Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: From Mr. Bingley: Hurricane Coming? Here's What to Do  (Read 8073 times)

Offline Nietzsche

Re: From Mr. Bingley: Hurricane Coming? Here's What to Do
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2012, 07:15:09 AM »
3rd day of rain.  1 more to go.  At least getting to work wasn't bad.  I only drive 1.7 miles to get here.  The wife works in downtown Norfolk.  She will be staying home today.  It floods there with any rain at high tide.  Today is supposed to be the worst for wind and flooding.  All the schools are closed, the shipyards and bases are reduced manning, and transit will be shutdown for high tide today.  Not as bad as it could have been.  Yet.  But, I believe Tidewater will survive another day.  There are a lot of people that live in low areas that are flooded out.  But, it certainly isn't the first time for them.  At some point you just have to move to higher ground.  There was a lady on the news last night talking about how FEMA and the tax payers were just going to have to fix her damage, AGAIN.  Ticks me off.  Big money for water front property, then they want us to pay for storm damage.  Good luck to the rest of you in the way.  Hopefully, the media is hyping again just to get the ratings and it will be less than expected.
What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

Offline Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2012, 10:56:21 AM »
I thought I'd be clever and look up prices for hand pumps for deep wells.  Turns out they are more expensive than generators! 

Yeah - hand pumps won't work on a 600 foot well unless you're superman.  ;D  We've looked into getting a generator but just haven't been able to afford it. Maybe someday. sigh.
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

"While we have the opportunity, let us do good to all." Galatians 6:10

BonniesBooks.net

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2012, 12:20:02 PM »
Here's a current pic of Atlantic City - main landfall isn't expected for several hours yet:

"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2012, 12:22:25 PM »
» Gangs Plan Hurricane Looting Spree Via Twitter Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
Scores of Twitter users have flooded the social networking site announcing their plans to go on looting sprees once Hurricane Sandy makes landfall, as the New York National Guard announced it would put troops on duty in Long Island to prevent such activity.
Be careful and be ready, folks.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Mr. Bingley

• The Coalition of the Swilling
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2012, 09:02:52 PM »
Bill I spent every night with the kukri in hand and the pump nearby.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2012, 09:46:51 PM »
Great to hear from you, Mr. B!  I was sorta worried.

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2012, 05:35:09 AM »
Did you lose power Mr Bingley?
Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2012, 07:15:34 AM »
oh I see on another post that you did...maybe you could write a little piece about what it was like for you.

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2012, 07:29:50 AM »
notes from Hurricane Sandy

1.  We just got the high winds.  It toppled some trees by pulling them out of the ground, roots and all because the ground was so soggy.  I didn't get any pics, because I didn't have my camera with me...Different areas were without of electricity for a while.

2.  The ground was so soggy and muddy that I had to put the vehicle in 4 wheel drive to get to work. 

3.  Even as far west as we were from the storm, generators were not to be had.  I did purchase a new one from home depot, and it's a good thing I called the order in, and had him hold it until I could get up to the store the next day because he told me that within minutes of me calling, he had sold out of the generators.  He said he was getting calls from NY and NJ to see if they had any generators left.  They were willing to travel that far.

4.  Folks, you NEED to learn how to survive WITHOUT electricity...in any weather conditions.   Also, you need to know how to preserve your food that you have in the fridge and freezer without using electricity also.  Learning to can is a MUST if you don't want to depend on the government.  It is a very dumb mistake to think the government is going to save you...I know of family members in Cleveland, Ohio whom were without electricity for days because of Hurricane Sandy.  They lost the contents of their freezer because they did not know how to preserve it.  And the insurance companies will pay for lost food...I find this outrageous!  As long as there is someone to bail us out...we are not going to learn...and then one day the bottom is going to drop out and no one will be left to bail us out...Then we will be left with NO knowledge on what to do to save ourselves!

5.  Change your mindset that you can't survive without electricity....you can...and you can nicely...and you can do it without anyone even knowing that you don't have electricity.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2012, 09:44:58 AM »
It's only been within the past century or so that everybody in the world wasn't surviving without electricity.

The key thing to remember is that what people began to use electricity for had long been done by burning stuff - coal, wood, oil, kerosene, natural gas.  

If you approach the problems from that point of view, most things - except for refrigeration - can be reasonably easily handled.  And what those pre-electric folks substituted for refrigeration was food preservation techniques.

I've tried to arrange things so that I can provide several years worth of refrigeration for myself - see here: http://www.emergency-preps.com/index.php?topic=408.0 - but if needs be, I can make do without, because I have several other sources of energy for cooking, lighting, etc.

Online Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2012, 04:01:55 PM »
OBTW, I was speaking to a friend who works at a big-box home improvement store....he said that the ONLY way people even here in PDARK were getting gensets last week was to order them online for store pickup.  There were none to be had off the floor in his store, anyway.  And the only impact we had here near Sodom-on-the-Rideau was some brisk winds....

So, something to think about:  Buy the thing online for store pickup if you wait until the last minute to buy one.
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2012, 06:20:05 PM »
It's only been within the past century or so that everybody in the world wasn't surviving without electricity.

The key thing to remember is that what people began to use electricity for had long been done by burning stuff - coal, wood, oil, kerosene, natural gas.  

If you approach the problems from that point of view, most things - except for refrigeration - can be reasonably easily handled.  And what those pre-electric folks substituted for refrigeration was food preservation techniques.

As I posted in this thread, even refrigeration can be handled by burning propane.
American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere....

Offline Langenator

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2012, 10:20:55 PM »

Cooking and lighting I can do...I've actually got three different camp-stoves, a classic Coleman two burner, an MSR Dragonfly multifuel backpacking stove, and on that runs on the 2 lb propane bottles.

Other than maybe a genset, that's about the best I can do, given my (career induced) requirement to move every couple of years.

Depending on my next duty station, I may try to get a heater of some sort.  KS and CO can get pretty cold in the winter.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Online Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2012, 07:14:21 AM »
Cooking and lighting I can do...I've actually got three different camp-stoves, a classic Coleman two burner, an MSR Dragonfly multifuel backpacking stove, and on that runs on the 2 lb propane bottles.

Other than maybe a genset, that's about the best I can do, given my (career induced) requirement to move every couple of years.

Depending on my next duty station, I may try to get a heater of some sort.  KS and CO can get pretty cold in the winter.

There are various adapters that allow using large (5# and larger) propane tanks on devices that use only the 1# bottles, and vice-versa.  This allows using a 1LB cylinder on a large bbq, or a 20# on a lantern, etc.  There are also adapters that allow using a propane cylinder on a classic Coleman stove (it replaces the tank/regulator, and fits inside the stove for storage). 

All are highly recommended!
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2012, 09:38:24 AM »
I have all the various adapters, including the one that lets me fill 1# tanks off 20# tanks.  Heat is not generally a major, life threatening issue where I live, but I do have two propane-fueled heaters.  I wouldn't use them to try to heat the whole house, but they're quite sufficient to handle the kitchen/living room downstairs.

What I keep meaning to do is see about getting the LP conversion kit for my natural gas kitchen stove.   Basically, I think all you have to do is change the burners.  It's on the to-do list.

Online Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2012, 02:04:54 PM »
Change the orificies, where the burners sort of attach to the stove....there is a little nozzle in there, for propane it needs to be smaller since propane has more BTU's per volume (more carbon atoms to break apart).  It's certainly a DIY kind of job, once you find the right orifice.

Offline oldguy52

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2012, 05:40:16 PM »
Hey Doc.... I hate to sound so ignorant, but what the heck is PDARK?
O.G.

"Stupid is supposed to be painful, it's nature's way of learnin' ya" - Me, 1994

When one finds himself living in interesting times, it is prudent to become as uninteresting as possible.... Me, 2011

Online Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2012, 06:20:30 PM »
Hey Doc.... I hate to sound so ignorant, but what the heck is PDARK?

The Peoples Demokratic Arktik Republik of Kanukistan....... Specifically Ontario Oblast, Ottawagrad or Sodom-on-the-Rideau

Offline Mr. Bingley

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2012, 07:04:05 PM »
It's certainly a DIY kind of job, once you find the right orifice.

jimminy christmas Doc, can I send you a bill for cleaning my screen?

I needed a laugh like that!  :D

Offline oldguy52

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2012, 07:16:49 PM »

The Peoples Demokratic Arktik Republik of Kanukistan....... Specifically Ontario Oblast, Ottawagrad or Sodom-on-the-Rideau

Thanks Doc. Cleared that right up for me.

Not sure why but I was thinking you were from further west.... Montana or such.

That's what I get for thinking.
O.G.

When one finds himself living in interesting times, it is prudent to become as uninteresting as possible.... Me, 2011

Online Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2012, 07:22:17 PM »
Thanks Doc. Cleared that right up for me.

Not sure why but I was thinking you were from further west.... Montana or such.

That's what I get for thinking.

I am.  I teach a few months of the year at a medical school here, and work in the local medical system - which is just as poorly structured and run as those in the US, just in different ways.

Offline CarolinaJoe

« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2012, 07:35:16 PM »
All of my food stuff can be prepared and eaten without cooking, but most would taste better heated.  So, I have a couple different kinds of camping stoves if needed, but I will probably end up just using a little folding stove and some Sterno cans.

Since I don't have to cook for several people, just myself here, i figure the Sterno stove is plenty for warming up a can of ravioli or heating a cup of water.  -  This is something I will try out later this month.

Offline oldguy52

« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »

I am.  I teach a few months of the year at a medical school here, and work in the local medical system - which is just as poorly structured and run as those in the US, just in different ways.

Interesting. You can be a doctor in Canada. Dual citizenship maybe? I didn't know one could do such a thing. Or, maybe you were from there in the first place. Just curious. Hope I'm not being too nosy.

Yeah and it looks like the medical system is probably gonna get a darned site worse down here, just shortly. God help us.
O.G.

Online Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2012, 08:03:42 PM »
Interesting. You can be a doctor in Canada. Dual citizenship maybe? I didn't know one could do such a thing. Or, maybe you were from there in the first place. Just curious. Hope I'm not being too nosy.

Yeah and it looks like the medical system is probably gonna get a darned site worse down here, just shortly. God help us.

No, it wasn't  much of a problem for me to get licensed up here.  Being asked to teach at a medical school helps.  Others have had troubles, though. 

As far as dual citizenship, no.  Although I found out last week that I'd be eligible the end of this month.....

Offline Mr. Bingley

« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2012, 08:28:52 PM »
Thanks for y'all's kind thoughts; I'm just so grateful to God for pulling us through. There are lots and lots of folks I know and around here who are in such bad shape. So many have lost everything, and now face not only uncertain housing but also uncertain job prospects, as the train lines are washed out; it will be weeks before they're up and running again and for those of us who work in Lower Manhattan, well, it's just a mess, really. I think there are many office buildings there that won't be inhabitable for weeks, some maybe never, and when you tally the number of businesses (and employees) they held (my building has 27 floors and is one of the smaller ones) well, the hit to the economy has yet to be figured out, it seems to me.

Amish, to reply, well, thanks to folks here we did ok. I know those of you on the Gulf Coast are old hands at this, but man did we have a scare. Once the weather reports started being pretty clear about what was heading our way I honestly didn't have tons to do (beyond worrying and bringing inside absolutely everything) as I had hand-cranked radios and lights, plenty of canned goods, plenty of water and dry vittles, first aid kits, a couple hundred pounds of charcoal if the natural gas went out, etc. I filled up all the cars on Sunday (and there were no lines at all...I was shocked. Most people really do live in a bubble) and got a couple more cases of bottled water from Costco and two loaves of bread with the farthest-out expiry I could find and just hunkered down. On Monday morning I transferred frozen and fridge goods to various coolers per Sis's Plan. The power went out shortly after 2 in the afternoon, and I'm not ashamed to admit I was absolutely terrified for the next 8 hours Tuesday night as she came ashore and the winds lashed us, as we have several very tall (70'-80') tulip/yellow poplar trees about the house and had any of them come down on the house we would have been completely, totally smashed into pulpish goo. The Lab and I were fighting for space under the piano; my Bride had to fend for herself  ;)  Around 11 pm it got silent and we all breathed a huge sigh of relief, as we had been hearing crashing outside all night and somehow none of it seemed to have hit our house too badly.

Large trees and wires down all around the neighborhood, happily mostly missing houses and cars. We're only abut 4 miles as the crow flies from Sea Bright and all those places that got simply pummeled but we're up about 150' or so and thickly wooded which seemed to blunt most of it; certainly the weightier portion of the damage was caused by the surge and not the wind in any event. Thank goodness there was very little rain, as that probably would have caused even more trees to topple. We kept hearing on our crank radio about all the devastation so near by but frankly didn't want to waste any gas by playing tourist and no one wanted to leave their house untended; we're in a good area but why take risks? Luckily it was neither August nor January, so even though we didn't have power the house didn't get too uncomfortable, and we spent the next 5 days 'til the power came back on eating our way through the coolers. After sharing a pound of bacon with my Bride for lunch one day I must admit to finding the whole Atkins thing very attractive. Oh and drinking our way, too. Damn, did we wipe out a lot of wine during communal meals with the neighbors! Note to self: double the amount of wine on hand. But all kidding aside I never ventured out unless I had the kukri on my hip. It got some curious glances but there was no possibility of any sort of police response so I wasn't taking any chances. Thankfully it was never needed. We had no power for only about 5-6 days (friends of mine just got it back today...) and aside from losing it again for 5 or so hours during the snowstorm we've been remarkably lucky.

I will say that my Bride has a grudging new appreciation for what little prepping I've done, as it certainly made our experience much more tolerable.

As an aside: for all the hyperbolic media drive me insane with all of their attention-whore "worst blahblahblah EVER' gibberish I have to give the weather folks credit on this one. Pretty much as soon as this formed and was still well south of Jamaica they said this could nail the East Coast and it did. Thankfully the death toll is remarkably low, but the hit to the economy will, in my opinion, be huge.