with only a few lapses back into insanity. A couple years ago I tried to watch TV while visiting my sister (she has a TV in almost every room!) and found nothing worth watching. Kind of sad. There used to be some good shows.

What or who is Honey Booboo? Is that like Yogi's little pal? Or a modern monstrosity?
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

"While we have the opportunity, let us do good to all." Galatians 6:10

BonniesBooks.net

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2012, 11:24:59 PM »
Apparently Bloomberg kept the National Guard out of the city because the only armed people he wanted in town were the NYPD.

And the criminals and looters, of course.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2012, 05:35:35 AM »
Honey Boo Boo is a little girl whom needs a good spanking and her mouth washed out with soap.  Then her parents need some parenting classes, lessons on etiquette and manners and morals. (it's a show about self professing redneck parents whom enter their little girl in those beauty pageants.  Beauty pageants for little girls are a whole other topic)  This is a very disgusting show in my opinion.  I have noticed that the latest tv shows depicting toothless, mannerless, dirty disgusting people who profess to be rednecks are becoming the popular ones....no thanks....My father always told me their is NO excuse for being dirty, (unless you JUST got off work) and no excuse for poor manners!  Spitting your tobacco into a bottle in front of a television camera amongst other things is just disgusting! And this is the type of lifestyle this show depicts.  I watched it once, when I was sitting with an elderly woman at her house (I had not control over the television) and Honey Boo Boo was talking about her private part and she refered it to as a biscuit.  What is WRONG with these parents?
Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2012, 07:16:54 AM »
I had heard of Honey-Boo-Boo from a few people, but basically ignored it.

Then I happened to watch the South Park episode parodying the show.....quite a coincidence, since I hardly ever watch South Park.  I thought it HAD to be way over the top, in typical South Park tradition.

Then I made it a point of actually watching the show.  I still feel.....soiled, that I did.  If anything, South Park was easy on them. 

I weep for civilization, that such a show is actually watched by people.
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline Langenator

« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2012, 08:29:18 AM »
So you can understand how the people who watch that show (and others of that ilk) would be the ones who had no idea the storm was coming.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access

Offline Mr. Bingley

• The Coalition of the Swilling
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2012, 08:57:09 PM »
Well, it's been one hell of a few weeks. Thanks to common sense, ideas/advice from the good folks here and the Good Lord's grace we made it through relatively unscathed. Lost power for 5-6 days, but had food from the fridge/freezer divvied up in coolers and basically had get-togethers with the neighborhood every night as we ate our way through it. Oh and drank our way as well, as I lost track of the bottles/cases of wine consumed.

It is just heartbreaking to see the devastation at the Shore, though. I just live, oh, 4 miles as the crow flies from the ocean and so much is just, well, gone.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2012, 10:00:07 PM »
And preppers are crazy?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/05/superstorm-sandy-starting-to-bring-out-worst-in-public-along-east-coast/
This is what got me:
A Staten Island man was arrested after he was caught hoarding gas after he filled up 30 five-gallon buckets with fuel from a station in upstate Orange. The man intended to bring the buckets of gas back to his Richmond Hill neighborhood where neighbors desperately needed it for cars and generators.
You know who they'd start calling criminal hoarders next, don't you?

That's why OPSEC is such an important consideration as far as your personal preps goes.

"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Langenator

« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2012, 10:08:47 PM »
A Staten Island man was arrested after he was caught hoarding gas after he filled up 30 five-gallon buckets with fuel from a station in upstate Orange. The man intended to bring the buckets of gas back to his Richmond Hill neighborhood where neighbors desperately needed it for cars and generators

So, um, am I reading this right...he's doing the job of standing in line for himself and a bunch of neighbors, and because he came with multiple containers, he's being accused of hoarding? (Which, unless you're violating storage laws, is not against any actual law I know of.)

Or have they imposed actual rationing?  What would they do if I showed up with a pickup with a 30+ gallon tank and wanted to fill it up? (Not to mention maybe a dispenser tank in the bed for another 50 or so.)
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2012, 08:05:46 PM »
Seen on a bulletin board Somewhere In New York:
FEMA: Turning natural disasters into manmade catastrophes since 1979.
Also
First came the disaster, then came FEMA
which is more subtle, I suppose...
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2012, 09:16:44 PM »
...then came FEMA...to complete the destruction.   ;D

Offline Langenator

« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2012, 10:09:56 PM »
Government...if you think our problems are bad...wait til you see our solutions!
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline Langenator

« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2012, 02:11:52 PM »
Some lessons learned.  Came in an email from The Ready Store.

1. The excitement of a power outage wears off around day three.

2. Just because your generator runs smooth, does not mean it’s producing electricity.

3. A couple of cases of bottled water is NOT water storage.

4. You should have as much fuel as water. That includes:
• Propane
• Gas
• Kerosene
• Firewood
• Fire starter (kindling, paper, etc.)

5. If you are not working, chances are nobody else is either. Don’t just sit around, go out and work.

6. You eat a lot more food when you are cold or bored.

7. You need more food than you think if your kids are out of school for 2 weeks.

8. Kids do not like washing their face in cold water.

9. Your 1972 Honda Civic gets to the grocery store as well as your 2012 Escalade, but the Honda allows money left over for heat, food, water, a generator, fire wood, a backup water pump … you get the idea.

10. The electrical grid is way more fragile than I thought.

11. Think of the foods that calm you down and help you think – a cup of hot chocolate, a glass of milk and a ding dong before bed, etc. You’ll need comfort food.

12. You quickly become the guy in the neighborhood who knows how to wire a generator to the electrical panel, directly wire the furnace to a small generator, or get the well pump running on inverter power.

13. A woman who can cook a fine meal by candle light over the BBQ or open fire is worth her weight in gold.

14. It takes a lot of firewood to keep a fire going all day and into the evening for heat.

15. In an emergency men stock up on food, women stock up on toilet paper.

16. I was surprised how many things run on electricity!

17. You can never have enough matches.

18. All of the expensive clothes in the closet mean nothing if they don’t keep you warm. The same goes for shoes.

19. You cannot believe the utility companies. They are run by politicians! Or so it seems.

20. “A man with a chainsaw that knows how to use it is a thing of beauty”.

21. Most things don’t take much power to operate. Things like:
• Computers
• Phones
• Radios
• TV
• Lights

22. Some things take a ton of power to operate:
• Fridge
• Toaster
• Freezer
• Hot plate
• Microwave

23. It gets darker a lot sooner than you think.

24. Getting out of the house is very important. Even if it is cold. Make your home the semi-warm place to come home to, not the cold prison that you are stuck in.

25. Someone in your family must play or learn to play guitar.

26. There were also many things that were not learned from Hurricane Sandy, but reinforced. Those things were the importance of my family and their love and support, especially my lovely spouse and that I am very thankful for the upbringing and experiences that have taught me and brought me to where I am.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2012, 02:53:34 PM »
Some lessons learned. 

11. Think of the foods that calm you down and help you think – a cup of hot chocolate, a glass of milk and a ding dong before bed, etc.
:o
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Musket User

« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2012, 06:14:31 PM »
 the America I grew up in is gone, never to return. My grandparents knew the importance of "putting by" stuff they lived and raised large families during the great depression. My parents generation began to forsake this idea in the name of modernism. My generation has embraced the far communist idea of "It's the governments job to provide for me".
 I alone in my family understand the value of my grandparents. I have been scolded for not supporting the"proper beliefs"
 Frankenstorm has added to my convictions that I am acting in my best interests.
 What burns me is help was turned away because they were not union.
 Now it is a matter of surviving what does happen.

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2012, 06:56:42 PM »

11. Think of the foods that calm you down and help you think – a cup of hot chocolate, a glass of milk and a ding dong before bed, etc. You’ll need comfort food.

At least in the short run, where are we supposed to find Ding Dongs, given the ongoing liquidation of Hostess Brands:'(
American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere....

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2012, 08:32:37 PM »
I believe that there are a whole lot of "Ding Dongs" in Washington DC

Musket User....you are 100 percent correct....and I think you will find those of like minds on this board....I really miss my Grandparents and the wisdom they had.  I loved their lifestyle....

Langenator   that's a pretty neat article....Ladies take note on the cooking thing.....and just for info sake....I think we ladies think about the tp most of all is because we USE it the most....hahahahah!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 08:34:59 PM by Amisheggpicker »

Offline Suburban

« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2012, 12:15:13 AM »
Just because your generator runs smooth, does not mean it’s producing electricity.

Yep.  Just because you own a gun that does not make you any safer if you don't know how to use it and have not fired it with the ammo you carry.

If you have not run your house, or whatever part of it you will be powering from the generator, for at least one tank of gasoline, you don't know what will happen if you need to use the generator in an emergency.

Your 1972 Honda Civic gets to the grocery store as well as your 2012 Escalade

True, but a 2012 Civic gets far better mileage than a 1972 Civic, and is vastly more reliable.

21. Most things don’t take much power to operate. Things like:
• Computers
• Phones
• Radios
• TV
• Lights

True if the displays on the TV and computer are modern flat screens and not too huge.  LED and CFL lamps are way more energy efficient than the old fashioned light bulb.

22. Some things take a ton of power to operate:
• Fridge
• Toaster
• Freezer
• Hot plate
• Microwave

Anything that makes heat uses a huge amount of electricity.

Modern refrigerators on the other hand can be amazingly energy efficient.  Our absolutely huge Samsung refrigerator uses an average of 60 watts of power (monthly average power usage as measured) and just 120 watts while actively cooling.  That is very little power from the generator.

Those things were the importance of my family and their love and support, especially my lovely spouse and that I am very thankful for the upbringing and experiences that have taught me and brought me to where I am.

Amen!

Offline Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2012, 09:21:25 PM »
Langenator   that's a pretty neat article....Ladies take note on the cooking thing.....and just for info sake....I think we ladies think about the tp most of all is because we USE it the most....hahahahah!

Mom told me that I noticed the difference in "plumbing" when I was about 3. For some reason my male cousin & I were being bathed at the same time. I pointed & said, "I want one of those!"

Now I know why - I'd use less tp.  ;D
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

"While we have the opportunity, let us do good to all." Galatians 6:10

BonniesBooks.net

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2012, 07:06:21 AM »
hahahha..Bonnie..