Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Air Rifle Hunting  (Read 2172 times)

Offline awsten

Air Rifle Hunting
« on: October 19, 2012, 05:22:06 PM »
Wanted to bring this up since a lot of times it goes unmentioned.

Air rifles are a fantastic method of hunting both small and medium game.

They come in pre charged pneumatic (spelling?), multi pump, springers and gas piston.

A typical springer/gas piston is my survivalist favorite. These weapons can deliver a 15 oz., .22 pellet, down range at 750-1000 fps and can put upwards of 20 ft-lbs of energy on target.

There are videos online of springers taking wild hogs with headshots.

A box of 500 pellets can fit in your backpocket and cost around 7 to 8 bucks.

A nice springer will run you 200 bucks, the Benjamin Trail NP XL .22 caliber nitron piston goes for around 300 and is a very nice weapon. They are relatively quite compared to powder guns and WAY less maintenance.

I take dove off my powerline using Ironsites at 30-50 yards. With a scope you can put game down up to 80 yards if you are good and have a nice rig.

Anyways something to think about.

Offline satantroll

Re: Air Rifle Hunting
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 05:49:59 AM »
I want to get a .22 cal air rifle or pistol.  When I was a kid a buddy had a .22 pistol & we took out all sorts of game with that.  I have 2 .77 rifles, but would love an upgrade!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 08:31:35 AM »
Something I've been thinking about for a while.  I just don't know anything about air rifles to make sure I get a good one.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline awsten

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 09:52:52 AM »
Benjamin Sheridan Marauder .22 is a very nice PCP for the money. You can get one right now for like 350-400, problem is it does not have iron sights which means you also have to drop a couple hundred on a nice scope, all in the rig will be around 600-700 but is well worth it imo.

Benjamin Trail Nitron Pistons are very nice weapons. Gas Piston driven air rifles are the future due to their noise reduction, torque elimination, and eliminated spring wear. The only problem with anything spring or gas piston is the force and vibration you place into the weapon each time it is shot, this makes it impractical to put a scope on them as after 1500 shots or so the scope will likely not hold a zero.

This is why I like iron sights for my springers and scopes for PCP...

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 11:45:25 AM »
I too have been thinking about getting one of these.  The simplicity and lower cost appeals to me, and I also consider their relative silence a significant added benefit.

At least I assume they're quieter than standard gunpowder firearms?

Do you have any recommendations for a setup under $300?
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline awsten

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 12:01:35 PM »
For under 300, I would keep an eye out for the Benjamin Trail NP XL .22 caliber. This thing will get you game at 50 yards on iron sights no problem and will last a LONG time...

http://www.bestocked.com/Benjamin-Sheridan-Benjamin-Trail-NP-XL1100-22Cal-BT1122WNP_p_9581.html

There it is for about 250, think you can buy em on Amazon as well. It comes with a scope, so use it till its worn then mount you an optic...

Offline satantroll

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 01:30:52 PM »
Love the aspects of air pistol/rifle hunting: Lower cost, no permit required, silence, etc.  Definitely an effective way to bag small game when required...  Gotta get a .22! 

On a side note; I'm trying to become a decent shot with a slingshot.  This is hard!!!  I figure WTSHTF it might be a good skill to have.  Currently, I could kill a raccoon at about 15 yards (maybe)...  I have a long way to go.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 08:56:17 AM »
Well, in urban/suburban areas anyway, squirrels and such will often let you get withing 15 feet or so before they decide they need a bit more distance.

Now, would zapping rabbits in your garden be considered pest control or hunting over bait?
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline awsten

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 10:56:38 AM »
Any game animal that also has the capacity to be a pest can be taken and eaten if you can prove it was being a pest in non hunting seasons. Even dear have been taken outside of season. It is always a good idea to back yourself up with photo documentation.

Side note, not too many people are gonna get bent out of shape if rabbits come up missing outside of season...

Offline Langenator

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 11:52:13 AM »
Rabbits and squirrels definitely aren't endangered, that's for sure.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline satantroll

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 08:47:36 AM »

Now, would zapping rabbits in your garden be considered pest control or hunting over bait?

I think that if you are protecting your garden/food from pest animals, you're safe from the law.