Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Great Survival Fishing Tactic  (Read 4146 times)

Offline awsten

Great Survival Fishing Tactic
« on: October 19, 2012, 05:08:27 PM »
My grandpa taught me this as it is his prefered method of fishing. Its called Limb-Lining, and it is a great method of fishing without all the time wasted.

The idea is to find a tree (we always used weeping willows) that hangs over the water around 1-6 feet deep. Use a strong line (ensure it has some thickness to avoid cutting through the limb in the event you land a large fish), 100 lb test or better and strong hooks as you could end up hooking something large and don't want it taking your vitally important fishing rig.

You then find a strong but flexible branch, tie off a lead to the limb with the hook secured on the other end, bait it and set it about 6 inches off the bottom. A small current is fine but fastmoving water will not yield too much.

Typical yield is catfish if you use cut-bait, but with live bait you can get most anything.

Be sure to check your lines often as turtles and small brim can be notorious for cleaning hooks or getting hooked altogether.

The beauty of this fishing tactic is you don't have to sit in one spot babysitting a fishing pole while you could be productive elsewhere building shelter or whatever chores need done, and you can fish in multiple places at once.

Anyways one of them quarky things I learned growing up in Texas and going fishing with my grandpa that I realized would be an extremely helpful food gathering tactic if needed.

Offline BooMushroom

Re: Great Survival Fishing Tactic
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 10:45:49 PM »
Illegal in California :p

But this is GREAT to know for if TSHTF.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 09:55:19 AM »
I think it's illegal in a lot of states.  But definitely good if TSHTF.  Or on private property.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline awsten

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 10:22:39 AM »
Conventional Limb lining is fairly accepted and legal, yoyo limb lining however is not because of the dangers with a tripped mechanism that jerks a hook up...

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 11:41:52 AM »
More on the techniques of limb-lining for catfish:

How To Catch Catfish On A Limb
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Haverwilde

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 03:34:17 PM »
Same basic principle will work at a lake as well. As an added come-on rinse off your pots, pans and plates and dump your kitchen scraps at the same point were you set your line.
Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!