Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Frankenstorm?  (Read 3538 times)

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
Re: Frankenstorm?
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2012, 01:40:16 PM »
Yes, I've been wondering about that myself.

"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 10:51:31 AM »
Hey folks, we came through the storm unscathed, but not so with some friends of mine in the area.....got some interesting things to tell you about the frankenstorm...but we have had an unexpected death of a young person in our extended family (not storm related)...so I am kinda busy with out of town guests etc...

but in the mean time check out this post...this is what this site is all about....to prevent this situation.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/01/tensions-boil-over-at-gas-stations-as-pumps-run-dry-in-wake-sandy/
Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 07:35:42 PM »
And these are the folks who think we're weird, you know.

"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Langenator

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 07:51:11 PM »
No doubt.

Because the folks like us were sitting at home with a cup of coffee.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2012, 08:09:38 PM »
And these are the folks who think we're weird, you know.

Days of our Trailers had an excellent photo-based post pertaining to our supposed craziness....  8)
American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere....

Offline Langenator

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2012, 08:29:30 PM »
Here's another story similar to the one above, from yahoo:

http://news.yahoo.com/exasperation-builds-day-3-storm-stricken-nyc-202314418.html

I had to laugh at the guy from Brooklyn who was trying to get to Florida, but didn't want to drive on the NJ Turnpike because he was afraid he wouldn't be able to find gas.  Not an unreasonable concern, mind you.

But apparently taking a route other than I-95 all the way to FL didn't occur to him.  Hurrah for paper maps.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2012, 09:04:24 PM »
There's another story about people in Lower Manhattan foraging in garbage dumpsters behind supermarkets.

That's four days after an event with plenty of warning, and they're so hungry they're digging in garbage cans for sustenance.

And we're the weird ones!   ???

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2012, 11:36:35 PM »
There's another story about people in Lower Manhattan foraging in garbage dumpsters behind supermarkets.

That's four days after an event with plenty of warning, and they're so hungry they're digging in garbage cans for sustenance.

And we're the weird ones!   ???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4CXTKe6y3s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Wow.  I can't imagine not even having a few days worth of food in the house. Even when I had an apartment, and I'd never heard of prepping.

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2012, 08:32:54 AM »
It's great that Bloomberg has his priorities in order - taking emergency responders, generators, trucks and other assets being used in the recovery effort to support the NY Marathon.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/si-councilman-slams-ny-marathon-plan-wake-sandy-article-1.1195426

And no doubt these 1750 porta-potties would just be getting dusty in storage this wee:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/02/sports/new-york-city-marathon-a-restroom-plan-can-relieve-some-worry.html?_r=0

Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline Langenator

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2012, 08:48:11 AM »
And of course, there are looters, although they're not getting as much press as they did in New Orleans after Katrina.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/31/hurricane-sandy-looting-brooklyn-coney-island_n_2047183.html

Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2012, 10:18:27 AM »
So I was reading on the Alexjonesinfowars website, that those on food stamps can't get food because of the electrical outages.  The food stamps now come on little plastic cards like our debit and credit cards....no power, no swipey, no food....

What really bugs me is those folks had PLENTY of warning to get food and gas etc.   How dumbed down can we get?

Even my 82 year old mother knew to fill her water jugs up, get some extra gas for her generator and make sure she had plenty of food on hand! (no problem there...Mom always has a fully stocked pantry....I guess this nut (myself) didn't fall far from the tree!
Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2012, 11:14:35 AM »
What really bugs me is that folks like us would be expected to provide for those "less fortunate." 

What this really means is that we should impoverish ourselves and our families to take care of people much stupider than we were.

My opinion is that stupidity should hurt.  But I suppose that would be considered immoral.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2012, 01:05:18 PM »
What really bugs me is that folks like us would be expected to provide for those "less fortunate." 

What this really means is that we should impoverish ourselves and our families to take care of people much stupider than we were.

Are you complaining about a post-disaster scenario, or our current tax/redistribution system?  ;)
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2012, 04:04:12 PM »
Well, given that both are disasters....  >:(

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2012, 12:14:20 AM »
I would like to point out that if you did have a weeks worth of food and water, and you kept it on the ground floor, or your whole house collapsed, you'd be in the same boat.

Of course you probably would've followed the evac order, so it would've been a moot point...

Offline Dale00

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2012, 12:20:10 AM »
Victim mentality is powerful and politicians love to pander to it.Mayor Bloomberg must be working overtime trying to rationalize the failure of his beloved system.

The whole country could take a lesson from the Mormons. Here's their take on it:
Self-reliance is a simple concept that encourages each of us to take responsibility for our own needs—physical, emotional, spiritual, social, and economic.

/quote]http://www.lds.org/topic/self-reliance/

Radical thinking: People should take care of themselves.
"Test everything. Hold onto the good." 1 Thes 5:21

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2012, 12:33:46 AM »
Of course you probably would've followed the evac order, so it would've been a moot point...
If I had followed an evac order, I'd have had a month's worth of stuff in the SUV, and that's before I even loaded anything extra.... ;D

Offline Langenator

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2012, 08:10:28 AM »
If I had followed an evac order, I'd have had a month's worth of stuff in the SUV, and that's before I even loaded anything extra.... ;D

I don't think I could fit a month's worth of supplies in my minivan with 4 kids...actually one of the reasons I've been thinking about buying a travel trailer.  Keep supplies loaded and have a portable place to sleep.

Story about Staten Island, which seems to be really bad.  But the one thing I kept thinking reading the story was "Why didn't you people evacuate before the storm hit?"
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline Langenator

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2012, 09:50:13 AM »
Another story about Staten Island, this time from the NY Post.

From my understanding, the residents of Staten Island are mostly white, working/middle class...

Why does President Obama hate white people? (Or do I need to go to the Black Hole to say that?)
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline Langenator

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2012, 12:16:26 PM »
I know I'm monopolizing the thread, but this was too good to pass up:

Victoria's Secret Helps the NY National Guard

Seems the NY Guard had neither generators nor forklifts at their armory in NYC (I'm guessing the motor pool where that stuff is kept is outside the city), and VS had that stuff on hand ready for their upcoming show.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2012, 02:22:33 PM »
From Weather Underground (AKA "Wunderground")

(Full size at link above)
and

« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 02:24:35 PM by Drang »
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2012, 05:11:08 PM »
FEMA is apparently doing its usual godawful job, but since a Democrat is President, it's not making coast to coast headline news, as it did with GWB.

Offline 9thInfDivRvrRat

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2012, 05:28:39 PM »
While you may be  right, Bill, that this may not be making coast to coast headlines, most of us here are aware of it, and I ain't afraid to spread the word to those with whom I come in contact. Might be enough of a wake up call to some folks who see on TV how easy it is to become beggars at the dot-gov's mercy.
Glad to hear from some of you guys in that area that you've come through all right, so far. Keep us updated as to how you're doing.
Used to be anotherone.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2012, 09:51:22 PM »
I know I'm preaching to the choir in this forum, but we're now about 48 hours past the expiration point of DHS' "Three Days, Three Ways."

And there's still a whole lot of places without power, etc.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline Ken

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2012, 09:20:51 AM »
You know, I hate to be bearer of bad news ( or more bad news, in this case.) but this is just the beginning of part of the 7 years of bad Atlantic storms. Then it switches back to the Pacific. (We are a few years in, but there are a few more years of bad storms, not necessarily hitting the northeast)

It ain't over, 'till it's over.  It's been forecast that two major storms will hit the east coast by 2015' and believe or not neither Irene or Sandy were considered major storms.

Oh, yeah.  A late storm like Sandy, usually is followed by cold weather. (Early Winter)
“If mankind is to survive, then throughout man’s history except for a very few years the word “ship” will mean “space ship.”
Arthur C. Clarke

Your Ad Here - Email for Info
Help Support E-P.com
Even A Buck Makes A Difference!
Or Make Convenient Monthly
Donations By Selecting
A Payment Option
Payment Options